The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Chad's adventures of shaving, officiating, and life

Great couple of shaves and one picture Chad!

Glad to hear that Sadie is feeling better!

Ok Chad, you are off the hook for the pancakes. My wife read my mind and had stuffed french toast ready for me when I got home.

Dagwoodz said:
This is something I can absolutely relate to...all of the women in my house, (to include the cats), have this ability, and use it often. Frequently, they trigger each other...and it gets ugly quick.

Great shave though...I agree that the Bolzano's are great blades!
Thanks Josh. They don't explain the throw up very well when you leave the hospital with the little ones lol.
Majorrich said:
LOL This brings to mind images of my brother who has a very low threshold of vomit. I got to watch him try to change a diaper once with his first child. It took him 5 minutes. I wish cell phones had been invented then to record the event as it was completely nuts. I don't think he ever got any better either.

I used to throw up at the site or sound of someone else throwing up. Since having kids though it doesn't bother me.
NurseDave said:
For the record. I would like pancakes as well.

Come on out to Utah, I'll take you out for an awesome breakfast.

Quijote said:
Nice shave if it really happened.

I hope you made enough pancakes for the cadre. You can't just say something like that and leave us craving them all day.

Mmmm pancakes!

Smattayu said:
CBL soaps are outstanding. Great stuff Chad, and good to hear that Sadie is feeling better.

Thanks Eric
clyde72 said:
Great couple of shaves and one picture Chad!

Glad to hear that Sadie is feeling better!

Thanks Craig

Quijote said:
Ok Chad, you are off the hook for the pancakes. My wife read my mind and had stuffed french toast ready for me when I got home.

Mmm french toast!

Razor: Gillette Slim set to 7
Blade: Bolzano (3)
Soap: CBL The VEG!
Brush: Fine Stout
Aftershave1: T.N. Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Aftershave2: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

Well the shave today was another CBL Classic the Veg. With spring officially here and snow in the forecast for this weekend I figured it was time to use the Veg. Plus I am going through all my CBL soaps. A Lindsay showcase! The Veg is one of the most bi polar scents in all of shavedom, and while not my favorite and I couldn't use it every day. I do enjoy the scent and enjoy using it. Plus the lather was exceptional. The razor today is my Grandfather's Slim that I picked up from my grandma. Thankfully she kept it! But I can never get a BBS result from this razor so a DFS will have to do.

SOTD Pic:

Homefront:

Well I hope to get some pics up soon of the new car. But here is a pic of my gas mileage on my commute after dropping Connor off at school.

I suspect I will need to fill the tank once a month. With my car payment so low, insurance only $5 more over a 6 month period I suspect we will actually save a good amount of money. Well we thought we were past the sicknesses but sadly both kids woke up coughing this morning. I hope Connor feels better because this Saturday I bought tickets for him and I to go to Paw Patrol Live. And I bought him a VIP ticket! Yea I splurged a little bit on him. Here is what we are going to: https://www.pawpatrollive.com/shows/paw-patrol-race-to-the-rescue/gallery/

Well have a good day Cadre.

Bummer the kids are sick again. Seems like we've settled into just a baseline of semi-stuffed noses and occasional cough for the month with our kids.

Great read, shave, and picture Chad!

MMMMM Veg!!

Hope neither of the children are coming down with something!

Cvargo said:
The razor today is my Grandfather's Slim that I picked up from my grandma. Thankfully she kept it! But I can never get a BBS result from this razor so a DFS will have to do.

Strange most people get great results with a Slim. Have you checked the blade gap? Should be about 1 blade width at "1" and open up from there. If there is no gap between the top and safety bar at 1, then the gap never can change regardless of setting and needs to be adjusted.

Here is a pretty good video showing what I mean:

NurseDave said:
Bummer the kids are sick again. Seems like we've settled into just a baseline of semi-stuffed noses and occasional cough for the month with our kids.
clyde72 said:
Great read, shave, and picture Chad!

MMMMM Veg!!

Hope neither of the children are coming down with something!
Thanks Dave. We are hoping it's nothing serious. Kids were with my grandma and she said she thinks it is just colds. We are nervous though because my mom just got diagnosed with pneumonia and she was with us all weekend.

clyde72 said:
Strange most people get great results with a Slim. Have you checked the blade gap? Should be about 1 blade width at "1" and open up from there. If there is no gap between the top and safety bar at 1, then the gap never can change regardless of setting and needs to be adjusted.

Here is a pretty good video showing what I mean:

I never considered that it might need an adjustment. I'll check it out when I get home because I'd love to be able to use this razor more. Has a lot of sentimental value.

Razor: Parker Variant set to 3
Blade: Bolzano (4)
Soap: CBL Rose, MdC Clone
Brush: Razorock Beehive
Aftershave2: 4711

Well continuing with the CBL soaps up today is one of his great scents in my opinion the Rose. I really enjoy the light rose scent on this one. He states it is an MdC clone and it behaves just like it. like true MdC fashion everything is great but post shave could be better. I elected to use the Parker Variant today and sticking with this Bolzano blade, these are really impressing me! Still perfectly smooth and plenty sharp. I think a 100 pack is in my future. You know because I need to add to my DE hoard of course. I wrapped up the shave with the 4711 I really like this scent and it seems to pair well with Rose scents. I left the house and feel great dare I say OBBS! Oh what's OGBBS? Well everyone is using these fun terms well that is is Obsidian Glass Baby Butt Smooth!

SOTD Pic

Homefront:

Well both kids are fighting colds, and it seems to be effecting Sadie worse than Connor. In true Sadie fashion last night after giving her some medicine she decided to throw up on demand, and emptied her stomach of dinner, milk, and of course medicine. Well back in bed with us and she did actually sleep all right. Maybe the forced throw up pushed out some of the phlegm. The rains begin to hit us today, and it should stop around Sunday. Which really sucks because I need good weather on the weekends so I can work on the trailer! The clock is ticking and I need to get it camping ready.

Have a good day Cadre!

Great shave today with a great soap, Chad. I know you stated yesterday that the Timeless is your favorite DE, but how does the Variant stack up in your DE stable vs. the Rockwell 6S or others?

Dagwoodz said:
Great shave today with a great soap, Chad. I know you stated yesterday that the Timeless is your favorite DE, but how does the Variant stack up in your DE stable vs. the Rockwell 6S or others?

Thanks Josh... boy that is a hard question to answer. If I answer strictly based off of DE. Here is how I would rate my DEs. I am NOT going to include my Vintage Gillettes because they have sentimental value as most of them are my grandfathers and it can cloud my actual judgement. So With what is currently in my stable here is the rankings:

Timeless > Rockwell 6s=> Parker Variant > Muhle R41 > QShave Futur Clone > Razorock Slab > Merkur 37c > Piccolo Open Comb > Stirling Razor (similar to 34C but the head is not the best)

NOw my Gillettes are A Old Type Open comb, Slim, Tech, Flare Tip. I get good shaves from all of them. With the nod to the Open Comb as providing me the best shave.

Nice shave. I still haven't pulled the trigger on a 100 pack. Rating DEs is tough for me too. I only have 3, but the top 2 are interchangeable depending on situation.

I hope the little ones get better.

Cvargo said:
I left the house and feel great dare I say OBBS! Oh what's OGBBS? Well everyone is using these fun terms well that is is Obsidian Glass Baby Butt Smooth!

Tweet!! Technical foul!

Nice set up and shave Chad. You can't go wrong with CBL.

Cvargo said:
Oh what's OGBBS? Well everyone is using these fun terms well that is is Obsidian Glass Baby Butt Smooth!

Suuure, jump right on the bandwagon. Be careful though, it's been going long enough to have built up some speed.

Quijote said:
Nice shave. I still haven't pulled the trigger on a 100 pack. Rating DEs is tough for me too. I only have 3, but the top 2 are interchangeable depending on situation.

I hope the little ones get better.
My favorite blade seems to always change lol. Really you should rate the combo I think. What blade with what razor. Now that would be difficult.

Are you hinting at a custom title request with that big line?

NurseDave said:
Tweet!! Technical foul!

When I was coaching I've been on the receiving end of quite a few.
Smattayu said:
Nice set up and shave Chad. You can't go wrong with CBL.
Smattayu said:
Suuure, jump right on the bandwagon. Be careful though, it's been going long enough to have built up some speed.

Thanks Eric. This wagon will never slow down

Cvargo said:
Are you hinting at a custom title request with that big line?
No, just seeing if we could put quotes into signatures. That seemed like a prime example.

Quijote said:
No, just seeing if we could put quotes into signatures. That seemed like a prime example.

Opps that was supposed to say sig line not big line lol

Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Bolzano (5)
Soap: CBL Jeris Lard Formula
Brush: Stirling Boar
Aftershave2: Osage Rub
Cologne: Bath and Body Works Lime and Corriander

Well today was another great shave. Today with the Muhle R41 paired with the Bolzano which on the clean up pass I could tell the blade was done. So it seems 4 is the sweet spot for that Bolzano blade. I am sure with the same razor, and using abilities to stretch a blade I could get it to go further but there is no need. 4 shaves from a blade is plenty. The CBL soap used today is a fantastic soap, made with Lard. The scent is sadly practically gone still a faint amount there but not as strong as when it first entered the den. All in all a good shave today and just two CBL soaps left. After that I think I might try and kill a tub of TOBs that is almost gone, and then on April 1st I am going to use all my SV soaps.

SOTD Pic

Homefront:

Well the daughter is starting to feel better. But my son apparently threw up yesterday, and the cough is still there. Been treating the symptoms and according to him, he choked and that's why he threw up. So not r
eally sure if its related to being sick. No fevers though. I am hoping it settles down so he is staying home today, I take him to Paw Patrol live tomorrow and I really want him to enjoy it. Also yesterday literally right after we pulled dinner out of the oven the power went out. We had severe winds yesterday and the power was out for a little over an hour. So we ate dinner next to battery operated lanterns that we bought for camping lol. And then played games while we waited for the power to come back on. Thankfully the temps outside were around 60, and inside never dropped below 70.

Have a happy and blessed Friday cadre!

Back