The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Charlie's Shaves & Shenanigans (not necessarily in that order)

That looks and sounds like it was a fantastic trips - except for the COVID at the end - thank goodness that was mild and your wife was unscathed! I’m looking forward to the pictures! Since you hit both the east and west coasts - was there an area that you preferred?

Thanks, Brian. I appreciate the kind words. My Dad is one of the reasons I shave with Gillette gear. I remember him using an adjustable and a Trac II. I expect he learned how to shave as a young guy with a Gillette NEW since they were inexpensive and readily available in those days.

My Dad used whatever hand soap was near the sink for his lather, and one pass was always good enough.
Course that's what I do with my can shaves-one pass.

Howdy gentlemen!

Great things to report here.

First, we just returned from our second annual checkup at the Mayo Clinic. My Bride continues in deep remission following a stem cell transplant two years ago. She has come a very long way and is doing great.

Second, I restarted my volunteer work in the intensive care unit at our local children's hospital. I had to stop volunteering for awhile due to my Bride's condition and then because of COVID. I'm back now and loving my time with the sweet and courageous kids. If all goes as planned, my Bride will start volunteering with me again later this summer.

Still shaving? Well, yeah....with a simple Trac II and the all the other sides and fixins. Once I finish off the last cartridge in my travel kit, I'll switch back to a DE. I get remarkably good shaves with the Trac II, though, so I'm not really missing out on anything.

I've been poking around the watch forums as well...comparing different watches, window shopping, and just having fun. I may eventually pull the trigger on something new. Not sure yet.

I hope you fellas are doing well and enjoying summer! It has been a rather hot one here in my neck 'o the woods.

Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate the kind words.

@Spider, the Trac II stays in my carry-on travel kit. I often use it at home too. It is a great shaver. I usually take a "plastic" Gillette Trac II on trips as my larger brass handle once caught the eye of a TSA agent. My bag was scanned multiple times and finally opened for inspection....first and only time that ever happened.

Great news! Good to see she's doing well! Its been a long time since I used a Trac II, but I remember them being pretty great!

Great news! Good to see she's doing well! Its been a long time since I used a Trac II, but I remember them being pretty great!
Thanks Matt. My Dad eventually switched from a DE to a Trac II when I was a young teenager. I remember using his Trac II when I first started shaving. For that reason alone, I'll always have one in my den.

My Dad shaved daily using a Trac II and lather made from a bar of hand soap. There's nothing like a shave using Irish Spring or Dial Gold lather!!! So that's how I initially learned to shave, and the shaves were not pleasant...or close...or comfortable...or bloodless. I ended up using electric razors for 30+ years before switching back to traditional methods about 10 years ago. Better technique combined with a proper soap, brush, and all the pre- and post-shave goodies make all the difference. The Trac II is now a winner in my book. :)

Charlie, great history here! I have a reverse story for you! My father learned on a Gillette Fatboy and Barbasol in the 1970's from my grandfather and then switched over to disposables later on. He then taught me to shave with yellow bic's and Barbasol red back in the late 1990's. Then, my brother and I bought him a Gillette Mach 3 sometime in the early 2000's which he used until I converted him back to DE shaving 3-4 years ago and he's hooked. There you have it, the shaving life history of my family, pretty cyclical isn't it?

Side note, I shaved with Irish spring in the shower, when I was a poor college student. They were not great shaves, but the shave was serviceable enough for my dates. I tried using an electric razor at one point, but all it did was give me razor burn and I could barely stand it pulling my hairs.
Thanks Matt. My Dad eventually switched from a DE to a Trac II when I was a young teenager. I remember using his Trac II when I first started shaving. For that reason alone, I'll always have one in my den.

My Dad shaved daily using a Trac II and lather made from a bar of hand soap. There's nothing like a shave using Irish Spring or Dial Gold lather!!! So that's how I initially learned to shave, and the shaves were not pleasant...or close...or comfortable...or bloodless. I ended up using electric razors for 30+ years before switching back to traditional methods about 10 years ago. Better technique combined with a proper soap, brush, and all the pre- and post-shave goodies make all the difference. The Trac II is now a winner in my book. :)

Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate the kind words.

@Spider, the Trac II stays in my carry-on travel kit. I often use it at home too. It is a great shaver. I usually take a "plastic" Gillette Trac II on trips as my larger brass handle once caught the eye of a TSA agent. My bag was scanned multiple times and finally opened for inspection....first and only time that ever happened.
The TSA fellas figured the scanning wasn't working,, eh? That's on THEM.

My Bride continues in deep remission following a stem cell transplant two years ago.
:)

I restarted my volunteer work in the intensive care unit at our local children's hospital.

If all goes as planned, my Bride will start volunteering with me again later this summer.

Still shaving? Well, yeah....with a simple Trac II
:(

I've been poking around the watch forums as well

Charlie, great history here! I have a reverse story for you! My father learned on a Gillette Fatboy and Barbasol in the 1970's from my grandfather and then switched over to disposables later on. He then taught me to shave with yellow bic's and Barbasol red back in the late 1990's. Then, my brother and I bought him a Gillette Mach 3 sometime in the early 2000's which he used until I converted him back to DE shaving 3-4 years ago and he's hooked. There you have it, the shaving life history of my family, pretty cyclical isn't it?

Side note, I shaved with Irish spring in the shower, when I was a poor college student. They were not great shaves, but the shave was serviceable enough for my dates. I tried using an electric razor at one point, but all it did was give me razor burn and I could barely stand it pulling my hairs.
That is a cool family story, Matt. As a small child, I vaguely remember my Dad using a Gillette adjustable and dropping his used blades in the medicine cabinet slot. I wish I had started DE shaving earlier. I would have enjoyed reintroducing him to it, and I wouldn't have wasted so many years enduring bad shaves and irritated skin. I may have had trouble getting him to use shaving soap instead of Irish Spring, though. :LOL:

My favorite DE razors are the Gillette NEW models from the 1930s. Based on my Dad's age, I expect this was the DE razor that he initially started using. I think of him every time I used my LC or SC.

As a side note, now I'm sad that my Bride got rid of all my dress shirts with the big collars. I'm sure they'll eventually come back in style. :cry:

As a side note, now I'm sad that my Bride got rid of all my dress shirts with the big collars. I'm sure they'll eventually come back in style. :cry:
:LOL:

Matt. As a small child, I vaguely remember my Dad using a Gillette adjustable and dropping his used blades in the medicine cabinet slot. I wish I had started DE shaving earlier.
My Grandparents had one of those and I had one in my first rental house right out of college(it was a 1920's) house. I'd use one if I had one!

My favorite DE razors are the Gillette NEW models from the 1930s.
Me too! I had a guy replate an antique store Gillette New for me about 10 years ago and it was my daily driver for about 5 years. I also like to play around with my Gillette Big Boy Deluxe!

I wouldn't have wasted so many years enduring bad shaves and irritated skin.
Amen to that, me too! My son will never know another way :D

July 3 (report is a day late and at least a dollar short)

G3 Gillette Slim
GSB (1)
B-400 by Tom handle w/Envy White Supreme two-band knot
Stirling Executive Man
Witch hazel, USB, Fine Platinum AS & Aramis

After using my Trac II for the past few weeks, I switched over to a birth quarter Gillette Slim. I'm currently working through a tub of Stirling Executive Man and probably have a month or so of shaves left on it.

Lately, I've been shaving every other day using 1 to 2 passes. If I do a good job stretching my skin, I land somewhere in DFS territory. I park all of my adjustables on setting 9, and the Slim at this setting delivered a great shave.

I'm also using up the last few Gillette Silver Blue blades. I have <10 left. A good overall blade, but I don't feel compelled to restock.

I plan to stick with the same set up this month.

Grace, Peace, and Happy Independence Day!

Last edited:
Back