The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon Country Shave Journal - Dave in KY

I think the lighting was fine...I can just pick out a rich, deep brown color from it. Stoked that we’re gonna be getting those brushes to their homes soon!

Monday August 17, 2020
Razor: Razorock German Slant
Blade: Asco Orange (?)
Brush: Wolf Whisker Black Wolf
Soap: Lakewood Smokeberry
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Nivea Deep Comfort
Fragrance: Ferrari Scuderia Black

This Smokeberry is an AMAZING blackberry scent and Lakewood makes a great soap. Great shave with the German slant. In the SOTD I listed blade as a Wizamet but it's actually an ASCO Orange. Wanted to visit the Nivea a 2nd time before giving thoughts. At 1st use I didn't perceive much value from it. After 2nd use I will say it's a nice feeling aftershave. More use needed for a final thought. It doesn't seem to be as nourishing as the 2 into 1 but it feels less greasy so more can be used. Nice fragrance and has a place in the den. As I'm typing this and checking my face it does absorb better and leaves the face feeling soft. Dave likey! Topping off with the Black again. Have a great day Cadre !!
IMG_20200816_201634353.jpg

Wanted to visit the Nivea a 2nd time before giving thoughts. At 1st use I didn't perceive much value from it. After 2nd use I will say it's a nice feeling aftershave. More use needed for a final thought. It doesn't seem to be as nourishing as the 2 into 1 but it feels less greasy so more can be used.
Ya, but can you "Pa-POW!!!" it??

Tuesday August 18, 2020
Razor: Timeless Bronze SB
Blade: Wizamet (1)
Brush: @Graydog Quilt
Soap: Tallow & Steel Sicily
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Tallow & Steel Sicily
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Bayolea

2 new to me things I used today and after 1 use the skinny is I think they're both winners for me. The soap base is great and the scent on this was a nice bitter orange with more going on that all agreed with me. Would I buy it? Yep ! Will I hunt it down and wait with my PayPal logged into on standby for the release moment to beat the mad rush of clicking mouses ? NOPE ! I do like it and would buy it, but it isn't special enough to jump thru hoops. That's not a knock on it. Just not something I like to do for any product in this day and age of enormous selection of elite soaps with easier availability. The aftershave was another enjoyable aspect of the shave and performed as I like my splashes to. Not greasy and absorbed well and felt nourishing. I would put T&S on par with Ariana and Evans soap and splashes which was a winner for me even before the Kaizen base which I have yet to try. A&E is just easier to acquire so would no doubt get the nod 1st from me.

Next up was the Timeless Bronze .38 SB and .78 OC. I used the OC in Josh's pass around of it and got a good shave but it sure wasn't a daily driver for me. I was curious about the SB and had it on my radar if one popped up and the timing was right to buy it and try it. Guess what happened..........................Boy you're smart ! That's right a complete set with both base plates AND a stand showed up for less than what a Bronze SB razor alone would be. Momma didn't raise no fool, so I was in like Flynn. The shave today was an enjoyable shave and reaped great results. This razor will prove blade gap alone does NOT dictate the shave. Blade gap, exposure, rigidity and curvature of the holding position of the blade............. DO. This .38 gap razor..................that's right .38 is efficient with good technique. It actually has some blade feel but not uncomfortably so. Just enough to let you know you have the correct angle. Just 1 shave in but This may be a keeper....................................well for as long as keepers last in the KY den anyway 🤪

Long work day yesterday and end of the month and my work route has me off the next 2 and work again on Thursday followed by a Cadre Friday. Have a great day Cadre !!
IMG_20200817_231133312.jpg

Very fun read Dave! I'm glad that both products are winners for you. That razor sure is purty! I have been wanting to try T&S, but right now the only scent that really appeals to me is Boreal and they are out of stock. Oh well, like you said there are many more great soaps to try!

Very fun read Dave! I'm glad that both products are winners for you. That razor sure is purty! I have been wanting to try T&S, but right now the only scent that really appeals to me is Boreal and they are out of stock. Oh well, like you said there are many more great soaps to try!
Thanks Pat, have a great day !

Sounds like you had a lovely shave. I agree with the jumping through hoops aspect. I have a couple T&S soaps, but probably only because they're probably on the very polarizing side. Or maybe I just got lucky. Have a good one. You know what to do!

Back