The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Cycling - Show us your Rides, Gear, etc.......

I have no idea why I didn't know about this...it's a bike trail that is of moderate difficulty and is only about 10 miles from my house. I checked it out and looks like it is up my alley. I might have to do some improvements to the bike (or just another one altogether), but I am actually a little excited to ride it.

Don that looks like a lot of fun!
Think I might give it a try tomorrow. It is a mountain bike trail so I need to take it easy at first. Bit it's a dual use hiking/biking trail..so how hard can it really be?

Went for a ride this morning before it go too hot. Nothing serious...just a nice ride at a good pace.

1590619644738.png

My ride from yesterday. I do this loop twice for this mileage. I have come to learn that NJ is not all that bike friendly. Or more to the point, there are some motorists who would rather we not be on the road at all. This route allows me to combine wide shoulders for staying out of the way of traffic. The route heading north up through the length of the park has a very small shoulder but there are lots of signs that say "Share The Road". Plus it's just a really nice ride through the woods. The northern most segment on route 508 is a busy four lane road and while the shoulder is not marked, there is plenty of room for a car and a bicyclist. Even so, people fly along that road and I try and stay as close the curb as possible. The only issue is it is the beginning of a one mile climb so I'm going pretty slow which extends the amount of time I'm on it. I guess as I get better at climbing I can shorten the amount of time I'm on that road. The time shown on the map is actual ride time. Total time out is more like 1 hour and 55 minutes. I take two breaks during each loop at key scenic spots. One is at a dam where I often see Blue Herons, Red Wing Blackbirds and the occassional hawk. The other is just a spot at the entrance to the Reservation and across from the golf course so it's kind of peaceful with lots of green. At some point I'm hoping to be able to drop one of them and I guess eventually both.

strava.png

Haven't done any solo riding yet. Everything has been with the kids. Here is our latest.
strava3634437721666668403.jpg
I have gotten to the point that I take a tool kit with me on each ride in case something breaks on one of our bikes. I have no idea how it happened, but my daughter's chain popped off the gears and somehow got on the outside of the derailleur. I couldn't figure out how to do it, so I had to break the chain and reattach it to fix it.

Better to wait 4 months than not to be able to at all.

Only if you don't need to put it back together.
very true Don, but they are just sitting there going 150 MPH wanting to run, LOL. However the alternative of doing more damage is a very real thing, I will just have to live the ride vicariously through you LOL

strava3189908210846685361.jpg
With only 4 hours sleep, these hills killed me yesterday. I want to try it again sometime when I get more sleep the night before. Beautiful place though. This is the bike course that the kids did for their triathlon. I had to ride it to mark out the course with chalk.

strava4171483451162971278.jpg
Short ride with Elijah on the greenway. Still getting used to my bike. Need to add a few more miles in order to hit my goal for the month.

strava6168102828578109806.jpg
Made the mistake of only looking at the distance before I took off on this one. Wasn't mentally prepared for that much climbing.

strava5323707574329619130.jpg
Another ride with Elijah tonight. At this rate, I will hit my goal quickly. He had a bit of a crash tonight at about mile 4.5. Took a hand off the bars to scratch his nose, hit a slippery spot, then the bike ran into a rock wall. He seemed fine, but we just sat there for a few minutes to make sure. We were already on the way back so we just finished it up.

strava3065466298417007076.jpg
After this ride, I officially have less than 10 miles to hit my monthly goal. Felt good. Longest ride I have done in a while. Looking forward to adding more distance. Bought a couple of upgrades for the bike that will be here soon and should make the ride better.

Back