The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Shaves & Such

Fantastic Lather! I think Clown Puke is now vying for the top spot!

Dave nominated Dave and Dave...... not going too far outside your lane, huh?

tenor.png
Yep Name Greatness, LOL

Barber Dave makes his criteria for judging his soaps extremely clear, repeatedly. I respect his opinion because of his extensive experience with literally hundreds of soaps. His water is very different from mine, and his results are different from mine in many cases. I have a set monthly budget for shaving purchases, and I do not exceed it. Some months, I might purchase 7 or 8 soaps within that budget. Some months it might be a razor and a soap. Some months, it might be a single soap or a soap and AS. For example, I plan on getting SV Desert Vetiver and the matching AS. I'm waiting for it to be available domestically to save on shipping. Next month, I'm getting a Fat Boy. I have $15 soaps that compare favorably to $70 soaps. Since I have the set budget, price/performance considerations aren't important because my monthly allowance allows me to experience a wide variety of bases and scents which fall within my budget. This is why I like Dave's ignoring the cost. If I can afford it at all within my budget, the performance and scent are all that matters. For example, following Dave's review of Ethos/CBL lime, I ordered the soap and skin food. That was about half my monthly budget. The amount of soap you get for the price is rather small, and it performs really well *for me*, but I have cheaper soaps that I prefer. But my budget allowed me to try it out. And I'm glad I did. I guess what I'm trying to say is that my monthly budget for shaving items is the price I'm willing to pay to experiment and experience some of the wide variety of soaps/razors/brushes that are available, and some months I get a better deal than others, but I'm willing to risk that amount to chance upon a real gem. I just tried A&E Kaizen, which isn't terribly expensive. Loved the base, hated the scent. So if that soap had cost 4 times as much, I wouldn't be more disappointed, it would just be another data point in my journey of exploration. A&E is closed this week to do reformulations of other scents in the Kaizen base. I'll definitely be trying them out. I wouldn't have tried out the current offering, were it not for Dave's shootout review. So, for me, I find Dave's reviews to be completely valid and helpful to me in choosing new things to explore ( Vector, I'm looking at you) Sorry for this rambling post here Dave, I just wanted to explain why I think your methodology and disclaimers match up so well with my personal system for exploring our mutual hobby.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Barber Dave makes his criteria for judging his soaps extremely clear, repeatedly. I respect his opinion because of his extensive experience with literally hundreds of soaps. His water is very different from mine, and his results are different from mine in many cases. I have a set monthly budget for shaving purchases, and I do not exceed it. Some months, I might purchase 7 or 8 soaps within that budget. Some months it might be a razor and a soap. Some months, it might be a single soap or a soap and AS. For example, I plan on getting SV Desert Vetiver and the matching AS. I'm waiting for it to be available domestically to save on shipping. Next month, I'm getting a Fat Boy. I have $15 soaps that compare favorably to $70 soaps. Since I have the set budget, price/performance considerations aren't important because my monthly allowance allows me to experience a wide variety of bases and scents which fall within my budget. This is why I like Dave's ignoring the cost. If I can afford it at all within my budget, the performance and scent are all that matters. For example, following Dave's review of Ethos/CBL lime, I ordered the soap and skin food. That was about half my monthly budget. The amount of soap you get for the price is rather small, and it performs really well *for me*, but I have cheaper soaps that I prefer. But my budget allowed me to try it out. And I'm glad I did. I guess what I'm trying to say is that my monthly budget for shaving items is the price I'm willing to pay to experiment and experience some of the wide variety of soaps/razors/brushes that are available, and some months I get a better deal than others, but I'm willing to risk that amount to chance upon a real gem. I just tried A&E Kaizen, which isn't terribly expensive. Loved the base, hated the scent. So if that soap had cost 4 times as much, I wouldn't be more disappointed, it would just be another data point in my journey of exploration. A&E is closed this week to do reformulations of other scents in the Kaizen base. I'll definitely be trying them out. I wouldn't have tried out the current offering, were it not for Dave's shootout review. So, for me, I find Dave's reviews to be completely valid and helpful to me in choosing new things to explore ( Vector, I'm looking at you) Sorry for this rambling post here Dave, I just wanted to explain why I think your methodology and disclaimers match up so well with my personal system for exploring our mutual hobby.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks So Much, That is good to hear and always open to suggestions as well Thanks Again

Nice succinct video today Dave. I think the extra water was the slickness difference for you. I noticed when I tried to almost drown the soap, the slickness (what little there was) did come out on the third pass. I too thought the SoS was surprising for a big box store shaving product...quite nice.

Nice succinct video today Dave. I think the extra water was the slickness difference for you. I noticed when I tried to almost drown the soap, the slickness (what little there was) did come out on the third pass. I too thought the SoS was surprising for a big box store shaving product...quite nice.
and some hours later the Endymion was a perfect finish and play well with the Orchid

Kaisen earns its placement and poor MDC gets bottom of the heap :ROFLMAO:

Nice job Dave!

Good video Dave......................I mean it was okay......................no it was good........................well it was okay............. I'll check the numbers. J/K Nicely done (y)

Back