The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Blasts from my past

haggises

Shave Member
Normally I'm bearded, just shaving cheeks and neck. Also normally I shave it all off once a year or so to let my face see the light of day.
Since the covid times, I got out of the habit of shaving daily. Once a week, once every two weeks, irregular quick swipes in the shower or after shower if I had somewhere to be. Face also not seen sun shine on the skin since probably 2019.

Today I broke out of my funk and determined to use all the razors in my collection over this year. And since the Missus is away for a couple of weeks I decided to lose the fuzz. (she prefers me bearded, so do I for thst matter)

How to get through a beard when you can't find your trimmer? Use a straight edge. How to use a straight when none of em are sharp? Use a shavette.

So to start back in to it....
Razor - some shavette of unknown origin
Blade - Astra Stainless
Brush - B&B 2014 Members brush, shavemac finest
Soap - Queen Charlotte Soaps Fougere

Apparently I still know how to shave. And I still can't do under my nose with a straight. Or ATG.
So... Part 2
Razor - 1940s Aristocrat
Blade-Trig
Brush - same
Soap - Mystic Water Marrakesh

Aftershave - Aqua Velva Icy Blue

Result - not too shabby. No cuts!
The soaps were in the back of the closet and hadn't been used for at least 5 years, the QCS probably more than thst. Hint of scent left in each. Lathered easily with both. The QCS is still about the slickest soap I ever used. The MW the most skin friendly.

Now let me see if I can keep this up.

Quite the accomplishment! Congrats. Great soap choices.
Mystic Water still stonkingly good!
I've got a few more flavors at the back of the closet.
Also broke out a Weck hair shaper but the Fromm blade wasn't cutting it. Got some Personna on the way, and because the shaving is addictive, bid on a Sextoblade.

Full face shave 2

Razor - CJB then Aristocrat
Blade - Feather Pro then Astra Stainless
Brush - Fine synth
Soap - Mystic Water Bay Rum

The CJB was my first foray into straight/shavette shaving after a Feather Artist Club SS and DX(RX?) passaround. I couldn't justify 65 bucks for a real Feather, so got the knockoff.
The Pro blade is one of my favorites, but it doesn't necessarily favor me. One pass seemed to go great, then about 10 weepers appeared on my chin. Oh my.
Finished up with the 40s Aristocrat.

Mw Bay Rum, still has a fair amount of scent, anf I confirmed - Still The Best Scent In All Of Shavedom.
8d6c70f4447cec703eaa2af95c9d8c88.jpg

Welcome to the wonderful world of AC open blade shaving! It’s a grand place…as long as you keep a light touch 😮‍💨

Pretty sure that if i haven't managed to scar myself then it's hard to do. i've cut my face with every razor i ever used, from DE's to shavettes to straights, sextoblades...
That takes dedication and practise.
i have spent a lot of money on styptic pencils and blood-clotting agents, but i started with a face only a mother could love anyway!

T

Pretty sure that if i haven't managed to scar myself then it's hard to do. i've cut my face with every razor i ever used, from DE's to shavettes to straights, sextoblades...
That takes dedication and practise.
i have spent a lot of money on styptic pencils and blood-clotting agents, but i started with a face only a mother could love anyway!

T
If I look closely I can see one vertical scar on my cheek from around my early attempts with a straight.
The only thing that put me off straights was the maintenance. Never was able to get a great edge. Managed some passable edges but never great.
That will be a later blast from the past - finding the stones in the basement.

3rd full face.

Razor - New Standard, I think (Bostonian?)
Blade - polsilver super iridium
Cream - Coates Lime
Brush - Vie Long horsehair

That's a lot easier.
The Vie Long was my first real brush. Old horse sheds quite a bit these days.
The Coates was from a tip from @beginish, and is still one of the best I've tried.
Real easy, near BBS. Except not sure how I nicked the inside of my nostril.

Next up, a single edge for my last full face.
1912, 1914, 1924, MMOC, CP, Bullet tip.... Decisions decisions...
b1faa9e757b9705fb846687cfa766188.jpg

Can't be that coarse, these guys wear it all day.

and play these at night.

Nevertheless, i'll stick with my old faithful boar brushes taken from the hair on a pig's back as God intended!

T

3rd full face.

Razor - New Standard, I think (Bostonian?)
Blade - polsilver super iridium
Cream - Coates Lime
Brush - Vie Long horsehair

That's a lot easier.
The Vie Long was my first real brush. Old horse sheds quite a bit these days.
The Coates was from a tip from @beginish, and is still one of the best I've tried.
Real easy, near BBS. Except not sure how I nicked the inside of my nostril.

Next up, a single edge for my last full face.
1912, 1914, 1924, MMOC, CP, Bullet tip.... Decisions decisions...
b1faa9e757b9705fb846687cfa766188.jpg

The Coates was fantastic, with Coates Tea Tree being my all time favorite cream. They also made the only Sandalwood I could tolerate.

Ditched the full face routine already. Too tired.
Today was neck and cheeks only. Went with my first SE, the gorgeously handled Ever Ready 1912. Still a near perfect razor.
The Palmolive cream was a long past foray into Indian creams. Performs well enough, but like the stick, smells of Palmolive. Bleach. It's not as bad as the Old Spice cream, but after one shaving reminder, it reached the same trash can fate.

Razor - ER 1912
Blade - GEM ptfe SS
Brush - B&B boar
Cream - Indian Palmolive

Back