The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Charlie's Shaves & Shenanigans (not necessarily in that order)

wristwatchb

Shave Member
Hello everyone.

My name is Charlie, and I'm glad to be here. I'm happily married to Kathy, I hail from Kentucky and enjoy traveling, I'm retired and like to volunteer my time, and my shave journey begins here. Contrary to popular belief, I'm more of a city boy than a hillbilly.
My favorite foods are ice cream and ice cream, and I'm a huge Calvin and Hobbes fan. I like watches, especially ones that tick or need to be wound up. Pocket knives and fountain pens are OK too. I don't like to brag, but I know how to send and receive Morse Code. :)

Life can be serious at times, but I look for the humor in as many situations as I can. I consider all things related to traditional wet shaving to fall in the fun/humorous category.

For starters, here are the items currently in my den. I've given away, used up, and whittled down to things I enjoy using or having around. I have a few birth year/quarter razors representing me, family members, and friends. I will occasionally pick up something new or different, but my various acquisition disorders are currently under control.

Blades are another story. I stopped counting tucks and now measure my inventory to the nearest cubic foot. Let's just say supply chain issues don't keep me up at night, and I can use a new blade every three days without impacting supply for my heirs/descendants.

Razors
Feather Professional Artist Club SS
Gillette 7 O'Clock PII Trac II
Gillette Aristocrat
Gillette Fat Boy (G2 & G3)
Gillette NEW LC in Gun-Kote Bronze by Delta Echo Razor Works
Gillette NEW SC (2)
Gillette Old Type Single Ring (1911)
Gillette Slim (G3 & G4)
Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip (Z3, A3 Red Tip & K1)
Gillette Tech (L4 Travel)
Mongoose (batch 2) in satin SS w/Dr. Bomber handle
Mongoose (batch 2) in satin SS w/Big Bomber handle
Muhle R41 head (2013)
Parker SRX
Schick Injector Type E
Super Safety Razors Heavyweight Chrome Trac II
Weber polished SS head w/Bulldog handle
YAQI SE Katana head

Brushes
TSD 30 Day Crew (MrEE) LE Blue Aluminum handle w/Omega 40033 boar knot
TSD 30 Day Crew (jtspartan) LE Figured Maple handle w/APShaveCo Tuxedo bulb knot
TSD 30 Day Crew (jtspartan) LE Poculi handle w/28 mm APShaveCo SynBad flat top knot
B-400 by Tom handle w/Envy White Supreme two-band knot
MrEE Bead Blasted Red Anodized Aluminum Danger handle w/30 mm Maggard's SHD two-band fan knot
JR # 160 Louisville Slugger handle w/Omega 10098 boar knot
JR # 394 Bolivian Rosewood handle w/Cross medallion in base, inlaid Celtic Cross, and 26 mm Maggard's SHD two-band fan knot
Kent BK4 Silvertip
Kent BK8 Silvertip
Rudy Vey Chubby handle w/24 mm Shavemac Silvertip two-band bulb knot
Simpson Chubby 2 Super

Blades
Astra Superior Platinum DE
Feather Hi-Stainless Platinum Coated DE
Feather Professional SE
Feather Super Professional SE
Gillette Silver Blue Stainless DE
Personna Twin II Plus Cartridges
Polsilver Super Iridium Extra Stainless DE
Sharp Star Platinum Coated DE
Voskhod Teflon Coated DE

Soaps
Martin de Candre Original
Martin de Candre Unscented
Stirling Arkadia
Stirling Executive Man
Tabac Original

Witch Hazel

Alt-Innsbruck aftershave
Fine L’Orange Noir aftershave
Fine Platinum aftershave

Unrefined Shea Butter

Aramis EdT
Aramis Tobacco Reserve Eau de Parfum
Taconic Excalibur solid cologne
Terre d’Hermès Parfum

Other
Becker no. 1 large scuttle in Cactus Sand
Becker no. 11 brush scuttle in Cactus Sand
Dark Blue Brush scuttle by Ester in Whaletown, BC, Canada

I typically use the same razor and brush for a weeks at a time (boring for many, OK for me, helps with my technique), but I'm currently on a four-soap daily rotation.
I'll occasionally post details of my daily shaves in the posts to follow, and I would welcome your feedback and comments in order to help me improve my technique or results.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Very nice intro post. I'm not much of a journalist myself, but I enjoy perusing others.

Blades are another story. I stopped counting tucks and now measure my inventory to the nearest cubic foot. Let's just say supply chain issues don't keep me up at night, and I can use a new blade every three days without impacting supply for my heirs/descendants
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Many here can relate.

It's ok if your shaves are boring or repetitive..... I'd rather read the journals to learn more about you as a person, than read about your shaving habits anyway.
Thanks very much. I really appreciate your feedback. I'll be sure to journal a bit more than my shaves. I feel the same way about getting to know everyone here.

Last edited:
Great opening journal post, Charlie! Hope all is well with Kathy!
Thanks Jeff. Kathy is doing well overall, but she recently developed a stress fracture in her right foot. Her doc thinks it is simply due to overuse. She's in a boot, and that is slowing her down. She maintains a great attitude, though, and she has been a real inspiration to me. We're looking forward to a short trip next week to Huntsville, AL to see friends (first non-medical trip since Feb. 2020), and we have a couple of nice trips shaping up for next year.

We delayed our follow-up appointments at the Mayo Clinic until mid-January due to Kathy's stress fracture as that trip will require a lot of walking. A winter trip to Minnesota will be quite an adventure! ❄️ ☃️

How are you doing, my friend?

Hello everyone.

My name is Charlie, and I'm glad to be here. I'm happily married to Kathy, I hail from Kentucky and enjoy traveling, I'm retired and like to volunteer my time, and my shave journey begins here. Contrary to popular belief, I'm more of a city boy than a hillbilly.
My favorite foods are ice cream and ice cream, and I'm a huge Calvin and Hobbes fan. I like watches, especially ones that tick or need to be wound up. Pocket knives and fountain pens are OK too. I don't like to brag, but I know how to send and receive Morse Code. :)

Life can be serious at times, but I look for the humor in as many situations as I can. I consider all things related to traditional wet shaving to fall in the fun/humorous category.

For starters, here are the items currently in my den. I've given away, used up, and whittled down to things I enjoy using or having around. I have a few birth year/quarter razors representing me, family members, and friends. I will occasionally pick up something new or different, but my various acquisition disorders are currently under control.

Blades are another story. I stopped counting tucks and now measure my inventory to the nearest cubic foot. Let's just say supply chain issues don't keep me up at night, and I can use a new blade every three days without impacting supply for my heirs/descendants.

Razors
Feather Professional Artist Club SS
Gillette 7 O'Clock PII Trac II
Gillette Aristocrat
Gillette Fat Boy (G2 & G3)
Gillette NEW LC in Gun-Kote Bronze by Delta Echo Razor Works
Gillette NEW SC (2)
Gillette Old Type Single Ring (1911)
Gillette Slim (G3 & G4)
Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip (Z3, A3 Red Tip & K1)
Gillette Tech (L4 Travel)
Mongoose (batch 2) in satin SS w/Dr. Bomber handle
Mongoose (batch 2) in satin SS w/Big Bomber handle
Muhle R41 head (2013)
Parker SRX
Schick Injector Type E
Super Safety Razors Heavyweight Chrome Trac II
Weber polished SS head w/Bulldog handle
YAQI SE Katana head

Brushes
TSD 30 Day Crew (MrEE) LE Blue Aluminum handle w/Omega 40033 boar knot
TSD 30 Day Crew (jtspartan) LE Figured Maple handle w/APShaveCo Tuxedo bulb knot
TSD 30 Day Crew (jtspartan) LE Poculi handle w/28 mm APShaveCo SynBad flat top knot
B-400 by Tom handle w/Envy White Supreme two-band knot
MrEE Bead Blasted Red Anodized Aluminum Danger handle w/30 mm Maggard's SHD two-band fan knot
JR # 160 Louisville Slugger handle w/Omega 10098 boar knot
JR # 394 Bolivian Rosewood handle w/Cross medallion in base, inlaid Celtic Cross, and 26 mm Maggard's SHD two-band fan knot
Kent BK4 Silvertip
Kent BK8 Silvertip
Rudy Vey Chubby handle w/24 mm Shavemac Silvertip two-band bulb knot
Simpson Chubby 2 Super

Blades
Astra Superior Platinum DE
Feather Hi-Stainless Platinum Coated DE
Feather Professional SE
Feather Super Professional SE
Gillette Silver Blue Stainless DE
Personna Twin II Plus Cartridges
Polsilver Super Iridium Extra Stainless DE
Sharp Star Platinum Coated DE
Voskhod Teflon Coated DE

Soaps
Martin de Candre Original
Martin de Candre Unscented
Stirling Arkadia
Stirling Executive Man
Tabac Original

Witch Hazel

Alt-Innsbruck aftershave
Fine L’Orange Noir aftershave
Fine Platinum aftershave

Unrefined Shea Butter

Aramis EdT
Aramis Tobacco Reserve Eau de Parfum
Taconic Excalibur solid cologne
Terre d’Hermès Parfum

Other
Becker no. 1 large scuttle in Cactus Sand
Becker no. 11 brush scuttle in Cactus Sand
Dark Blue Brush scuttle by Ester in Whaletown, BC, Canada

I typically use the same razor and brush for a weeks at a time (boring for many, OK for me, helps with my technique), but I'm currently on a four-soap daily rotation.
I'll occasionally post details of my daily shaves in the posts to follow, and I would welcome your feedback and comments in order to help me improve my technique or results.

Thanks for reading!
Great intro. Charlie's one of the best. The niveau at TSC keeps getting better and better!

Thanks Jeff. Kathy is doing well overall, but she recently developed a stress fracture in her right foot. Her doc thinks it is simply due to overuse. She's in a boot, and that is slowing her down. She maintains a great attitude, though, and she has been a real inspiration to me. We're looking forward to a short trip next week to Huntsville, AL to see friends (first non-medical trip since Feb. 2020), and we have a couple of nice trips shaping up for next year.

We delayed our follow-up appointments at the Mayo Clinic until mid-January due to Kathy's stress fracture as that trip will require a lot of walking. A winter trip to Minnesota will be quite an adventure! ❄️ ☃️

How are you doing, my friend?
Doing well, Charlie, thanks! I can attest that vaccinations work! Shortly after receiving my third (booster), I brought the family out to La Jolla where I grew up, and caught a breakthrough Delta Variant infection. It felt like a bad cold and resolved in five days. So all’s well on this end. Good news about Kathy!

Since this a no-shave day, here's my shenanigans entry for the journal.

It's a well-known fact that classical hit songs, preferably those from the Golden Age of Disco, receive new life and meaning with shaving lyrics. This particular inspiration came upon me like a lightning strike after completing a 30-day shaving focus many moons ago. (I'm not a Williams or Lilac Vegetal connoisseur, but I may still have some after effects from the lightning strike.) :eek:

Smooth baby smooth
Smooth baby smooth
Smooth baby smooth
Smooth baby smooth
To my surprise a month of shaves gone by
Faces getting smooth y'all
Getting down on the Veg
Folks are screaming out of control
It was so entertaining
When the Williams started to explode
I heard somebody say
Smooth baby smooth Cadre inferno...

I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend.

Last edited:
Back