The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Great shave and pic!

I am going to have to try some IP as well. I think I will forego the sample and just get the full puck and splash.

Yepper - go ahead and get the full puck!

Chris,

Just catching up with the new forum. Really glad to hear you liked the Heljestrand edge.

Three honing things you might want to try:
1. Back and forth strokes. Gets double the laps in on the higher grits, which generally helps and clears any wire edge.
2. Stropping in between each stone on linen and or leather

3. After using the Ark, a couple spine leadings strokes on your 20k might sort things out.

Derek

Thanks, Derek. And great to see you here!

How mentholated is the iced pineapple? I don't mind a bit of a cooling effect, but I dislike soaps that are strongly cooling.

My favorite puck of soap is Stirling Peach. I'm sure I'd love the pineapple, too, as long as it isn't too cold.

I don't think the menthol is very much. I'd say it's about like Proraso. And I've got the Stirling Peach also - it's a good one too.

Catching up Chris, great photos, and will have the stone and Razor this week

Thanks, Dave. And no rush.

sounds like good advice to me. I do the back and forth bit myself but will
caution that it requires a consistent motion so you don’t inadvertently do damage....

Roger that, CBL.

Good on you for manning up to the challenge of honing your own stuff! I’m not there yet...

You'll get there.

I am sure Chris will chime in also but in my opinion it is just a tad bit more mentholated than Proraso Green.
It just so happens I'm headed back to the den. IP sounds like a great call!

I think it's about the same level as Proraso.

Great shave and picture Chris!

Thanks, Craig.

Catching up, great shaves Chris

Thanks, Don.

Monday's Shave:

Okie Dokie, back in town. I'll get caught up with everyone soon. In the meantime, the two soaps that I used on the road were Mystic Water samples: "Adirondack Jack", and "Sweet Briar". Both, in terms of scent alone, were OK; neither "wowed" me, but I liked the Sweet Briar better.

So today, I decided to stick with a Mystic Water soap, because a certain plant of ours is in full bloom; ergo......

Ah yes, one of the greatest retail floral soaps ever - Mystic Water Jasmine! Yes, yes, and yes! I totally dig this one; always have, always will. Marverlous! Simply marvelous!!

I opted for a change of pace, in terms of razor, and went with the Merkur slant (w/Persona Red). The new brush from Eric with the Tuxedo fan knot whipped up an excellent lather from the MW, and just two passes later, I was rewarded with an irritation-free, rock-solid DFS. Perfect for today.

Finished up with some 444, then Kiehl's aftershave balm, then Creed Imperial EdP. An excellent start to the day!

Aside from the occasional struggles with edges/honing, I very rarely find anything to fault with your shaves or set-ups Chris...this morning was no exception!! Phenomenal stuff!

I love just about any scent related to Jasmine or gardenia. But the MW Jasmine is top notch.

Catching up Chris, and great stuff, BTW you are right about the Mike's Barbershop, I did not get a chance to journal it, however it vaulted itself to the top spot. Very much like WSP's, but not as sweet and the performance near the level of SV and Nuavia. Many thanks

Great pic and very nice shave.

Thanks, Doug.

Great shave and picture Chris!

Thanks, Craig. And good song reference. However, every time I hear that song now, I think of the movie, "Dazed and Confused".

Aside from the occasional struggles with edges/honing, I very rarely find anything to fault with your shaves or set-ups Chris...this morning was no exception!! Phenomenal stuff!

Thanks, Josh.

Sweet Briar and Jasmine. Two fantastic scents!

Thanks, Chad. And roger that.

I love just about any scent related to Jasmine or gardenia. But the MW Jasmine is top notch.

Hey Don! And thanks. I'm still trying to find the "perfect" gardenia scented soap. I've tried a few, but either the scent was nice, but the performance lack-luster, or the scent was not good, but the performance decent. Oh well.....

Great couple of shaves Chris. The MW Jasmine sounds wonderful.

Thanks, Walt. And yes, the MW Jasmine is fantastic!

Catching up Chris, and great stuff, BTW you are right about the Mike's Barbershop, I did not get a chance to journal it, however it vaulted itself to the top spot. Very much like WSP's, but not as sweet and the performance near the level of SV and Nuavia. Many thanks

Glad that the Mike's made it safe and sound. It was the least I could do. I definitely appreciate the hard work you put in on that Ark!

SR Shave #585:

OK, back to a traditional straight. I went with one of my absolute favorite straight razors, the Bengall half hollow. My goodness, how I dig Sheffield steel. This razor is flat-out-dynamite! I had honed this from the ground up with my complete synthetic set-up thru 20K and it's still holding a fantastic edge after 14 shaves now - perhaps a record for me. Love this blade! I did just one pass, with some cleanup, for a very enjoyable CCS(+)/DFS(-). I was going to continue with another pass, but this was so smooth that I decided to finish with what I had - good enough for today. Actually, perfect for today.

Another perfect aspect of today's shave was the soap. I went with Mike's "Lime", and it was outstanding. Yep, absolutely wonderful in all areas - uber slick, and stellar scent. The CH2 really whipped up an excellent lather today. BTW, I totally dig this version of lime scented soap - love it!

And finished up with some vintage Avon "Island Lime" aftershave. For me, this is my favorite lime scented aftershave. Granted, the scent doesn't last long, but while it's there, it's awesome! And I had to go with Creed Imperial EdP for a second day in a row. My wife loves it on me, but personally, I think I've outgrown this one.

Back