The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there. My wife and daughter actually surprised me with some thoughtful gifts! Now that we're back from doing stuff, and both the gals are out running an errand, I decided to test lather some of the new soaps that have made it to me of late. Here is a brief initial impression on the scents only:

I received 5 Wild West Shaving Company soaps right before I left for work. I've rank ordered them from strongest SOS to least, with a description of the scent from the label:

Rose Dunn: "Wild Rose, Coconut, Amber". This is a solid 4/5 on the SOS scale, at least IMO. Some with a keener sense of smell than me might even say 5/5. This one is interesting and not quite what I was expecting, and I don't mean that in a negative way. It's not a rose bud type of smell, but more of an oriental incense type of thing; it's kind of spicey, in a way. I like it, but I might like it better in the cooler weather; TBD.

Private Reserve No.2: "Rose, Black Currant, Lime, Sandalwood, Cedarwood". OMG, I totally dig this one!!! This is right in my wheel house! Wonderful rose forward scent, and the black currant makes for an awesome addition. The lime keeps things "bright" without being citrusy; and I can't really discern the other two from an individual scent perspective - I suppose they round things out for balance perhaps. Needless to say, this could easily be one of my favorite shaving soaps scents. Love it! And on the SOS scale, I give it a 4/5. Yes!!!

The Virginian: "Black Currant, Vanilla Bean, Amber, Vetiver, Nutmeg". Oh yeh, another winner; I dig it! A solid 3/5 on the SOS scale, and it's an excellent combo of the currant, amber, and vetiver - love it.

Wichita: "Bay Rum, Vetiver, Wood Smoke, Coffee, Rose". Interesting combo of bay rum and vetiver - I like it. I actually wish this was stronger, as I give it only a 2/5 on the SOS scale. I do not really detect the smoke or coffee, but that's OK. This is a masculine scent, and I appreciate the uniqueness of it. Like I said, I wish it were stronger.

Sundance Kid: Lavender, Lime, Coconut, Peppermint". Oh my, do I ever wish that this were stronger on the SOS scale! It's a dynamite combo of the lavender and peppermint - very calming type of scent. But it's only a 1/5 on the SOS scale as it fades quickly when lathered. That's a shame, because it's a beautiful scent.

BTW, here's a pic of my daughter and I after Divine Liturgy that my wife took. She decided to "dab" at the last minute and it cracked me up - I was surprised that my wife captured it:

Oh, I forgot to mention my Father's Day shave. I actually got that in late, late last night to save time this morning. I went with another sample from Maggards, their "Lilac" soap. Well.....this is not for me. It's obvious to me that I'm just not a fan of the lilac scent. It's not that this one is putrid like The Veg (LOL), but it's just not for me. It reminds me of a baby nursery with lots of powder. Finished off with an aftershave sample of Gabel's Lilac - again, not for me. Ugh!

Great first impressions; sounds like you have a couple winners again!

Fun picture.

Well Chris that picture captures one proud man you can just tell! It seems your Father's day was very nice!

Great initial impressions on the soaps, Chris. But, more importantly, that is a phenomenal candid photo of you and your daughter! Love it!

Thanks for the rundown on the soaps Chris. And what a beautiful photo!

Nice review of the soaps scents and Great Picture!

Great first impressions; sounds like you have a couple winners again!

Fun picture.
Well Chris that picture captures one proud man you can just tell! It seems your Father's day was very nice!

Great initial impressions on the soaps, Chris. But, more importantly, that is a phenomenal candid photo of you and your daughter! Love it!

Thanks, Gents!

SR Shave #604:

I called an audible this morning. I was going to go with a certain set-up, but changed it when I got up today. I decided to go with this instead:

I opted to try the other Noble Otter sample that I recently received, the "Barrbarr". This is actually a nice scent, very masculine, and one that I enjoyed. However, I think it might be even better during cooler weather, but perhaps it doesn't matter either way. The scent reminds me of goodies being baked in the kitchen. My daughter even said that it smelled like Christmas. And it paired extremely well with the Fine American Barber aftershave and EdT.

Performance-wise, the Rudy Vey w/Game Changer synthetic whipped up an excellent lather, but it can't quite climb into "elite" status for me. It's slick enough, had much better residual slickness than the previous sample, but isn't the slickest I've used. I will agree with Don in that the post shave is quite good - very good, actually.

The Revisor provided a fantastic 2-pass, DFS(+) this morning. I've got this edge dialed-in just right for me. It's only the 6th shave since I did a complete synth re-hone up thru 20K and showed no signs of falling off yet.

A very nice start to the day. And I've been working on catching up with everyone.

Nice reads Chris, and for those guys going after linen soaps you must get Penhaligon's Savoy Steam it is a perfect match

I love that photo of you and your daughter. A real laugh is better than any on-demand smile.

I enjoy the scent of lilac but i have very little opportunity to smell it. I planted lilac just outside my bathroom window but it blooms for such a short time and isn't all that fragrant. I am not a big fan of jasmine, if it is a scent on the breeze it can be ok but anything more is nasty.

Nice couple of reads. You’re looking pretty dapper there in your bow tie.

Very interesting on the Barrbarr scent. I wouldn't expect that at all from the description. Wish it was a little better for you, because I am really enjoying mine. But each soap has its idiosyncrasies especially with each individual. Great pic!

Nice one Chris...a heck of an audible, and seems like it worked out for you!
Thanks, Josh. Nice to mix things up a bit I suppose.

Nice reads Chris, and for those guys going after linen soaps you must get Penhaligon's Savoy Steam it is a perfect match
Thanks, Dave. And interesting about the Pen's.

I love that photo of you and your daughter. A real laugh is better than any on-demand smile.

I enjoy the scent of lilac but i have very little opportunity to smell it. I planted lilac just outside my bathroom window but it blooms for such a short time and isn't all that fragrant. I am not a big fan of jasmine, if it is a scent on the breeze it can be ok but anything more is nasty.
Thanks, CBL.....now, about jasmine....nasty? That description is only relevant to the Veg!
1f61c.png

Nice couple of reads. You’re looking pretty dapper there in your bow tie.
Thanks, Dave.

Very interesting on the Barrbarr scent. I wouldn't expect that at all from the description. Wish it was a little better for you, because I am really enjoying mine. But each soap has its idiosyncrasies especially with each individual. Great pic!
Well, the jury is still out. When they get more of their samples in stock, I'd like to try some more.

Great shave and picture Chris!
Thanks, Craig.

Back