The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bingo Game #38 - The Hunt for the White Whale

Well aBle ta navvviiate the waters and escape Nantucket t’ the sea G’n’ t’haavve a helluva journey!

Ship’s Log : Day 2. To posterity who read this ship’s log, please excuse the poor spelling in the entry above. Out at sea, outside of the constable’s jurisdiction, so I let one of the crew take a stab at writing the log today. I mean honestly, what’s they use, he didn’t even include the relevant numbers which are typically part of each call. Oh well, it is not to be today. We must forgive those who aren’t as knowledgeable as we are, it isn’t their fault they didn’t have access to a fine education. I will only add the relevant detail that 5 calls have been posted today.

• Starbuck (aka Eric the Bingo Wizard)

Isn't it a little early in the voyage to be drinking that much rum?

R.9f82dce663d92e5343f3032ca5eeeafe

Well poop...I got busy yesterday and forgot about the bingo game. I will need to catch up today. Looks like I will be getting very little done at work today! 🤪

Well poop...I got busy yesterday and forgot about the bingo game. I will need to catch up today. Looks like I will be getting very little done at work today! 🤪
I think my style of calling will be right up your alley. Nothing hidden in a million posts. So far all calls have been in the open on this thread. You just need to puzzle them out.

Isn't it a little early in the voyage to be drinking that much rum?
So I don’t have a shaving journal (yet) or other way for you guys to learn more about me, so if I have time and the opportunities arise, I’ll add some personal background about myself to this thread.
In my real life, rum is my spirit of choice. Got into rum after college (so I skipped the binge and purge phase that keeps so many away from rum for the rest of their lives). Was introduced to some of the best rum in the world by my then girlfriend, now wife’s father. This was back around 2006, when most people still only knew about “light” or “dark” rum. Now the range of very high quality rums has grown considerably covering all sorts of different tastes. Have learned over the years to really sip and savor rum to pull out the different flavors. Some personal favorites (on no particular order) are:
Rhum Barbancourt 15 year (Haiti)
El Dorado 12 year (Guyana)
Nearly anything from FourSquare/Richard Seale
A nice Martinique Rhum Agricole (JM or Clement)
I’m also a sucker for some good Jamaican funk (Here I go with the masses and get some J Wray)

Ship’s Log : Day 3. One thing that strikes me now is that some of the crew on this voyage are more literate than first suspected. I’ll have to think of a way to conceal some of the more sensitive information going forward. Perhaps I can draw inspiration from the Classics? Gallia est omnis divisa in partes quinque may well inspire.
Ytifd ymj hfqqx fwj l ktwyd jnlmy. G knkyjjs. N ybjsyd tsj. G ybjqaj. G ybt.

Xyfwgzhp (aka Eric the Bingo Wizard)

V calls today, all posted.

Now the range of very high quality rums has grown considerably

At our household, we are definitely a quantity over quality, and don't drink rum straight, only as a mixer. We stick to Bacardi and Cruzan primarily.

At our household, we are definitely a quantity over quality, and don't drink rum straight, only as a mixer. We stick to Bacardi and Cruzan primarily.
I would highly recommend trying some higher quality rum as sippers. They have a really broad range of flavors to suit most people and by and large the most expensive rums top out around $100, so you can sample the best in the world without the sort of investment you need to sample fine wines or scotch/whisky/whiskey (or even many bourbons now for that matter). If you’re interested tell me what sort of flavors you guys like and I can send over a personalized tasting guide.

Back