The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A Wild West Pomade Roundup!

I'm getting towards the bottom of my tub of Billy Jealousy, so I ordered more. Truth be told, I liked the containers, so I ordered some Rumble 59 water based. Even if the product doesn't work well, the containers are pretty cool in my opinion.

I'll post reviews after I have a chance to use them a few times.

Those are pretty cool! I have to admit, I am a sucker for a nifty pomade jar. That's one reason why I never got into Murray's, the packaging just doesn't do it for me.

Fire and Brimstone Heavy Hold by Lockhart's Authentic

I am a sucker for a nice seasonal release, and Lockhart's really did a terrific job with their Fire & Brimstone line. This is their Heavy Hold petro-based pomade, which I bought last October, and it is still going strong.

The scent out of the jar is like a punch in the face, in the best possible way. It has a deep, burning incense smell, which is smoky and alluring all at once. The actual product is also blood red, which adds to the experience. It scoops out easily, and takes a few seconds of vigorous hand rubbing to break down for application. It goes in like you would expect a heavy petro to do, with some moderate tackiness as you spread it through. The initial comb styling is not too difficult, despite some initial grabbiness. After a few strokes of the comb and some hand smoothing, I can walk out the door with everything locked down. Takes me about 5-10 minutes, depending on how wet or dry my hair was when I began. Basically, drier hair takes a bit longer to style than slightly damp hair, so I prefer to towel dry before I use this product.

As for how it wears throughout the day, it is a monster! Nothing ever comes close to falling out of place, unless I happen to brush my head against the roof of the car, or if I change shirts or put on a hat. And if I do need to restyle, a simple comb-through does the trick. The shine is relatively tame, just on the high side of medium. And of course the scent lasts almost the entire day, so if you worry about it competing with your daily fragrance, keep that in mind when picking your splash or EdT. I like to wear this on its own, or paired with B&M Fougere Gothique.

As a true petro-based pomade, you will need to have patience in removing it. 3 shampoos will almost get rid of it, but you will still have some residue. You can cut this down to 2 shampoos if you employ something like Aussie 3 Minute Miracle to degrease before the first shampoo. I like to do a single shampoo and them reapply the next day, but that’s just me.

Final grades:

EASE OF APPLICATION: 3/5
STRENGTH OF SCENT: 5/5
SLICKNESS (EASE OF STYLING): 4/5
HOLD: 4.5/5 (HEAVY)
SOFTNESS: 4/5
SHINE: 4/5
LONGEVITY: 5/5
EASE OF REMOVAL: 2/5 (THREE SHAMPOOS/DEGREASING)

With a total score of 4/5, this is a terrific pomade on its own, and even better for the Halloween season. You can order it directly from the manufacturer for $14.00

P.S. I picked up several seasonals for this year, including the Monster Mash 2018 releases from Lockhart's, The Classics, and Pomps Not Dead. Keep an eye out for more reviews soon!

Good stuff Jim! The scent sounds like it is up my alley, but I'm not much of petro guy.

I'm getting towards the bottom of my tub of Billy Jealousy, so I ordered more. Truth be told, I liked the containers, so I ordered some Rumble 59 water based. Even if the product doesn't work well, the containers are pretty cool in my opinion.

I'll post reviews after I have a chance to use them a few times.

That artwork is pretty awesome! Yeah I would buy just because of that!

Fire and Brimstone Heavy Hold by Lockhart's Authentic

I am a sucker for a nice seasonal release, and Lockhart's really did a terrific job with their Fire & Brimstone line. This is their Heavy Hold petro-based pomade, which I bought last October, and it is still going strong.

The scent out of the jar is like a punch in the face, in the best possible way. It has a deep, burning incense smell, which is smoky and alluring all at once. The actual product is also blood red, which adds to the experience. It scoops out easily, and takes a few seconds of vigorous hand rubbing to break down for application. It goes in like you would expect a heavy petro to do, with some moderate tackiness as you spread it through. The initial comb styling is not too difficult, despite some initial grabbiness. After a few strokes of the comb and some hand smoothing, I can walk out the door with everything locked down. Takes me about 5-10 minutes, depending on how wet or dry my hair was when I began. Basically, drier hair takes a bit longer to style than slightly damp hair, so I prefer to towel dry before I use this product.

As for how it wears throughout the day, it is a monster! Nothing ever comes close to falling out of place, unless I happen to brush my head against the roof of the car, or if I change shirts or put on a hat. And if I do need to restyle, a simple comb-through does the trick. The shine is relatively tame, just on the high side of medium. And of course the scent lasts almost the entire day, so if you worry about it competing with your daily fragrance, keep that in mind when picking your splash or EdT. I like to wear this on its own, or paired with B&M Fougere Gothique.

As a true petro-based pomade, you will need to have patience in removing it. 3 shampoos will almost get rid of it, but you will still have some residue. You can cut this down to 2 shampoos if you employ something like Aussie 3 Minute Miracle to degrease before the first shampoo. I like to do a single shampoo and them reapply the next day, but that’s just me.

Final grades:

EASE OF APPLICATION: 3/5
STRENGTH OF SCENT: 5/5
SLICKNESS (EASE OF STYLING): 4/5
HOLD: 4.5/5 (HEAVY)
SHINE: 4/5
LONGEVITY: 5/5
EASE OF REMOVAL: 2/5 (THREE SHAMPOOS/DEGREASING)

With a total score of 4/5, this is a terrific pomade on its own, and even better for the Halloween season. You can order it directly from the manufacturer for $14.00

P.S. I picked up several seasonals for this year, including the Monster Mash 2018 releases from Lockhart's, The Classics, and Pomps Not Dead. Keep an eye out for more reviews soon!

Sounds awesome! Is the product good about it not spreading onto other things, like hats? If I were to leave it in overnight would it make a mess and of my pillow?

Sounds awesome! Is the product good about it not spreading onto other things, like hats? If I were to leave it in overnight would it make a mess and of my pillow?

I can't say it has even been an issue. It doesn't smear off like some oilier pomades.

Here is my Halloween Pomade Mail Call for this year!

Clockwise from the bottom left:

Lockhart's Authentic Nevermore Hi-Volume Matte Paste
Lockhart's Authentic Monster Mash 2018 EZ-Wash Oil Based
Pomps Not Dead Monster Mash 2018 Oil Based
The Classics Monster Mash 2018 Wax Based

There are some terrific scents in these jars, as well as a variety of textures and performance. I will be trying to review them throughout the next few days.

Lockhart’s Authentic Nevermore Matte Paste

As I have said before, I am a sucker for seasonal scents, and Halloween releases always get my juices flowing. Nevermore is a collaboration between Lockhart’s and https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ-xy4iDP_M7h9nXFTxGnEg. Obviously it is inspired by Poe’s “The Raven”. The scent notes are definitely classy and complex:

Top : lemon verbena, pineapple, bergamot
Mid : rose, jasmine, orris, patchouli
Base : sandalwood, oakmoss, amber, ambroxan, vanilla

The scent out of the jar nice and strong. The product has a very creamy consistency with thin peaks, much like marshmallow fluff. It scoops out easily and breaks down effortlessly. It does give some feedback as I apply it to towel-dried hair, but no reall tugging or discomfort. It combs in with a little effort, and the style takes hold quickly. I used it for my normal slick-back, but if you use a blow dryer during application the product is supposed to offer some impressive volume and texture. Once dried in place, there is a true matte finish, and the product remains soft and supple. This makes restyling a breeze, much like my favorite unorthodox water based products.

The hold is firm, and it wears very well throughout the day for me. It never relaxed too much, so I had no problems with loose hairs flopping down as the day went on.

This is a water based/water soluble product, and I noticed almost all of it came out with an initial rinse in the shower. Using shampoo just guarantees full removal. This ease of removal could play a factor in hot weather with excessive perspiration, so I would keep this firmly in the cold weather category.

Final grades:

EASE OF APPLICATION: 4/5
STRENGTH OF SCENT: 4/5
SLICKNESS (EASE OF STYLING): 3.5/5
HOLD: 4/5 (FIRM)
SHINE: 1/5
LONGEVITY: 4/5
EASE OF REMOVAL: 5/5 (WATER RINSE/MINIMAL SHAMPOO)

With a total score of 3.75/5, this was a delightful surprise. There is still some available from the manufacturer for $19.00

Okay...now I'm off to THB to look for that!

By the way...in support of my barber, she sells Reuzel products, I'm rocking Reuzel Red Pomade.

Glad to see this got moved to the General Grooming Forum! I just got a haircut and will be working in the office one day a week, so I have a few new products to showcase.

27 APR 02.png

Been using this stuff this stuff this week! A nice hold...but leaves hair pretty natural feeling. No shine if that is your things!

1662132131103.png

Back