The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

The best razor I have ever used was a vintage one. Granted, the only razors I have used are vintage. But I do agree that all that really matters is the quality of the steel and the quality of the craftsman.

Roger that, Don.

I’m inclined to think much of the hoopla about modern razors not being as good stems from the larger production brands being sold as shave ready with a less than stellar bevel....

Good point. Sounds like a reasonable explanation.

All caught up, Chris. Excellent shaves, and some great pics!

Thanks, Jim.

Wednesday's Shave:

Time is not on my side today, so the Flare Tip Super Speed got the call up. I also decided, in the interest of time, to use another one of my previous photos and set ups:

I totally dig this combo! The Proraso, in terms of performance, is not elite status by any stretch, but it's adequate. The scent, however, is why I keep this soap around. This is an "earthy" sandalwood scent, not a "sweet" one like AoS or Fine. And the Captain's Choice Sandalwood aftershave is more in line with this Proraso. I do wish that the SOS on the a/s was higher, but that's OK, because following everything up with Pen's Hammam Bouquet is DYNAMITE! Love this set up!

The Flare Tip Super Speed was very nice, although the blade I used is really lack luster. Something called a "Crystal" platinum. They're pretty substandard for me, so binned they go.

What exceeded standards, fortunately, was the brush. Oh yeh, this is the monster Rudy Vey Shavemac 3-band silvertip @ 32/64. Pure luxury of "epic" proportions! I have to break this one out every now and then just as an indulgence.

Any shave that ends with Penhaligon's is a winner.

It sucks that you had to rush this morning, but it sounds like a very nice shave in spite of that.

I also love the Proraso red. It has a wonderful scent.

Too bad about the Crystal blades.

Ol' Reliable razor, great brush, Penhaligon's...who cares about that other stuff?! Awesome write up!

Just got caught up. Nice reads, and great photos.

With regards to Saint Charles Shave "Fairway," I've posted this on other sites, so this may be old hat to some of you, but it turns out that the scent of SCS Fairway is that of carrot tops (the plant, not the comedian). The green part of the carrot that sticks up out of the ground. That's what you are smelling.

I agree that it smells great, by the way. But I think it's a good thing they named the soap "Fairway" rather than "Carrot Tops."

Next time you find yourself in a grocery store, if they have the carrots that still have the tops attached, go over there, scratch into the leaves a bit and give it a sniff. It's "Fairway" right there in the produce section!

Wow! I tell you what. If you keep taking pictures like that we may have to have a pic-off between you and Dave! Doing Great!

Very nice shave Chris, and fantastic set up. I still haven't tried Proraso Red, and might have to remedy that.

Sorry you had to settle today, better luck tomorrow!

Well at least the Cologne and Brush were up to par!

1f60e.png

Any shave that ends with Penhaligon's is a winner.

Gotta agree with you on that.

It sucks that you had to rush this morning, but it sounds like a very nice shave in spite of that.

I also love the Proraso red. It has a wonderful scent.

Too bad about the Crystal blades.

Thanks, Doug.

Ol' Reliable razor, great brush, Penhaligon's...who cares about that other stuff?! Awesome write up!

Thanks, Josh.

Just got caught up. Nice reads, and great photos.

With regards to Saint Charles Shave "Fairway," I've posted this on other sites, so this may be old hat to some of you, but it turns out that the scent of SCS Fairway is that of carrot tops (the plant, not the comedian)....

I remember you talking about that. I'm still going to try to conjur up a golf course in my mind's eye rather than the produce section.
1f60e.png

Wow! I tell you what. If you keep taking pictures like that we may have to have a pic-off between you and Dave! Doing Great!

Thanks, Rich; much appreciated.

Very nice shave Chris, and fantastic set up. I still haven't tried Proraso Red, and might have to remedy that.

Thanks, Eric.

SR Shave #584:

Today's soap is dedicated to Eric & Josh....

I don't leave for work till after lunch today, so had plenty of time to enjoy a traditional straight razor shave, and use the single greatest retail puck of soap ever made:

STIRLING "ICED PINEAPPLE"!!!!!!!!!!!

My goodness, how....I....dig....this....soap! Love it!!! And that's all I'm going to say about it.
1f60e.png

The razor of choice was the Kropp full hollow. This one....

This is definitely one of my favorite razors. This is also one of my few honing successes. I had used my synthetic set-up thru 12K, then finished on the Surgical Black Ark that Eric loaned me a while back. I am happy to report that the edge is still going gangbusters. I did 3 passes for a completely irritation-free, BBS(-). Actually, this is pretty darned near full on BBS. I have no complaints! BTW, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if you ever see a Kropp razor available, you need to scarf it up! The Sheffield steel is amazing.

The "Eric Special" with Cashmere synthetic whipped up a spectacular lather. And I finished up with Stirling "Iced Pineapple" aftershave balm. This is the first time that I've actually tried the IP aftershave. The scent is nice, but slightly different than the soap. Actually, I can tell you exactly what the balm smells like (at least what it reminds me of).....at Disney World (and I'm assuming Disneyland as well), you know that pineapple smoothy they sell over in Adventure Land? I believe it's called a "Dole Whip" - that's what the scent of the balm reminds me of. And the scent doesn't linger long, which is fine, because I went with the perfect frag for IP, and that's Creed Aventus. Oh, what a good start to the day!

Now, Eric and Josh - get some Iced Pineapple!
1f61c.png

Great shave and pic!

I am going to have to try some IP as well. I think I will forego the sample and just get the full puck and splash.

Chris,

Just catching up with the new forum. Really glad to hear you liked the Heljestrand edge.

Three honing things you might want to try:
1. Back and forth strokes. Gets double the laps in on the higher grits, which generally helps and clears any wire edge.
2. Stropping in between each stone on linen and or leather

3. After using the Ark, a couple spine leadings strokes on your 20k might sort things out.

Derek

How mentholated is the iced pineapple? I don't mind a bit of a cooling effect, but I dislike soaps that are strongly cooling.

My favorite puck of soap is Stirling Peach. I'm sure I'd love the pineapple, too, as long as it isn't too cold.

Catching up Chris, great photos, and will have the stone and Razor this week

Chris,

Just catching up with the new forum. Really glad to hear you liked the Heljestrand edge.

Three honing things you might want to try:
1. Back and forth strokes. Gets double the laps in on the higher grits, which generally helps and clears any wire edge.
2. Stropping in between each stone on linen and or leather

3. After using the Ark, a couple spine leadings strokes on your 20k might sort things out.

Derek
sounds like good advice to me. I do the back and forth bit myself but will
caution that it requires a consistent motion so you don’t inadvertently do damage. But stripping is always a good thing in my book

Good on you for manning up to the challenge of honing your own stuff! I’m not there yet...

How mentholated is the iced pineapple? I don't mind a bit of a cooling effect, but I dislike soaps that are strongly cooling.

My favorite puck of soap is Stirling Peach. I'm sure I'd love the pineapple, too, as long as it isn't too cold.

I am sure Chris will chime in also but in my opinion it is just a tad bit more mentholated than Proraso Green.

Back