The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

SR shave #678:

Well, it's been a while since I made a journal entry. Not much new to report really (maybe a couple of things): still working, still surviving along with the family, still enjoying my shaves and fragrances, still taking guitar lessons and I added a bass too - focusing primarily on the bass right now. As a matter of fact, I think that I'm going to be a much better bass player than guitar player. And my daughter confirmed it, as she happened to be walking by while I was practicing bass one day recently; she stopped, and said: "Dad, don't take this the wrong way, but you play the bass better than you do the guitar." Yeh, I think she's right - LOL!

Let's see, what else is going on?......I'm no longer training in karate, that's one thing that's changed. I worked at it diligently for 3 years, and loved every minute, but I've just got too much on my plate right now, and the age factor is rearing its ugly head. I had broken my right index finger about a year ago while sparring, and it just has never healed very well - or else I'm just getting arthritis!......Let's see, what else?.....I've been dealing with contractors and insurance regarding my great aunt's house that had a tree fall on it back in June....I'm in the process of cleaning out my mother's house and have it on the market due to her now being in a personal care home.....And my wife and I will be putting our house on the market in about 2 weeks, as it's time to upgrade to a little bigger place in the suburbs to the north which have much better public schools, and we'll get more house for the money.

I think that about sums it up on the home front.

Today's shave was:

KT9LVew.jpg

Brian Brown//Rudy Vey Shavemac Finest//MdC Vetyver//Guerlain Vetiver after shave//vintage Guerlain Vetiver EdC

This vintage Guerlain Vetiver, in Eau de Cologne concentration, is my absolute favorite vetiver fragrance - totally dig it!

That's all, gents. Hope everyone is well!

Life goes on! Great report Chris, glad everyone is safe and all is as well as can be expected. Best of luck with the move and house hunt!

This vintage Guerlain Vetiver, in Eau de Cologne concentration, is my absolute favorite vetiver fragrance - totally dig it!
Any change in scent over the EDT? Or just stronger?

....Any change in scent over the EDT? Or just stronger?
Thanks, Chris. And yes, there are a couple of differences between the vintage EdC and the bottle of EdT that I also have (which is the silver capped bottle, that I believe is the one that is just prior to the current green cap). First, the EdC is a brighter, more zingy, and more refreshing fragrance than the EdT due to more citrus in the opening - primarily lemon (to my nose); and secondly, the EdC lacks any nuance of a tobacco note that is present in the dry down of the EdT, which makes the EdC wonderful in this summer heat. In terms of projection and longevity, the EdC is about the same as my bottle of EdT, maybe just a smidge less, but close. Definitely stronger than the current green capped EdT which I sampled last year.

Awesome to see you Chris! You definitely have a lot on your plate...but it's good to stay busy. Glad to see you still working...I know you were concerned about that a while back! Keep doing what you are doing!

Great entry Chris! You certainly have a lot going on.

Awesome to see you Chris! You definitely have a lot on your plate...but it's good to stay busy. Glad to see you still working...I know you were concerned about that a while back! Keep doing what you are doing!

Good to see you stop in. Glad all is going well.

Wow, you are one busy man! Enjoy your shaves.
Thanks, Gents! Been a while.

Tuesday's shave - week of Christmas

Thought I'd pop in and wish everyone Happy Holidays. I'm still kickin'.

What's been going on with me of late? Still working the same job (thankfully).....Sold our house last month while the gettin' was good - did very well for ourselves - staying in an apartment, meanwhile (with most of our stuff in storage), till our 5th grader finishes up, then will be buying up in the 'burbs....Sold my mom's house.....and my great aunt's house repairs were finally completed (after 5 months!) so no more dealing with contractor and insurance folk. Ah yes, finally some relief!.....Still taking bass lessons and still diggin' it; making very good progress. I'm definitely a bass player, no doubt - I've got the groove for it - much better than guitar, for sure.

Today's shave was excellent. Went with a Stirling sample that I thought I hadn't tried before, but when I went to add it to my "soaps used" list, I saw that I had already tried it before - oh well, guess it was a while ago. At any rate, it's very refreshing - tub worthy for sure, as it provided for an effortless shave with the Merkur 34c.

FInished up with this:

kG0X7yT.jpg

Paired well with the Stirling soap. I dig Stirling soaps - have I mentioned that before? :cool:

Happy Holidays Chris! Looks like you’ve been pretty busy lately, but glad to see things are finally calming down a bit. Glad to see you’re keeping up with those bass lessons too! When are we jamming?!?

It has...but we still enjoy your company! Merry Christmas if we don't here from you again until after!
Merry Christmas to you and yours, Don. Maybe I'll get back to Baton Rouge again one day. One thing, though - can you make sure the city doesn't lose power again? Maybe you know some people. :cool:

Happy Holidays Chris! Looks like you’ve been pretty busy lately, but glad to see things are finally calming down a bit. Glad to see you’re keeping up with those bass lessons too! When are we jamming?!?
Thanks - you too! And I just bought a second bass, so I'm willing if you are. BTW, I put some new strings on my first bass - thought I'd experiment with flats - I dig 'em - I might even prefer them!

Back