The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Dagwoodzs Tonsorium; vlog, shaves and reviews

Great 1st attempt , nice video, looking forward to more

Thanks Dave. I debated waiting and doing a shorter video after working out all the kinks...audio, etc...but I've got no shame, plus it'll be nice to have the progression of videos archived here as well as YT.

It came out well, and anyone who says these are easy to put together is crazy, plus I like you have no shame and it takes a good amount of moxie to throw up a video I think this will be a great resource for folks. Again thanks for all your contributions so far to the Media forum.. It is much appreciated

Good job. Simply shot but it does a good job of demonstrating a complete routine so others can follow along.

Nice video Josh. It takes a lot to make a straight shave video and post it. I don't even like having my photo taken much less letting everyone see the funny faces I make to get a straight blade around my face. I like watching others though to see if there is a new face that might work well for me.
1f601.png

One little thing (and please take this as constructive and not criticism), if it's possible, it looks like you are working with limited space, but maybe if you could mount your camera just a little higher so it isn't looking into the light on the ceiling.
It would help us see you and what you are doing a bit better.

Overall great video though.

Good job. Simply shot but it does a good job of demonstrating a complete routine so others can follow along.

Thanks Chris...that was the idea. Future video's will be shorter and hopefully a little higher quality.

Nice video Josh. It takes a lot to make a straight shave video and post it. I don't even like having my photo taken much less letting everyone see the funny faces I make to get a straight blade around my face. I like watching others though to see if there is a new face that might work well for me.
1f601.png

One little thing (and please take this as constructive and not criticism), if it's possible, it looks like you are working with limited space, but maybe if you could mount your camera just a little higher so it isn't looking into the light on the ceiling.
It would help us see you and what you are doing a bit better.

Overall great video though.

Thanks for the critique, Shawn, I honestly do appreciate it. This is something I want to get better at and it was more of a spur of the moment decision to not only shave, but video tape it. Next time I'll try and fix the lighting issue so that it's not so glaring...it was something I saw when I was set-up, but didnt' have the time to address effectively. I'm also going to be getting a small mirror to mount by the camera so I don't have to turn away to get the right side of my face effectively and safely.

The good idea fairy is running strong at the moment...lol

If you are relying on your overhead light, if there is room, try a couple of pieces of posterboard on your counter angled slightly. They will reflect the light back up to you so you don't shadow your face from the overhead light that is slightly behind you. Or if you have a lower powered desk lamp you could use a few coffee filters over the top of the shade to soften it and add just a bit of fill light.

In all fairness, I've never done videos. I have done some model photography though, so just throwing random ideas out that I may try in that type of situation for improvised lighting. Funnily enough, despite having photos of models published, I can't do a still shot (like a SOTD) or landscapes worth a darn.... Whole different animal with the lighting and framing.

Good shave Josh!

I'm glad you explained the spray bottle; at first I thought it was a can of air and I’m like “WTH, I didn’t pay for artificial lather fluffing!”

One question for you, I noticed that you do the preshave lather and cloth prep like Dave (I think it was?). Is there a reason you prefer that instead of just wetting your face while you build lather?

Excellent video! I have to say that you make stropping look so easy...I sir...cannot strop like that!

One question for you, I noticed that you do the preshave lather and cloth prep like Dave (I think it was?). Is there a reason you prefer that instead of just wetting your face while you build lather?

So, when I started this, I loved the feel of a warm towel on my face, as well as some hot/warm lather through the use of a scuttle. I used various pre-shave products, (Musgo, Shave Secret, various dedicated Pre-shave oils), until I started looking at what actually softens up the whiskers. What it takes is three things: heat, water and an acidic element. Most of this is handled by taking a shower and washing your face. Unfortunately, I can't just hop out of the shower and start shaving, as I have to walk outside and back to the room. So, to continue to the softening of the whiskers, I use a wet, hot towel over a lathered face, meeting all three criteria. The fact that I really do enjoy the hot towel is just a bonus for me.

On a separate note, I noticed that many soaps don't like the hot water of the scuttle, so I changed to primarily cold water to build my lathers. The only "hot" part of my shave is the hot water in my basin that I will rinse blades off with, and heat DE/SE's up prior to doing a pass. Every so often, when it's not so warm out, I'll break out the brush scuttle for a warm lather shave...but the irritation does take a very slight step up when I do that. That's for those shaves when I'm using a milder razor (not a straight or my Timeless OC), and can moderate how much irritation could occcur.

Sorry for the extended response...it kind of got away from me. LOL

Great first video. Nice seeing your routine.

Thanks Don!

So, when I started this, I loved the feel of a warm towel on my face, as well as some hot/warm lather through the use of a scuttle. I used various pre-shave products, (Musgo, Shave Secret, various dedicated Pre-shave oils), until I started looking at what actually softens up the whiskers. What it takes is three things: heat, water and an acidic element. Most of this is handled by taking a shower and washing your face. Unfortunately, I can't just hop out of the shower and start shaving, as I have to walk outside and back to the room. So, to continue to the softening of the whiskers, I use a wet, hot towel over a lathered face, meeting all three criteria. The fact that I really do enjoy the hot towel is just a bonus for me.

On a separate note, I noticed that many soaps don't like the hot water of the scuttle, so I changed to primarily cold water to build my lathers. The only "hot" part of my shave is the hot water in my basin that I will rinse blades off with, and heat DE/SE's up prior to doing a pass. Every so often, when it's not so warm out, I'll break out the brush scuttle for a warm lather shave...but the irritation does take a very slight step up when I do that. That's for those shaves when I'm using a milder razor (not a straight or my Timeless OC), and can moderate how much irritation could occcur.

Sorry for the extended response...it kind of got away from me. LOL

No worries, just curious. I either take a hot shower or wet my face while brushing my teeth before the shave. I’m a face latherer, so I do get that extra benefit of lather hydration anyway.

Perhaps I’ll try this one day though; something else for SWMBO to give me a funny look.

All things considered a nice 1st shaving video Josh!

The only things I could critique would be lighting, video quality, and having your left side of face away from the camera.

Not that I'm any expert.

All things considered a nice 1st shaving video Josh!

The only things I could critique would be lighting, video quality, and having your left side of face away from the camera.

Not that I'm any expert.

Thanks, Craig...I think I addressed most of the issues in my next video!

Happy Memorial Day everyone! Here's my second video, a review of Oleo Soapworks Melonade...enjoy!
https://youtu.be/ocFoaR8QVT4

As always, constructive criticism is always helpful to improve the quality of the videos and their content. I've already got a couple of ideas on this one (looking down to often, not speaking to the camera being the primary one). There isn't too much I can do about the overall video quality, as I can't afford to upload in HD due to bandwidth issues, so they're all going to be uploaded at Standard Definition. Also, this was published to YT and listed, so I'm curious to see what kind of traffic it gets. Thanks everyone!

Much better Josh! Although I definitely can't let my wife see this one or I am going to be buying another soap.... She loves watermelon jolly ranchers!
The not looking at the camera the whole time didn't bother me as much as the side profile from the first one. So that and the lighting made it a much better video alone. It was a good review also. Honest and thorough.

Big improvement and very well done!

Good vid Josh, leaps and bounds over the first.

I don’t know if you choose the pre-play screen shot (the picture on the video as it sits in the thread, before one starts playing it) but the one up there is hilarious!

You’ve already started to create and explore a style for your videos, which I think is great! Keep it up!

Back