The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bingo Game #38 - The Hunt for the White Whale

EMG06

"TSC's Bingo Admiral"
Welcome Friends to TSC Bingo #38
The hunt for the White Whale

Ahoy! As some of you may remember, I am a Quaker, and while my little sect is often known for its pacifism, campaigning for social justice, and education; it is often forgotten that we were a major force in an environmental horror perpetrated back in the 18th and 19th centuries. American Whalers based out of the Northeast were often run by Quaker financial backers, and many whalers had Quaker captains or mates.

So call me Starbuck (Quaker 1st mate on the Pequod, naturally) and join me on a Nautical Whaling themed bingo game, as we hunt for white whales.

The terms of your voyage contract are as follows:
1. Sign-ups are open starting right now. You may still sign up for up to a week after the game starts (if you want to play catch up). The first call will be on Monday January 3rd, 2022.

2. You must be a TSC member in good standing, with at least 10 meaningful posts. Hopefully this will encourage at least some of our newer members to jump in!

3. Spirited banter is highly encouraged, but be a gentleman in all interactions.

4. Calls will be Standard American Bingo Hall calls, consisting of the Letters: B, I, N, G, or O and their corresponding Numbers: 1-75 (Examples: B2, I18, N42, G55, O69). Numbers found without the corresponding letter are not valid calls.

4a. Exception: there may be puzzles that result in a number only. I will warn players in advance that these are bingo calls.

4b. The random letters in a file name of a photo or GIF will not be a valid call. I don’t want to be double checking the names of every file I upload!

5. There will be at least 3 calls per day, if more than 3 calls are posted the caller will state how many have been or will be posted that day.

Calls will be found in one of EMG06’s posts/activities for the given day, anywhere within the TSC Forum. Remember, if you see a Bingo Number in one of EMG06’s posts it is a call! If an unintentional call was made (and can be proved valid), it will be honored.

Calls may be posted all at once, or throughout the course of any given day. The caller will state when all calls are available for that day.

6. Calls can occur in a variety of ways:

Plain Text calls, typed directly or hidden within a post. Puzzles, Word Games, Photo, video, numeric, code, alternate Languages, audio, encryption, steganography, links to external sources, or graphic representation of calls may be employed.
Calls may be encoded or hidden in puzzles, requiring the player to decode or solve to determine the actual call. (If at any point you are stumped you may contact the caller or another player by PM for help).
There are no time machines on whaling vessels, so I won’t be using the ability to edit old posts to make calls that way.

7. Bingo cards: Each player will receive 1 Card, which will be sent via PM before the game begins unless you sign up after the game begins. I will allow sign-ups to continue during the first week of the game only or until extra cards run out. You may print out your cards, or keep it digital. As calls are received mark them on your cards.

8. Like all good nautical adventures, X marks the spot. To win, you will need the exact X pattern on your card shown on the example below. Once you believe you have a bingo you must type "TSC BINGO" in this thread. The first person to call TSC BINGO wins the game (There are no ties). Then you must submit a photo of your card in this thread, for verification by the caller, before it is official. If it is not a good Bingo, play will resume.
4a93a82ee2157f724c9657d351bec238.png

9. The winner of this game will receive the following:

The highly coveted Bingo Wizard Badge and bragging rights!

The honor of being the caller of the next Bingo game (to be started within 4 weeks of winning--no bogarting the badge!).

An additional prize may be offered at the discretion of the caller (callers are not required to offer a prize). See below for more on prizes this game.

10. These rules must be posted by the caller before each game, edited for the specifics of their game.

11. If you have any questions, or if any rule needs clarification, let the caller know. The caller has the final say in any questions, disputes, or clarifications regarding calls/rules.

12. Have Fun! Or, Go Crazy! But..... Why Not Both??

Ok, that's the small print. Now here is the important part of this game (well, beyond getting the coveted Bingo Wizard badge bestowed upon you at least)…the prize part!

All players who want to win a prize will get a prize this game. Consider it hazard pay for coming on this perilous journey with me. The first player to call TSC Bingo will win the Bingo Wizard badge. They will also have their first pick of the white whales.

Each subsequent person to post a valid TSC bingo will then get to pick a new whale or steal the whale of somebody who has come before them. So the person who finishes first will be the next bingo Wizard. The person who finishes last will have the most power to pick a prize that suits them. If your prize is taken, you will have the opportunity to pick a new white whale from the depths of the ocean.

Each white whale is a brand new, never before used, shaving soap made by either Barrister and Mann, Declaration Grooming, Noble Otter, or CBL soaps. Because whales are hard to see under the water, I’ll post up a list of some cryptic clues based on the names of the soaps to help you try and figure out what it is you might be getting. The list of prizes/clues will be posted after sign ups have closed (I need a final headcount to know how many prizes to post).

Once a whale is selected it will be crossed off the list and the item and it’s current owner will be posted in the thread so everyone knows what you have and what’s still out there.

At the very end of the game before prizes are shipped, you may decline your final prize or gift it to another player, but please play along with the selection process during the course of play.

Because there is (for once) an advantage to coming in last, I will ask you all to be gentlemanly, accept it when you have won, and announce it in a timely fashion.

This is my first time calling. Will I lead you on a satisfying journey of bingo adventure by creating a game that is destined to be considered an American classic or an obsessive compulsive hunt for a mythical beast that leaves (almost) everybody dead in the waters of the South Pacific?!?!? Only you get to decide that!
Who's ready to set sail for a fun game of bingo?!

Copy/Paste:
Bingo Game #38 Signups:
CALLER: EMG06 (Eric the Bingo Wizard)

Copy/Paste:
Bingo Game #38 Signups:
1. NurseDave

The person who finishes last will have the most power to pick a prize that suits them.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out as people could have the winning numbers but not be looking that day and some folks just plain give up along the way.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out as people could have the winning numbers but not be looking that day and some folks just plain give up along the way.
Yeah. I may have to prod people along. We’ll see. You never know how a new sort of game will really play out until you’ve tried it and found some of the flaws. I just hope people are willing to give it a shot!

Or Maybe this is more appropriate

1639754826523.gif

Copy/Paste:
Bingo Game #38 Signups:
1. NurseDave
2. Scuttlesoap

Fun theme and prize idea! Looking forward to it!

Copy/Paste:
Bingo Game #38 Signups:
1. NurseDave
2. Scuttlesoap
3. GearNoir

Yeah. I may have to prod people along.
Oh, there will need to be plenty of that…these guys give up easy sometimes 😂
F4D6E7FA-5624-40E2-B08F-4C77C3F343D2.gif

I guess we shall see if I get a broken card again..The 3 crazies named above me Always gave me a busted card.. Will this card at least include batteries this time..;):LOL:

Copy/Paste:
Bingo Game #38 Signups:
1. NurseDave
2. Scuttlesoap
3. GearNoir
4. Jaro1069

Copy/Paste:
Bingo Game #38 Signups:
1. NurseDave
2. Scuttlesoap
3. GearNoir
4. Jaro1069
5. Spider
6. Milkcrate

Copy/Paste:
Bingo Game #38 Signups:
1. NurseDave
2. Scuttlesoap
3. GearNoir
4. Jaro1069
5. Spider
6. Milkcrate
7. Heysi

Welcome Friends to TSC Bingo #38
The hunt for the White Whale

Ahoy! As some of you may remember, I am a Quaker, and while my little sect is often known for its pacifism, campaigning for social justice, and education; it is often forgotten that we were a major force in an environmental horror perpetrated back in the 18th and 19th centuries. American Whalers based out of the Northeast were often run by Quaker financial backers, and many whalers had Quaker captains or mates.

So call me Starbuck (Quaker 1st mate on the Pequod, naturally) and join me on a Nautical Whaling themed bingo game, as we hunt for white whales.

The terms of your voyage contract are as follows:
1. Sign-ups are open starting right now. You may still sign up for up to a week after the game starts (if you want to play catch up). The first call will be on Monday January 3rd, 2022.

2. You must be a TSC member in good standing, with at least 10 meaningful posts. Hopefully this will encourage at least some of our newer members to jump in!

3. Spirited banter is highly encouraged, but be a gentleman in all interactions.

4. Calls will be Standard American Bingo Hall calls, consisting of the Letters: B, I, N, G, or O and their corresponding Numbers: 1-75 (Examples: B2, I18, N42, G55, O69). Numbers found without the corresponding letter are not valid calls.

4a. Exception: there may be puzzles that result in a number only. I will warn players in advance that these are bingo calls.

4b. The random letters in a file name of a photo or GIF will not be a valid call. I don’t want to be double checking the names of every file I upload!

5. There will be at least 3 calls per day, if more than 3 calls are posted the caller will state how many have been or will be posted that day.

Calls will be found in one of EMG06’s posts/activities for the given day, anywhere within the TSC Forum. Remember, if you see a Bingo Number in one of EMG06’s posts it is a call! If an unintentional call was made (and can be proved valid), it will be honored.

Calls may be posted all at once, or throughout the course of any given day. The caller will state when all calls are available for that day.

6. Calls can occur in a variety of ways:

Plain Text calls, typed directly or hidden within a post. Puzzles, Word Games, Photo, video, numeric, code, alternate Languages, audio, encryption, steganography, links to external sources, or graphic representation of calls may be employed.
Calls may be encoded or hidden in puzzles, requiring the player to decode or solve to determine the actual call. (If at any point you are stumped you may contact the caller or another player by PM for help).
There are no time machines on whaling vessels, so I won’t be using the ability to edit old posts to make calls that way.

7. Bingo cards: Each player will receive 1 Card, which will be sent via PM before the game begins unless you sign up after the game begins. I will allow sign-ups to continue during the first week of the game only or until extra cards run out. You may print out your cards, or keep it digital. As calls are received mark them on your cards.

8. Like all good nautical adventures, X marks the spot. To win, you will need the exact X pattern on your card shown on the example below. Once you believe you have a bingo you must type "TSC BINGO" in this thread. The first person to call TSC BINGO wins the game (There are no ties). Then you must submit a photo of your card in this thread, for verification by the caller, before it is official. If it is not a good Bingo, play will resume.
View attachment 70396

9. The winner of this game will receive the following:

The highly coveted Bingo Wizard Badge and bragging rights!

The honor of being the caller of the next Bingo game (to be started within 4 weeks of winning--no bogarting the badge!).

An additional prize may be offered at the discretion of the caller (callers are not required to offer a prize). See below for more on prizes this game.

10. These rules must be posted by the caller before each game, edited for the specifics of their game.

11. If you have any questions, or if any rule needs clarification, let the caller know. The caller has the final say in any questions, disputes, or clarifications regarding calls/rules.

12. Have Fun! Or, Go Crazy! But..... Why Not Both??

Ok, that's the small print. Now here is the important part of this game (well, beyond getting the coveted Bingo Wizard badge bestowed upon you at least)…the prize part!

All players who want to win a prize will get a prize this game. Consider it hazard pay for coming on this perilous journey with me. The first player to call TSC Bingo will win the Bingo Wizard badge. They will also have their first pick of the white whales.

Each subsequent person to post a valid TSC bingo will then get to pick a new whale or steal the whale of somebody who has come before them. So the person who finishes first will be the next bingo Wizard. The person who finishes last will have the most power to pick a prize that suits them. If your prize is taken, you will have the opportunity to pick a new white whale from the depths of the ocean.

Each white whale is a brand new, never before used, shaving soap made by either Barrister and Mann, Declaration Grooming, Noble Otter, or CBL soaps. Because whales are hard to see under the water, I’ll post up a list of some cryptic clues based on the names of the soaps to help you try and figure out what it is you might be getting. The list of prizes/clues will be posted after sign ups have closed (I need a final headcount to know how many prizes to post).

Once a whale is selected it will be crossed off the list and the item and it’s current owner will be posted in the thread so everyone knows what you have and what’s still out there.

At the very end of the game before prizes are shipped, you may decline your final prize or gift it to another player, but please play along with the selection process during the course of play.

Because there is (for once) an advantage to coming in last, I will ask you all to be gentlemanly, accept it when you have won, and announce it in a timely fashion.

This is my first time calling. Will I lead you on a satisfying journey of bingo adventure by creating a game that is destined to be considered an American classic or an obsessive compulsive hunt for a mythical beast that leaves (almost) everybody dead in the waters of the South Pacific?!?!? Only you get to decide that!
Who's ready to set sail for a fun game of bingo?!
Very unique and Awesome Idea!!!

Will this card at least include batteries this time..;):LOL:
Well, no batteries I know of on the Whaling Ship. But remember, you might want the “worst” card this time. Gives you the most power to select which prize you’d like to take home.

Okay...I will try to play along this time!

Copy/Paste:
Bingo Game #38 Signups:
1. NurseDave
2. Scuttlesoap
3. GearNoir
4. Jaro1069
5. Spider
6. Milkcrate
7. Heysi
8. dangerousdon

The person who finishes last will have the most power to pick a prize that suits them.
I guess that’s the rule that makes White Whale different from White Elephant… interesting.

I guess that’s the rule that makes White Whale different from White Elephant… interesting.
Every white elephant I’ve been to allows that, unless the host puts a steal limit on items, like “each item can only be stolen 3 times, the final steal keeps it”.

Every white elephant I’ve been to allows that, unless the host puts a steal limit on items, like “each item can only be stolen 3 times, the final steal keeps it”.
In white elephant, the first person to choose gets the advantage of getting to steal any gift at the end, because they were the only one who never had the option of a steal.

Back