The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BBQ/Grill/Smoker/etc. Cooks

Man oh man. Had to order pizza for dinner cause the meat wasn't done yet. Ended up going for 19 hours. I just finished getting everything cleaned up pulled and put away. Gotta say though, the bites I had for uh... testing purposes, were really good.

Here it is out of the smoker
20200115_015810.jpg

And after pulling it all.
20200115_024208.jpg
20200115_024213.jpg

Wow, that was a long one! The stall can take a loooooong time if you cook it naked the whole time. Looks like it turned out great though!

I hate that when timing doesn't work out. Part of the learning process no doubt, but I always feel like a tool when I'm way off. This year it was the stupid turkey being done an hour before it was supposed to be. Lucked out and with aluminum foil it was still steaming hot when I cut into it.

Timing is definitely hard, particularly on something like a giant bird that you only cook once or twice a year. Better to be done earlier than later though--hungry people can get quite impatient... :ROFLMAO:

Made a couple of things yesterday...

First, NY Strip for dinner. Sous vide + cast iron = :love:

16E2A7E6-5128-4325-BEF8-4006B80ADCC8.jpeg

And homemade apple pie and ice cream for dessert! Pastry skills are continuing to improve. The filling is also pretty tasty/different—has lemon juice and zest, plus a healthy dose of bourbon. Can’t go wrong with that.

F41D862A-B804-4C04-96FB-0568A43EFE49.jpeg
D90956D3-6DE9-4898-9D41-85AC50D06A6E.jpeg

Smoked some loin back ribs for dinner. Hickory smoke, then glazed with some homemade apple jalapeño bbq sauce. Definitely my most successful ribs to date. Tender, but not completely falling apart. Still had a nice bite, which I prefer.

View attachment 14452

I know this is controversial to some...but I would like to point out that in BBQ competition, ribs should not "fall off the bone." When you take a bite from the center of the rib while on the bone, the meat should pull away freely. So it is likely that your ribs were very close to competition tender! Either way...I am pretty sure none of us here would complain if we ate your ribs!

Great thread!

I use a Pittboss Pellet Grill, Vision Kamado, and an Anova Sous Vide.

I love doing briskets, ribs and porkbutts on the slow cookers.

For steaks, nothing beats Sous Vide in my opinion! I use Choice Ribeyes or NY’s from Costco and cook them 132F for 2 hours (only seasoning with salt and pepper).

I’ve also ventured into making my own bbq sauces and rubs. Both of which I sell locally and donate all the money to a Charity I feel strongly about (Seattle Children’s Hospital).

a1e4646901acf298d0e8de4c13bff93a.jpg

1d057d91b75efef531288f358b412ef8.jpg

No pics, but that talk about sous vie (was it here or another thread idr? )and post searing got me thinking about how I cook steaks. I've started cooking them on lower heat in the pan, then doing my special sauce, and finally throwing the meat back in on high for the post sear.
It's making a huge difference.

Rubbed this 6.7lb pork shoulder with Dr. Pepper, brown sugar and BBQ rub last night.

Pulled it out this morning. Injected it with Dr. Pepper and sprinkled some more rub on it.

20200329_064106_HDR.jpg

Fired the smoker up using a mix of cherry and hickory pellets and a pan full of water.

Smoker is running around 235 degrees and putting out some smoke. So I placed the shoulder in there and added a little more rub to the top as I like a good bark on my pork shoulders.

Updates to come as it cooks 😃

Back