The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Cycling - Show us your Rides, Gear, etc.......

Well I figure 30 minutes of climbing the hills in the neighborhood is better than sitting on the couch.

The wife and I are going after work to the LBS to pick up new bikes. Not sure yet but probably leaning towards the Specialized Sirrus. Just wanting to be more active....fun rides around town or on vacation or at the cabin . Not getting out and active enough lately with the quarantine and it's affecting us physically and mentally.

Ok Chad later this fall i will come up and we can ride up to Park city a nice 50+mile ride and some nice elevation.
6B5980D9-6F76-4E65-9CE9-FB072FE0981D.jpeg

What is your strava handle ? Ill follow you

I'm not worth following. I think I've ridden a total of 6 or so times in 2020. And given how tough my last ride was, I think I'm going to only do the mountain once, head back to the house the way I would on the normal 9 mile loop and then do a normal 9 mile loop. I'll probably be able to do the climb once but not twice at this point of my poor fitness level. But if you feel you must follow me, my name is Mntn Man. 😁

I'm not worth following. I think I've ridden a total of 6 or so times in 2020. And given how tough my last ride was, I think I'm going to only do the mountain once, head back to the house the way I would on the normal 9 mile loop and then do a normal 9 mile loop. I'll probably be able to do the climb once but not twice at this point of my poor fitness level. But if you feel you must follow me, my name is Mntn Man. 😁
Or Temporarily, "Mntn Once Man" I wish I had the area to bike some of you do. Ride on (y)

8th grade was easy when I was in school. What's the problem, Chad?

Sorry I forgot Canadians don't use percentages!

The route Dave is talking about is some of the longest steepest grades in the country for truck drivers etc. Parleys Canyon ain't no joke... every time you enter the canyon you have to ask yourself am I prepared to overheat? Plenty of people do.

IMG_5569.jpg
Picked up some Specialized Sequoias yesterday for the wife and I and today we went out for a leisurely 10 mile ride to her parents and back. Pouring rain for a third of the ride but she weathered it. First ride for me in 2.5 years and her first ride in 15 years. This weekend were heading to Park City, Utah and we'll bring the bikes so we'll see how the elevation treats us.

t out

View attachment 22555
Picked up some Specialized Sequoias yesterday for the wife and I and today we went out for a leisurely 10 mile ride to her parents and back. Pouring rain for a third of the ride but she weathered it. First ride for me in 2.5 years and her first ride in 15 years. This weekend were heading to Park City, Utah and we'll bring the bikes so we'll see how the elevation treats us.

t out

Good Stuff

Pretty much did the same route but did it twice today. Fought a hard headwind on the uphill portion. But overall average speed was higher. I definitely need a new bike seat.... any recommendations?
Good Job Chad, and a 10% increase in mileage every couple of rides is a good thing to build up endurance. IT may sound counterintuitive, but a thinner narrower seat is better, that being said each person is different. Best bet go to a bike shop and have them fit you for one, usually a good shop with have a bunch for you to try. three things that are the most important on the bike

1. Seat
2. Shoes
3. Shorts / Padded

I have included some links on the short. Don't skimp on the seat, or you will get uncomfortable, get saddle sores, and the bike will become a coat rack. Be careful though Bicycling is a AD Canyon. So you will fit right in, LOL

Check out for seats
Prologo
Selle
Selle Anatomica
Fisik
but again go to a shop, get fitted and try a bunch out

Shoes: just a nice Low hiking boot if you are not going to change pedals, If you decide to then a two side pedal ( clipless/nonclipless ) is better for pedal efficiency and power transfer and less overall fatigue

$60.0060.00 shoe.jpg pedals.jpgabout 119.00

Shorts:

MTB Shorts and Padded under Liners

ZOIC: Ether Shorts + Essential Liner

Hope that Helps

When my stock seat from my Motobecane (Taiwan) started to crack and split I did some research and ended up getting a Specialized Phenom Expert. My butt took to it well and when I'm riding regularly, it isn't even noticable. I guess that's what you want from a seat. I'm thinking of putting one on my mountain bike so my butt doesn't have to go through the pain of getting used to a different seat. Outdoorgearlab liked it as well.

image.png

Had a great ride today. We had planned to go 6 miles one way so 12 miles round trip. At 3 miles in we smelled rain and it was moving fast, so ride got cut in half. But it was a blast. Did get wet about the last 3/4 of mile though. But kids where dry with the rain fly on the buggy

IMG_20200502_120939517_HDR.jpgIMG_20200502_120929499.jpgIMG_20200502_122605271.jpgIMG_20200502_122612830.jpgIMG_20200502_125407011.jpg

And this is how heavy the rain was

IMG_20200502_130837271.jpg

Back