The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Camping and RVing thread

Sound like a great trip Chad. I love visiting those places you find along the way like the boyhood home of Robert Leroy Parker. I would love to see that. Is that Circleville? We did visit Rock Springs, Wyoming where Parker was apprenticed as a butcher (and got his first name). Cassidy was a name he took from another outlaw of the time--cattle thief Mike Cassidy. We also visited Sundance, Wyoming where the Sundance Kid (Harry Longabaugh) was jailed and got his nickname. This is a picture of Etta Place and Harry Longabaugh:
1594157905134.png

Sound like a great trip Chad. I love visiting those places you find along the way like the boyhood home of Robert Leroy Parker. I would love to see that. Is that Circleville? We did visit Rock Springs, Wyoming where Parker was apprenticed as a butcher (and got his first name). Cassidy was a name he took from another outlaw of the time--cattle thief Mike Cassidy. We also visited Sundance, Wyoming where the Sundance Kid (Harry Longabaugh) was jailed and got his nickname. This is a picture of Etta Place and Harry Longabaugh:
View attachment 29215
Yup circleville. And I'm actually related to Sundance Kid.

Yup circleville. And I'm actually related to Sundance Kid.
Amazing. So now you work for a bank instead of robbing them? The Sundance Kid would be appalled.:)

How are you related to Longabaugh? Your post above got me started looking at the whole Wild Bunch Gang and I have spent the last three hours looking at this material online which is how I learned about Circleville. I find it fascinating. Apparently, the whole South American episode was drawn out. At one point, Etta Place asked Longabaugh to return her to the US. The two travelled by steamship to San Francisco. He returned to South America and she disappeared from view into the mists of time.

Amazing. So now you work for a bank instead of robbing them? The Sundance Kid would be appalled.:)

How are you related to Longabaugh? Your post above got me started looking at the whole Wild Bunch Gang and I have spent the last three hours looking at this material online which is how I learned about Circleville. I find it fascinating. Apparently, the whole South American episode was drawn out. At one point, Etta Place asked Longabaugh to return her to the US. The two travelled by steamship to San Francisco. He returned to South America and she disappeared at that point.

Well according family folklore...

My great great grandparents where sheep herders in southern Utah in that region. Butch Cassidy's dad my grandfather where acquaintances and traded a lot between the two farms. When Butch got older hit his outlaw ways he would go to those regions of southeastern Utah to hideout because of its remoteness and the natural cover in the canyons. Grandpa had 12 kids, one of the older ones who had kids of her own her daughter became a mistress to Sundance. Sundance knew the child was his but because he was on the run never became a father figure. Now according to the family they did not die in South America but instead survived changed their names and died in Utah. Sundance supposedly lived out his final days in Hatch Utah with a relationship to his illegitimate daughter.

Now obviously if you read on the internet there are MANY stories out there. And if you know anything about Utah history and the major religion here. You would know that they would lie to make the family look good. There are no pictures to support these claims. But my dad does have letters that he inherited between Butch and my grandpa, and between Sundance and my cousin. Those I have read and we did have verified as authentic to the period. But they used a lot of fake names but the letters where consistently penned by the same person the expert said but couldn't confirm they where from them. None where dated after the South America incident either. So again who knows. But it is fun to read up on.

Well according family folklore...

My great great grandparents where sheep herders in southern Utah in that region. Butch Cassidy's dad my grandfather where acquaintances and traded a lot between the two farms. When Butch got older hit his outlaw ways he would go to those regions of southeastern Utah to hideout because of its remoteness and the natural cover in the canyons. Grandpa had 12 kids, one of the older ones who had kids of her own her daughter became a mistress to Sundance. Sundance knew the child was his but because he was on the run never became a father figure. Now according to the family they did not die in South America but instead survived changed their names and died in Utah. Sundance supposedly lived out his final days in Hatch Utah with a relationship to his illegitimate daughter.

Now obviously if you read on the internet there are MANY stories out there. And if you know anything about Utah history and the major religion here. You would know that they would lie to make the family look good. There are no pictures to support these claims. But my dad does have letters that he inherited between Butch and my grandpa, and between Sundance and my cousin. Those I have read and we did have verified as authentic to the period. But they used a lot of fake names but the letters where consistently penned by the same person the expert said but couldn't confirm they where from them. None where dated after the South America incident either. So again who knows. But it is fun to read up on.
What a great story (or 2 or 3). I find this fascinating. When I went down that rabbit hole yesterday, I learned that there was some ambiguity with regard to the supposed bodies of Butch and Sundance when they were killed in South America. Specifically, in San Vicente, Bolivia. Two Americans had robbed a mine payroll.
The soldiers, the police chief, the local mayor, and some of his officials all surrounded the lodging house on tn he evening of November 6, intending to arrest the Aramayo robbers. But as they approached the house, the bandits opened fire, killing one of the soldiers and wounding another and starting a gunfight. The mayor heard a man scream three times inside the house, then two successive shots were fired from inside the house.[24]

The authorities entered the house the next morning where they found two bodies with numerous bullet wounds to the arms and legs. The man assumed to be Longabaugh had a bullet wound in the forehead, and the man thought to be Cassidy had a bullet hole in the temple. The local police report speculated that, judging from the positions of the bodies, Cassidy had probably shot the fatally wounded Longabaugh to put him out of his misery, then killed himself. The Tupiza police identified the bandits as the men who robbed the Aramayo payroll transport, but the Bolivian authorities didn't know their real names, nor could they positively identify them.[24]

The bodies were buried at the small San Vicente cemetery, near the grave of a German miner named Gustav Zimmer. American forensic anthropologist Clyde Snow and his researchers attempted to find the graves in 1991, but they did not find any remains with DNA matching the living relatives of Cassidy and Longabaugh.[24]

This then tracks with your family stories.

My Grandmother on my Father's side told similar stories, many of them centered around Aunt Clara who had shot her husband. She ended up in Beverly Hills married to a movie producer according to family lore. Because she had money, she loaned my Father money to attend Hastings College of the Law in San Francisco. He graduated third in his class in 1938 and repaid her afterwards. Supposedly, there was a movie made about her. Yeah, right. I do have family pictures which include Aunt Clara.

I discounted these stories as being fanciful then this popped up:

nDepth: A Deadly Affair

And this:

1594210116458.png

Now I know why Aunt Clara had money to loan to my Dad. I am also more inclined to give credibility to the stories told by my Grandma (she claimed we are related to two Presidents, she knew Frank James, she saw Sitting Bull).

So this morning dropped the MH off at an alignment shop that works on Semi's. Long story my Great Uncle who passed away a few years ago used to own the shop. So the now shop owner and I reminisced for a little bit. Well when I got the call to come back and pick it up, he said he replaced the shims, did the alignment, and then the alignment was so bad he had to adjust the steering stabilizer I recently installed that was effectively compensating for the bad alignment. He asked me, "How the hell where you driving this thing for more than an hour your arms had to be exhausted!" Apparently the alignment was REAL bad! So after the shims, alignment, and stabilizer adjustment... oh yea and a family discount my wallet is now $275 less. But I should get more life out of the tires now, and apparently not be so tired after a drive. Which is always good.

So this morning dropped the MH off at an alignment shop that works on Semi's. Long story my Great Uncle who passed away a few years ago used to own the shop. So the now shop owner and I reminisced for a little bit. Well when I got the call to come back and pick it up, he said he replaced the shims, did the alignment, and then the alignment was so bad he had to adjust the steering stabilizer I recently installed that was effectively compensating for the bad alignment. He asked me, "How the hell where you driving this thing for more than an hour your arms had to be exhausted!" Apparently the alignment was REAL bad! So after the shims, alignment, and stabilizer adjustment... oh yea and a family discount my wallet is now $275 less. But I should get more life out of the tires now, and apparently not be so tired after a drive. Which is always good.
It’s all about who you know!

@Cvargo Ah those memories from when you show up unannounced at your relatives' house at Christmas in an RV:

"You better take a raincheck on that. He's got a lip fungus we haven't quite identified." I have always thought that If you are looking around trying to figure out who Cousin Eddie is in your family, its probably you.

Last edited:
Back