The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon Country Shave Journal - Dave in KY

I’m really sorry to hear about your Dad. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope the service goes as well as it can, given the current circumstances.

Very wise words indeed regarding the shenanigans going on elsewhere on other forums. It had saddened me to see things being aired in public they way they have been, and I hope that both parties can come to an amicable solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Late addition but well said Dave...just gotta move on!

Hope the service went well. Continued thoughts and prayers for you and your family during this time.

Good for us all to remember that. Services on Zoom at 2 today for my Dad that passed away Monday morning from cancer. Let's try to keep things in perspective in life. Have a great day Cadre !!!
Sorry I'm late to the game....Sorry to hear about your Dad. Prayers for you and your family.

Prayers for you and your family, Dave. Even when you can see it coming losing a parent is hard.

I left the other place because it just wasn't fun anymore. Too much drama.

I don't get over here as much as I used to so it is belated condolences that I must extend Dave. This is a profound loss.

On a different topic, we both appear to be using our Vectors loaded with Schick Proline a lot lately. Good combo.

Safe travels to you !😎
Ironically, we are in the process of buying a home in the same development where we have our RV Port here in Florida. It does have a 49 foot enclosed RV garage attached to the home so our RV will move right over to the new abode. Still, we are hoping to hit the road next year for an extended trip as in years' past. This year has been a complete Covid bust. Cue Creedence: Stuck In Floridi Again (or more accurately Still).

Last edited:
Ironically, we are in the process of buying a home in the same development where we have our RV Port here in Florida. It does have a 49 foot enclosed RV garage attached to the home so our RV will move right over to the new abode. Still, we are hoping to hit the road next year for an extended trip as in years' past. This year has been a complete Covid bust. Cue Creedence: Stuck In Floridi Again (or more accurately Still).
Hope things go smoothly on the purchase and future plans come to fruition (y)

I look forward to your travels...I can only dream that I am able to do something like that one day!

I look forward to your travels...I can only dream that I am able to do something like that one day!
I hear that often. But know this--the journey that you are on as a new Father is extraordinary and wonderful. Just wait until your son or daughter kicks rear end in school and gets into, say, Stanford. One of my daughters got into Rhode Island School of Design. I took a look at the cost, grimaced and figured out how to afford this school for her. What are you going to do, say no? It is all part of this journey you have in front of you. Good luck and enjoy.

I’ve been late to everything lately.... Dave, I’m sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my family’s prayers.

On the lighter side, I think you sold me on the Henson. I don’t like aluminum razors for the same reason, but I do LOVE me a smooth, mild, efficient shaver. And for $40 brand new? Different colors?? Made in North America??? Officially SOLD

thanks Brother, take care 😎

I hear that often. But know this--the journey that you are on as a new Father is extraordinary and wonderful. Just wait until your son or daughter kicks rear end in school and gets into, say, Stanford. One of my daughters got into Rhode Island School of Design. I took a look at the cost, grimaced and figured out how to afford this school for her. What are you going to do, say no? It is all part of this journey you have in front of you. Good luck and enjoy.
That's a great way to look at it.

By the way...I am a big fan of Rhode Island School of Design...well, really only because of their unofficial mascot. Sorry...I am a teenage boy at heart in in mind!

That's a great way to look at it.

By the way...I am a big fan of Rhode Island School of Design...well, really only because of their unofficial mascot. Sorry...I am a teenage boy at heart in in mind!
I am probably the only guy you know who has been to the Barbie Doll Hall of Fame. I took one of my daughters and really enjoyed it. Weird how that goes. Girls rock! Wait until you take your new one camping!

I did see a t-shirt at the RISD bookstore which featured their nickname for their intramural team, the Nads. Appropriately, it read Go Nads!

Last edited:
Thursday September 24, 2020

Razor: Paradigm Diamondback
Blade: Tiger Platinum (1)
Brush: TSC 2nd Anniversary Handle/Badger - Boar Knot
Soap: CFG Ghost Town Barber
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: CFG Ghost Town Barber
Fragrance: CFG Ghost Town Barber EdP

So @JWS VII John set me up with a blade to try some time ago. It was a Tiger blade and may have been carbon steel. Within a couple strokes it was clear it was as bad as or worse than the Graham Field Blade as it pulled the hair out rather than cutting it. Fast forward to the Tiger Platinum blade which is Stainless Steel that were gifted to me along with a razor and were sent in good faith and accepted that way. Mark @ShaveMD is a great guy and experienced shaver and I thank him for the chance to try this different version from the same maker. Tiger Platinum blades are produced by the former manufacturer of the Astra blades from the Czech Republic. Unfortunately after a few strokes today it was clear that they are sharper than the carbon blades but not sharp for shaving at all. There was some tugging immediately but I got thru the 1st wtg pass. I figured as I did my 1st pass that I would finish that pass and then switch before the 2nd pass. After rinsing I thought why not just finish the shave with it. Maybe it will smooth out, but as I started the 2nd pass I decided it wasn't worth the discomfort or sub par shave and was time to change it. I didn't need a whole shave to know it wasn't going to give good results and it was not comfortable. So mid 2nd pass I switched to a new Wizamet and finished the shave. 1st few strokes and I can't swear it but may have let out an audible Ahhhhhhhh. It's a shame the blades are so bad as I like the packaging and logo but they're a no go for me. Happy to send some out to anyone that wants to try them as Mark is a generous person and sent 5 or 6 tucks of them. Wrapped it all up with some GTB splash and EdP. Have a great day Cadre !!
IMG_20200923_212708454.jpgIMG_20200923_212952811.jpg

Last edited:
Back