The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Don's Healthy Community

I had been using the 20 pound kettlebell for a while and decided to move up to the 30 pounder. Two swings into the exercise and I felt a little pop in my back between the shoulder blades. It wasn't a serious pain...but it was definitely aggravating

the worst! hope it feels better soon.

Listened to this podcast the other day on Creatine. I have been skeptical in the past about this supplement, but a deep dive that I have been doing on Creatine has made me realize that this supplement could be beneficial to a whole host of people all ages! It's not just for weight lifting and it doesn't kill your kidneys or make your hair fall out like some people purport. Creatine is the most studied supplement out there with lots of good evidence that it does great things.

The podcast host is from New Zealand and the guest is from Canada so the English dialects are different from us crazy yanks! This was a good one and makes a possibly complicated subject very easy to understand!

What are some good sources of B12?
Great question? In food the best sources are going to be beef, fish, shellfish, milk, and eggs. Some sources will say that cereals are a good source of Vitamin B12, but know this, cereals are fortified with B12 and other nutrients and may be synthetic or not so bio-available versions of B12. In eggs, most of the B12 is in the yolk. For fish, the fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, sardines, trout will have the most. But other fish have a significant amount also. Beef organ meets like liver have a substantial amount of B12. But if you don't like liver, a good ole steak will have more than enough for you.

From plant sources...it's really hard to get B12. A lot of vegans will get it from fortified nutritional yeast and cereals. The following is a quote directly from the Vegan Society web page, "Very low B12 intakes can cause anemia and nervous system damage. The only reliable vegan sources of B12 are foods fortified with B12 (including some plant milks, some soy products and some breakfast cereals) and B12 supplements, such as our very own VEG 1. Vitamin B12, whether in supplements, fortified foods, or animal products, comes from micro-organisms. Most vegans consume enough B12 to avoid anemia and nervous system damage, but many do not get enough to minimize potential risk of heart disease or pregnancy complications."

If you eat a fair amount of animal products especially the ones I mentioned above. From Healthline, "One grilled flat iron steak (about 190 grams) provides 467% of the DV for vitamin B12."

If you take a drug like Metformin or any kind of stomach acid blockers you might want to get checked out by the doc and get your B vitamins checked at your next visit. If they tell you to take a supplement, most B Complex vitamins will do. But I am picky about what I take. I pretty much limit most of my supplement usage to two brands, Now and Jarrow. Currently I am taking this B6, B12, and Folate supplement:

https://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formu...words=jarrow+b12+and+b6&qid=1650073666&sr=8-5

If you do take a B12 supplement, try to get one that has the Methylcobalamin. It's a very bio-available form of B12.

I am also linking a B12 fact sheet from the NIH that I think is pretty good.

And the last two links at the bottom are from the quotes earlier in my post. I hope this helps a good bit. It at least gets you started. Let me know if you have any questions!

Great question? In food the best sources are going to be beef, fish, shellfish, milk, and eggs. Some sources will say that cereals are a good source of Vitamin B12, but know this, cereals are fortified with B12 and other nutrients and may be synthetic or not so bio-available versions of B12. In eggs, most of the B12 is in the yolk. For fish, the fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, sardines, trout will have the most. But other fish have a significant amount also. Beef organ meets like liver have a substantial amount of B12. But if you don't like liver, a good ole steak will have more than enough for you.

From plant sources...it's really hard to get B12. A lot of vegans will get it from fortified nutritional yeast and cereals. The following is a quote directly from the Vegan Society web page, "Very low B12 intakes can cause anemia and nervous system damage. The only reliable vegan sources of B12 are foods fortified with B12 (including some plant milks, some soy products and some breakfast cereals) and B12 supplements, such as our very own VEG 1. Vitamin B12, whether in supplements, fortified foods, or animal products, comes from micro-organisms. Most vegans consume enough B12 to avoid anemia and nervous system damage, but many do not get enough to minimize potential risk of heart disease or pregnancy complications."

If you eat a fair amount of animal products especially the ones I mentioned above. From Healthline, "One grilled flat iron steak (about 190 grams) provides 467% of the DV for vitamin B12."

If you take a drug like Metformin or any kind of stomach acid blockers you might want to get checked out by the doc and get your B vitamins checked at your next visit. If they tell you to take a supplement, most B Complex vitamins will do. But I am picky about what I take. I pretty much limit most of my supplement usage to two brands, Now and Jarrow. Currently I am taking this B6, B12, and Folate supplement:

https://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formu...words=jarrow+b12+and+b6&qid=1650073666&sr=8-5

If you do take a B12 supplement, try to get one that has the Methylcobalamin. It's a very bio-available form of B12.

I am also linking a B12 fact sheet from the NIH that I think is pretty good.

And the last two links at the bottom are from the quotes earlier in my post. I hope this helps a good bit. It at least gets you started. Let me know if you have any questions!

Doc recommends less meat so I am tweaking a bit. Looks like liver it is once or twice a week for now. I absolutely love liver and onions with bacon. Yogurt and eggs in the morning should round my B12 intake out nicely.

Last edited:
I know there are a lot of y'all who are trying to get beefy and buff. This is probably the "end all to be all" podcast on strength training, hypertrophy, and training for endurance. I will admit that there was some info in here that went a little over my head, but if you muscle through those parts, there is a TON to learn. A little about the podcast:

My guest is Dr. Andy Galpin, Professor of Kinesiology at California State University, Fullerton, and one of the foremost experts in the world on the science and application of methods to increase strength, hypertrophy and endurance performance. We discuss fundamental principles of strength and hypertrophy training and building endurance, the mechanisms underlying them and we review specific protocols to optimize training and recovery. We also discuss hydration, sleep, nutrition, supplements, and mental tools that can be leveraged to accelerate adaptations leading to enhanced strength, muscle growth and/or endurance.

As an aside, the Huberman Lab podcast is an amazing resource for health and wellness in a lot of respects. Andrew Huberman is a neuroscientist and Professor at the Stanford University School of Medicine. He has a lot of different guests on and his topics range from nutrition, to exercise, to neuro and biological processes. And so much more. He always backs his stuff up with data and research and is probably one of the most respected podcasters in the health space out there.

Anyway, here is a link to his podcast.

Doc recommends less meat so I am tweaking a bit. Looks like liver it is once or twice a week for now. I absolutely love liver and onions with bacon. Yogurt and eggs in the morning should round my B12 intake out nicely.
I don't want to make medical medical statements because I am not a health care professional. But if you haven't already I would find out exactly why he wants you to eliminate meat. Especially the older we get we need more protein to stave off Sarcopenia and Osteoporosis. Which are serious concerns. Also, if your doc is telling you you can get enough protein from plant based sources ask him exactly how. Plant proteins do not contain all of the essential amino acids in order to build and repair tissue, muscle, and bone. I had a cardiologist tell me a few years ago that I can get enough protein from peanut butter. I fired him. By the way, I had a CAC scan at the time and my risk for a cardiac event was ZERO. Found another cardiologist who was reasonable and willing to have a conversation with me. There are some plant sources (I think nato...fermented soy is one of them), but most plant based proteins you need a combination of them to make complete proteins and then our body doesn't use them as well.

Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now.

I don't want to make medical medical statements because I am not a health care professional. But if you haven't already I would find out exactly why he wants you to eliminate meat. Especially the older we get we need more protein to stave off Sarcopenia and Osteoporosis. Which are serious concerns. Also, if your doc is telling you you can get enough protein from plant based sources ask him exactly how. Plant proteins do not contain all of the essential amino acids in order to build and repair tissue, muscle, and bone. I had a cardiologist tell me a few years ago that I can get enough protein from peanut butter. I fired him. By the way, I had a CAC scan at the time and my risk for a cardiac event was ZERO. Found another cardiologist who was reasonable and willing to have a conversation with me. There are some plant sources (I think nato...fermented soy is one of them), but most plant based proteins you need a combination of them to make complete proteins and then our body doesn't use them as well.

Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now.
Duly noted. She wants me to cut back my meat portions. So I was concerned about proteins and B12. I have alarmingly high triglycerides and Niacin treatment has cut that number in half. Cholesterol is great. Heart is great. Weight is healthy based on waist size formula(38.5 inches). BMI says I am overweight. My shoulders are extremely broad and my chest measures 48.5 inches. 6 foot 205 pounds. If I can get my triglycerides down I will look pretty good on paper.

Last edited:
My guest is Dr. Andy Galpin, Professor of Kinesiology at California State University, Fullerton, and one of the foremost experts in the world on the science and application of methods to increase strength, hypertrophy and endurance performance.

must be making the rounds, i listened to him on the strength running podcast last month.

Duly noted. She wants me to cut back my meat portions. So I was concerned about proteins and B12. I have alarmingly high triglycerides and Niacin treatment has cut that number in half. Cholesterol is great. Heart is great. Weight is healthy based on waist size formula(38.5 inches). BMI says I am overweight. My shoulders are extremely broad and my chest measures 48.5 inches. 6 foot 205 pounds. If I can get my triglycerides down I will look pretty good on paper.
Ask about Vascepa. It’s a prescription strength fish oil essentially. Actually it’s just the EPA portion of the fish oil. But it’s specifically for triglyceride lowering. Get the discount card from the manufacturer and all you have to pay is $9 a month or 90 days.

Ask about Vascepa. It’s a prescription strength fish oil essentially. Actually it’s just the EPA portion of the fish oil. But it’s specifically for triglyceride lowering. Get the discount card from the manufacturer and all you have to pay is $9 a month or 90 days.
Got it.

This is one of the best articles I have read on Protein Powders. It gives a really understandable account of not only protein powders, but gives a great detailed overview of Proteins and Amino Acids and how they are essential for just living. While there are a few minor things I might have a disagreement on, this was well done and easily understandable. I highly suggest anyone who is looking to get healthier (not just working out) read this article.

Vegans are the religious zealots of eating.
Yes! Yes they are!

According to this article on the Veganbits website (obviously a pro vegan website)...only 2% of the US is vegetarian, and only 1 in 4 of vegetarians are actually vegan (And I probably have my doubts about who is strictly vegan). That means only an estimated 0.5% of the US are vegans. But yet, they are so vocal, that nutrition and federal policy is moved at their command.

Back