The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Shaves & Such

Great shave and I am so forward to getting my first two (Jermyn Street & Elite - the latter a recommendation from you)……Next up will definitely include Neroli Voyage and 89! Like I needed to start another subrabbit hole of my original fragrance rabbit hole - this is all your fault!
Don’t forget to get the Elite shave soap so you are matchy matchy!

27 February 2023 - Day #27 of Captivity and the Beginnings of Stockholm Syndrome.... Oh the Humanity
@NurseDave endorsed even with his little arms

I’m Italian and I have a pretty heavy beard, I have a question. After using the Merkur34C for many years, I switched to the 38C. I want to close shave, and was advised I Should go with an adjustable, so I decided to try the progress and the futur.. Adjustables seem to knock the beard off quicker,and easier, but I don’t seem to get a closer shave, or one that lasts longer. I just wondered if you guys had luck with the adjustables, and prefer them over the straight bar..I’m not interested in trying straight razors, I really do like the feeling of a DE shave. BTW, I’m on my second week using SV 70 th anniversary,And it’s spectacular. I never thought I’d spend $51 on shaving soap, but it’s really that good..
I plan on trying the Cubebe next..Dave, You mentioned before he might be able to get me a sample?

Hope all is well, big snowstorm coming Friday here in Michigan

I’m Italian and I have a pretty heavy beard, I have a question. After using the Merkur34C for many years, I switched to the 38C. I want to close shave, and was advised I Should go with an adjustable, so I decided to try the progress and the futur.. Adjustables seem to knock the beard off quicker,and easier, but I don’t seem to get a closer shave, or one that lasts longer. I just wondered if you guys had luck with the adjustables, and prefer them over the straight bar..I’m not interested in trying straight razors, I really do like the feeling of a DE shave. BTW, I’m on my second week using SV 70 th anniversary,And it’s spectacular. I never thought I’d spend $51 on shaving soap, but it’s really that good..
I plan on trying the Cubebe next..Dave, You mentioned before he might be able to get me a sample?

Hope all is well, big snowstorm coming Friday here in Michigan
I have only used a couple of adjustables and have not continued to use them. I would question being advised to use an adjustable simply because of a beard type. It may be good for determining if you prefer a mild or a more aggressive razor, but it's the overall geometry and razor/blade combo that makes a difference. The ability to adjust it has nothing to do with it. A close shave relates to the ability to perform enough passes in enough directions to remove all hair above the surface. Some people have hair growth that can be removed in one or two passes. Mine grows in enough different directions and I have to use three passes to get the smoothest shave possible. So this required I not only find razor and blade combos that I can comfortably use in three passes but also a shaving routine that allowed it as well. i.e. without my post-shave routine and shaving with cold water, my neck would be raw even using my favorite razors. How long a shave lasts really only relates to how fast your hair grows. So unless you're going to do waxing or laser removal, the best you can do is start with a close shave.

I’ve been dealing with Charles from qed@quod.com for many years, and he recommended an adjustable. I never liked the futur ,the progress is much better imho.​

. I’ve been using feathers for many years now exclusively, lately I’ve been trying to focus on my angle keeping the blade at 30° from my face that seems to help a little because I never really gave that a whole lot of attention before. Can you recommend another blade that I should try? Are Merkur blades any good?

I’ve never tried the personna blades before..I’ll try a pack of them next time I order some goodies.
I wanted to ask you if you had any samples of the SV cubebe . I’ve been using the 70 th anniversary line for about two weeks now, and it’s wonderful..After about 20 years of wet shaving, I like the soap better than anything I’ve ever used . I saw on the website they sell sample packs, But the Cubebe is all I’m interested in trying right now. I thought that since you’re a Brand Ambassador you might be able to send me something

I enjoy watching your videos I’ve learned a few things.

I am not a brand Ambassador for SV anymore. You may reach out to @Antonio P at Brand to Markets here in the forum he may be able
To help. The sample program for SV ended some time ago

Ok , I’ll reach out to him..Maggard Razors has Personna blades 100 for $17.. that’s a great deal, and you like them better than feathers?

I have only used a couple of adjustables and have not continued to use them. I would question being advised to use an adjustable simply because of a beard type. It may be good for determining if you prefer a mild or a more aggressive razor, but it's the overall geometry and razor/blade combo that makes a difference. The ability to adjust it has nothing to do with it. A close shave relates to the ability to perform enough passes in enough directions to remove all hair above the surface. Some people have hair growth that can be removed in one or two passes. Mine grows in enough different directions and I have to use three passes to get the smoothest shave possible. So this required I not only find razor and blade combos that I can comfortably use in three passes but also a shaving routine that allowed it as well. i.e. without my post-shave routine and shaving with cold water, my neck would be raw even using my favorite razors. How long a shave lasts really only relates to how fast your hair grows. So unless you're going to do waxing or laser removal, the best you can do is start with a close shave.
Thanks for the detailed answer. I started with a Merkur 34c twenty years ago, And then switchEd to a 38C about 10 years ago..I usually go straight down on my first pass, lather a second time, and then the same..(north south axis). .Maybe doing the second pass across the grain Would help me get a closer shave.. I never did really like the adjustables, I missed the feel of the smooth glide of the de razor.. Barber Dave recommened personna lab blue blades, so they‘ll be here Tuesday,and I’ll see how that goes

Thanks for the detailed answer. I started with a Merkur 34c twenty years ago, And then switchEd to a 38C about 10 years ago..I usually go straight down on my first pass, lather a second time, and then the same..(north south axis). .Maybe doing the second pass across the grain Would help me get a closer shave.. I never did really like the adjustables, I missed the feel of the smooth glide of the de razor.. Barber Dave recommened personna lab blue blades, so they‘ll be here Tuesday,and I’ll see how that goes
Yes, you'll want to do passes in different directions as your hair grows in different directions. If you watch the videos posted in the media sections, you'll see most people do three passes, each in a different direction.

Yes, you'll want to do passes in different directions as your hair grows in different directions. If you watch the videos posted in the media sections, you'll see most people do three passes, each in a different direction.
Use this as a guide. After about 2-3 days of growth print this out, note the direction of growth and determine you pass order and direction. It is assist you

919589791_d31aefb244.jpg

Back