The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bath soap of the week....

Stopped in my local Lidl and saw 3 additional bath bars I hadn’t seen before. Ive seen/used the african black soap and really enjoyed it. Big bar about ~$4.

These three are made in france soaps.

Un Coin de Provence $1.30 for 100g
Scents in Olive, Cannele orange, patchouli.

Labels are hard to read but there is definitely some stuff in them. Shea butter, sunflower seed oil, rosemary extract among other ingredients.

View attachment 70140

First up is the patchouli scent
I’ve pretty much finished the patchouli scented soap. On occasion i felt i could smell the namesake scent, but it was much lighter and sweeter than expected. Not bad, but not a need to have.

You cannot beat Stirling Bath Soap for its quality and cost!
No...you really can't!

Most places will charge you A LOT more for a smaller bar. @Joe Hackett gives you a honking 5.5 ounce bar in just about any scent imaginable! Other than the stray bar that I have had previously, I use Stirling bath soaps exclusively right now!

I've been using a Speick bar in the shower lately. Great bar, love the scent.

I find that I burn through Stirling's bar soaps quicker than some others.
Gotta get you a soap saver...something along the lines of one of these. LNHC used to sell them.

1647618449732.png

I've been using a Speick bar in the shower lately. Great bar, love the scent.

I find that I burn through Stirling's bar soaps quicker than some others.

What I like about artisan soaps in general is that I used to have a really bad skin cracking during the winter (even before COVID I washed my hands quite a bit- what can i say - I‘m a germaphobe). It would get so bad that I would have to put a heavy lanolin based cream on them and then socks over my hands to help them heal.

Since switching to artisan hand/bath soaps - I don’t have that issue.

I have had some issues with other artisans - while I haven’t found any that I didn’t love the performance - I have this odd thing where these soaps crack down the middle after some use. It’s bizarre. The first time it happened, I thought it was a fluke - but it happens quite regularly for me with B&M soaps - which I still will keep buying because I love some of their scents - especially the Watermelon Cootie Killer 😂, Shannons Soaps (which I don’t use anymore and will never buy from that vendor again), and sometimes Central Texas Soaps (again - will still keep buying them - Aidan loves their bubble gum soap). Besides them splitting - the soaps perform really well.

Gotta get you a soap saver...something along the lines of one of these.
I have a bath scrubby, if I wanted to go that route. I just prefer the bath bar in my hand on my skin.

Since switching to artisan hand/bath soaps
The majority of what I use is artisan soaps. So far CBL has the longest lasting bar I've used.

I have a bath scrubby, if I wanted to go that route. I just prefer the bath bar in my hand on my skin.

The majority of what I use is artisan soaps. So far CBL has the longest lasting bar I've used.
I love CBL soaps as well! And I have nothing against mass produced soaps - I just have skin issues when I use a lot of them - even Ivory.

one of my local TJ Marshalls is STOCKED with SV bath soaps, i grabbed another half dozen in different scents. aloe vera mineral scrub, lavender, lemon, some others. there was only one i left behind (maybe lily of the valley).
That’s awesome! It is surprising what finds you can obtain at TJ Maxx, Marshall’s etc!

I love that scent! It's my favorite Mystic Water soap.
HA! i remember it was Mughetto, as i had to look it up so i recalled correctly that is. The greenish label on the third shelf from the bottom that was not avocado. pretty sure i grabbed a rose scent

81aMUwbBEtL._SL1500_.jpg

didn't see the translation at the top of the label. doh

Back