The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Shaves & Such

I thoroughly enjoyed today's video Dave, and I think you're right on the mark with your take on homages. In my Intellectual Property class in law school, they made a clear distinction between trade secrets, patents, trademarks, and copyrights. Soaps and fragrances are possible trade secrets, but are not patentable. If someone reverse engineers the formula for Coca Cola, the Coca Cola Company can do nothing about it, so long as the homage is not sold as Coca Cola. Trade secrets have the least protection of any intellectual property. That's why the guy with the table at the flea market can sell fragrances that come right out and say on the label, "Copy of (fragrance name)." One cannot patent a scent or a recipe. That's why I'm excited to eventually discover the source of the Sē'būm clone, er, homage. Well said, sir!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

What do Wet Shaver's do when wanting to become one with your shave.......... Zen Aftershave Yoga of course

Namaste.......[emoji3286]

I made a video of my bottle of Swiss Pitralon, but it wasn't nearly as engrossing.

What is the name of the Fine Accoutrements Aventus homage?

Thanks fDave or the nice detailed review of the Succes Shave soap, Skin Food and EDP. I like that you used the word homage as that’s exactly what my goal was when I started out my journey in developing the scent. I was very fortunate to have bought the very first batch of Creed Aventus which many know was much more Pineapple forward than any batch since the first one and I remember when they came out with the 2nd batch a lot of guys on Basenotes which is a fragrance forum for all us fragrance nuts which I’m admittedly one of the group where very upset with the fact that Creed toned down the Pineapple note. In fact as a side note if you can find an original unopened bottle of the 1st batch they can bring up to $2k as they are very hard to find. I have about a Qtr of a bottle left of my original bottle which I very rarely use. I’m very much into decanting and before the mods over on that other site banned me myself and a feee members would all chip in and buy a Flacon of Aventus and I’d order 4 fragrance bottles with fine mist sprayer which are easy to find and the 4 of us would split the cost and cologne 4 ways and not only did we each get more juice each but what we paid per once was considerably less. Now they offer a 1000 ml bottle which is great when doing a group buy.
Anyway sorry for going off track here so when I began to try and duplicate the original batch I used a combo of naturals and Aroma Chemicals and it honestly took me over a year of tweaking to get it where it is today. I brought a sample of it to the last Maggard Shave meet in the form of a few solid cologne tins I made to pass out to some shaving buddies that I met up with and they all really liked it and encouraged me to come out with some shaving products with the scent in it which is when I made my decision to enter the business of making shaving products. So yes Dave I purposely made it more Pineapple forward and in fact after feedback from my buddies I increased it even more than my original bottle and so that’s when I named the scent Pineapple Noir. So absolutely a homage to Creed Aventus batch one.
it’s funny you also mentioned that duplicates of the scent is readily available from a number of fragrance suppliers from small companies all the way up to giants like IFF. Some hit it better than others as you mentioned and I totally agree. That’s why I started from scratch when making mine and I’ll be the first to say it’s a homage of the original but not a duplicate of the current Aventus.
Up till now it’s been the most popular scent in my line with the Lavender Supreme not far behind. I’ve also been asked to come out with some shower and bath products in the scent which I plan on doing in the very near future.
Just thought I’d give a little history on my inspiration on how it came to be.

Last edited:
Thanks fDave or the nice detailed review of the Succes Shave soap, Skin Food and EDP. I like that you used the word homage as that’s exactly what my goal was when I started out my journey in developing the scent. I was very fortunate to have bought the very first batch of Creed Aventus which many know was much more Pineapple forward than any batch since the first one and I remember when they came out with the 2nd batch a lot of guys on Basenotes which is a fragrance forum for all us fragrance nuts which I’m admittedly one of the group where very upset with the fact that Creed toned down the Pineapple note. In fact as a side note if you can find an original unopened bottle of the 1st batch they can bring up to $2k as they are very hard to find. I have about a Qtr of a bottle left of my original bottle which I very rarely use. I’m very much into decanting and before the mods over on that other site banned me myself and a feee members would all chip in and buy a Flacon of Aventus and I’d order 4 fragrance bottles with fine mist sprayer which are easy to find and the 4 of us would split the cost and cologne 4 ways and not only did we each get more juice each but what we paid per once was considerably less. Now they offer a 1000 ml bottle which is great when doing a group buy.
Anyway sorry for going off track here so when I began to try and duplicate the original batch I used a combo of naturals and Aroma Chemicals and it honestly took me over a year of tweaking to get it where it is today. I brought a sample of it to the last Maggard Shave meet in the form of a few solid cologne tins I made to pass out to some shaving buddies that I met up with and they all really liked it and encouraged me to come out with some shaving products with the scent in it which is when I made my decision to enter the business of making shaving products. So yes Dave I purposely made it more Pineapple forward and in fact after feedback from my buddies I increased it even more than my original bottle and so that’s when I named the scent Pineapple Noir. So absolutely a homage to Creed Aventus batch one.
it’s funny you also mentioned that duplicates of the scent is readily available from a number of fragrance suppliers from small companies all the way up to giants like IFF. Some hit it better than others as you mentioned and I totally agree. That’s why I started from scratch when making mine and I’ll be the first to say it’s a homage of the original but not a duplicate of the current Aventus.
Up till now it’s been the most popular scent in my line with the Lavender Supreme not far behind. I’ve also been asked to come out with some shower and bath products in the scent which I plan on doing in the very near future.
Just thought I’d give a little history on my inspiration on how it came to be.
I like you Frank have one of the original bottles from batch one that I don’t use and do you know batch to batch three batch for have all changed over time but as I said in the video there are two places that I go to if I’m looking for that crate on edge and yours is on top of the list I actually like the pineapple forward just a bit more because the original but yeah it’s fantastic

Thanks Dave and yeah keep that original bottle in a wine cooler I finally sprung for one where I keep all the good stuff. I learned that one when I visited the Creed Boutique in NYC as they said it’s the perfect environment for them and my bathroom or dresser is not. Never knew that.

Back