The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Shaveapalooza

19 July 2021 - Monday's Shave

Blackland Tradere OC / Wizamet (1)
Sorrentino Brushworks GID Barzini / Cashmere Synthetic
CBL Orion Hammam Spa Shave Soap
CBL Hammam Spa Aftershave Tonic
Borotalco Talc
Penhaligon's Savoy Steam EdC

Today's shave is a tribute "Happy Birthday" nod to a Great friend, business partner, and soap making wizard. the story of the "infamous" Orion base is well documented, and IMHO, I still maintain it is the best soap on the planet, again Just my opinion. Hammam Spa was a bespoke request for Chris to come up with a fragrance that matched the 1st gen version of Savoy Steam ( no longer offered ). Thankfully he was able to do, as the current shave offerings from Penhaligon's are non-existent, not to mention the rest of the fragrance line which is anemic at best, and a shadow of the Fragrance maker powerhouse Penhaligon's once used to be. The new version of Savoy Steam is no longer offered in the large 200 ml bottle, and now is 100ml bottle at a higher price point. not to mention the formulary has been altered to a sweeter fragrance to make uni-sex, or I guess in "today's" vernacular "non-binary". Truly Penhaligon's is not only losing ground, but jumping off the cliff, but that conversation is for another time.

The Shave:

The Orion base does require a completely different way of loading and building, however once achieved, you are in lather Nirvana! A synthetic works best for me, with a damp brush load for a bit till you have a wallpaper paste consistency, dip the tips of the brush, load a bit more to begin to see a light lather forming, and then straight to the face. Pasty it will be, but a few more :tip dunks with face lathering and BOOM it just happens. I don't know what sorcery, alchemy, and voodoo @CBLindsay used, but it is wonderful, and the fragrance of the Savoy Steam is spot on and a solid 4 on the SOS scale.

Not much more to add to the Tradere, other than it is a wonderful DE, and gives almost exacting homage to the original. Heavy, smooth, and well balanced. Medium aggressive for an open comb, and actually much less aggressive that the Blackbird Ti. Three-passes today for a perfect DSBBS shave, clean-up was fast an easy with no need for any extra water or soap and finishing off with the Tonic, Talc, and EdC made for a perfect start to the week

The set-up:
ePmjKSol.jpg
Thanks for stopping by and Have a Great day

19 July 2021 - Monday's Shave

Blackland Tradere OC / Wizamet (1)
Sorrentino Brushworks GID Barzini / Cashmere Synthetic
CBL Orion Hammam Spa Shave Soap
CBL Hammam Spa Aftershave Tonic
Borotalco Talc
Penhaligon's Savoy Steam EdC

Today's shave is a tribute "Happy Birthday" nod to a Great friend, business partner, and soap making wizard. the story of the "infamous" Orion base is well documented, and IMHO, I still maintain it is the best soap on the planet, again Just my opinion. Hammam Spa was a bespoke request for Chris to come up with a fragrance that matched the 1st gen version of Savoy Steam ( no longer offered ). Thankfully he was able to do, as the current shave offerings from Penhaligon's are non-existent, not to mention the rest of the fragrance line which is anemic at best, and a shadow of the Fragrance maker powerhouse Penhaligon's once used to be. The new version of Savoy Steam is no longer offered in the large 200 ml bottle, and now is 100ml bottle at a higher price point. not to mention the formulary has been altered to a sweeter fragrance to make uni-sex, or I guess in "today's" vernacular "non-binary". Truly Penhaligon's is not only losing ground, but jumping off the cliff, but that conversation is for another time.

The Shave:

The Orion base does require a completely different way of loading and building, however once achieved, you are in lather Nirvana! A synthetic works best for me, with a damp brush load for a bit till you have a wallpaper paste consistency, dip the tips of the brush, load a bit more to begin to see a light lather forming, and then straight to the face. Pasty it will be, but a few more :tip dunks with face lathering and BOOM it just happens. I don't know what sorcery, alchemy, and voodoo @CBLindsay used, but it is wonderful, and the fragrance of the Savoy Steam is spot on and a solid 4 on the SOS scale.

Not much more to add to the Tradere, other than it is a wonderful DE, and gives almost exacting homage to the original. Heavy, smooth, and well balanced. Medium aggressive for an open comb, and actually much less aggressive that the Blackbird Ti. Three-passes today for a perfect DSBBS shave, clean-up was fast an easy with no need for any extra water or soap and finishing off with the Tonic, Talc, and EdC made for a perfect start to the week

The set-up:
ePmjKSol.jpg
Thanks for stopping by and Have a Great day
Thanks for the Birthday tribute, very happy you are enjoying the Hammam Spa...a great scent for sure.

20 July 2021
Tuesday's Shave

ERN Ator 6/8
Sorrentino Brushworks 2017 Barzini / Tuxedo Synthetic
Ethos Succes Shave soap / Aftershave
Borotalco talc
Ethos Sucess Skin Food Splash
Creed Aventus EdP

Nice 2-pass straight shave today. The Tradere and Wizamet did such a good job, not a bunch to mow down day. With it being the 52nd Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon Landing the graphics of the World brings up what Aldrin, and Armstrong were able to look back at from the Surface of the moon. I remember vividly sitting on my dads lap at 3 yrs old and seeing the wonder in his eyes at what we accomplished in only 10-yrs, and listening to that baritone / monotone voice of Walter Cronkite and Eric Sevareid. An image burned into my mind. I was hooked on everything Aviation and space. I was fortunate that my father was too, and thus started me down the Rabbit hole of Nasa Collectibles both flown, non flown etc. So I guess I can blame my dad and Apollo as my gateway drug to hobbies and collections, LOL

Not much to say about Ethos, but it is about as close a fragrance to Aventus there is and the performance to boot. A bit more Pineapple forward, but wonderful on the skin, nourishing and just good stuff. The ATOR does not get as much love as it should but is a great shaver.

2 passes today and BBS. A spritz of Aventus ( lightly as I am getting low on stock ) and a good day for...... well..... doing.... nothing again!

NeZrscAl.jpg

Thanks for stopping by

21 July 2020
Wednesday's shave

Blackland Blackbird Ti / Wizamet (1)
TSC Anniversary Brush / AMACK Blue Tuxedo Synth
Beehive Crisp Alpine Stream Shave Soap
Ice Blue Aqua Velva Aftershave
Royall Yacht EdT

Another nice shave on the books today. Beehive does not get the attention it deserves both in generak and in my shave rotation. This flavor is an homage to Creed's Silver Mountain Water, another fanstastic fragrance. Easy to load and lather it provided a nice roadway for the Blackbird. As mentioned before this DE is one of my most aggressive, but a smooth shave if paid attention to. Being titanium and so lightweight, it lends itself to putting too much pressure, and that is when it strikes. Being an SR shaver the majority of the time, this razor stumped my for a long bit until I "got the hang of it"

Finished up with a nice cold blast from the classic that is "Ice Blue" and to add to the Mountain Crispness, a bit of Marine with a tremendous geranium not in the Royall Yacht.

SET-UP:

BozU39Cl.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and have a good day

22 July 2021
Thursday's Shave

Genco Easy Aces 5/8
Shavemac Colonia No 1 / 2-band silvetip
Victory Shaving Company Hell's Wench Shave Soap (@Victory~Dale )
Swiss Pitralon Aftershave Splash
Tabac EdC
Proraso Talc / Thayers Cucumber WH / Proraso Alum

A good shave with the latest, and last offering by Dale and Victory Shaving Company, as he sunsets the business, and enters into a much deserved retirement. This is a very unique fragrance with the initial hit to the olfactory to me a Cherry Cider. There is a ton more going on here as the smoke and tobacco enters the arena to give that wonderful pipe fragrance. We are not done as a steaming cup of hot coffee wants to share the show as well.

Finding a match to this complex aroma can be a bit challenging. However, on the Aftershave side the Swiss Pitralon matches very well, and on the advice of @Majorrich finishing up with Tabac is just divine. The shave itself was smooth as expected with the Genco. Very soft on the face but very efficient. 3-passes and DSBBS, with all the normal post shave accoutrements.

SET-UP

OC4kvA2l.jpg

Although we are saying farewell to Victory Shaving Company, as a vendor, it is not good bye. Dale is planning on remaining as an active member here on the TSC. Even though most of his soaps are now unobtanium, most of us who have his whole line, or at least a soap or two, will be able to enjoy shaving with his products for a long time to come, and that is a good thing.

On behalf of myself, the rest of the TSC ownership, and it's members, we sincerely want to THANK Victory Shaving Company for being an ACTIVE Vendor here at the TSC, their support of the TSC, and always being here for the TSC members, making bespoke soaps for the TSC, and just being an all around GREAT Company.. As to Dale..... You will not find a more sincere giving and supportive person.

Dale still has a few items on the website to offer, so please check it out at Victory Shaving Company

Sir, We Salute You, and wish you GodSpeed in your retirement, and look forward to your continued membership and camaraderie.

From, Dave Chris and Chad WE THANK YOU!!

Thanks for stopping by folks

Last edited:
I was sad to read of Victory Soap/ Dale closing up shop. Love, love, love my Flak Bait soap. Enjoyable shave every time I use it.
Will be a little sad when that tin becomes empty.

The Stuff:

bkc1e9bl.jpg

The Shave:
Nice 3 pass shave with the 1805 and the Red Tip DSBBS all the way

Other Ramblings:
Sad due to the surgery, we cannot join our traveling friends @CVargo, @mvargo , @uacowboy @sunnysanity in San Fran to meet and break bread with the one and only @NurseDave . Which really Sucks! We are hoping for a great time to them all. Here on the homefront...same old, same old except for the RAIN. Our monsoon, non-existent last year, is coming back with a Vengeance! Since July 1 we have received over 4 inches of rain, our of only 13 inches we get all year. 2.5 inches was just last night. Flash flood warnings are all over, all of our normal "dry river beds" are running bank to bank and we having another 48-72 hours of this, ground is already saturated, so we , @AvocadoQueen and I are going to escape the ranch and go explore.. 80 in July is a treat and Boy did and do we need the rain, but with the burn scars of all the wild fires , debris flows are a real concern as there is nothing holding the water back. Will snap some pics to share as well

Have a good day Cadre

24 July 2021

The Stuff:

1PtlDez.jpg

The Shave:

A rather cool day here in the High Desert with Rain literally for the last 7-8 hours straight, even a bit foggy. so a Nice London shave with Ian and James today, maybe even a Martini later, Shaken not stirred of course. Floris in all it's variations continued to impress, especially for a British Hard Soap. Beautiful Lather and very nice on the face. Wizamet continues to impress, with yet another new blade in the president. A very smooth 3-pass shave finished up with the 89 aftershave and some Vasilli's of the Edt namesake as well. Woody nutmeg is the star of this one but light enough to wear in the summer.

Other Ramblings:

Not much new...... I have found myself, as @NurseDave put it in a recent video, getting lazy, and reaching for DE's more often than not. Weird for me, LOL Oh Well. Hope everyone is having a good weekend and thanks for stopping by

Back