The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Another Shaving Journal

That’s right! Send the boy out into the Siberian wasteland! No need for the king of the castle to make the sacrifice! 😂
Exactly right, my friend.

Seriously, our driveway is steep, and my balance wavers from day to day. Put snow and ice on that driveway and even my adult son puts "YakTrax" (slip-on ice grips) on his shoes. At present, I simply cannot safely do it. Thankfully, he is only glad to help.

• Stirling Soap The Lounge (30)
  • Maggard tuxedo synthetic
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Blackland Vector/Schick Proline (2)
  • CBL Barba AS tonic
So the Barba and a second bottle of California Sunrise arrived yesterday. Today, I used the Barba. I'm struggling to define it: it's a very clean smell, kind of reminds me of a scented baby powder, though it is NOT "powdery", IMO. It reminds me of an upscale cologne that draws you in, rather than clobber you over the head. As I said, I'm struggling to describe it, but I know one thing: I want more of this! @CBLindsay , you have another winner, sir!

Have a great day, Cadre. I say that with some hesitation, because I'm going to have a great one, because I'm wearing Barba, and you're not. So sorry for you. ;)

Barba really is a fantastic scent, one of my personal favorites (right now). It is like English fern...but not. it’s like Rive Gouche or one of the modern duplicates...but not. It’s kinda like the old Barbasol but it’s missing something there too. It’s definitely a clean smell but not a weak one.
I’m happy you are liking it Bruce and I’m really happy you like the tonic. I questioned whether I should make a basic tonic and rely on the apothecary oil to provide the added boost (and trust people would buy both) or if I should make the best every day tonic I could. You can thank @BarberDave and @CVargo for suggesting I go with the best I can make.

Unfortunately an Unscented one would do me well also. As the wife complains about anything scented I wear right now, claiming it will "stuff up the baby." Personally...I think the Danger Baby likes my scented aftershave!
I'd go for a bottle of the unscented, but in the past two weeks I've sprung for three bottles of the tonic. Kind of makes it hard to justify. ;)

• Stirling Soap The Lounge (31)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Blackland Vector/Schick Proline (3)
  • CBL California Sunset AS tonic
Cold sunny day. We're looking at a week of cold nights in the single digits
Fahrenheit. Great shave today, the best all week. Happy Weekend, Cadre!

Ruff pulled out a win with a last second TD. PBXVII is in the books.

• Stirling Soap The Lounge (33)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Blackland Vector/Schick Proline (5)
  • CBL California Sunset AS tonic
The soap is showing strong staying power - 30+ shaves and no doughnut ring yet, though I suspect it's close. Very good lather, day after day. I'm getting spoiled with all these nice shaves I've been getting. The CBL AS tonic performs and smells great, though it can trigger an asthma attack for my wife. The first hour seems to be the riskiest for her; after an hour it does not bother her, and I can still enjoy the aroma for a couple of hours.

Back