The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A Wild West Pomade Roundup!

I realized I forgot to report back!

So the Dove Men + Care: Manipulating Putty did OK. The scent is typical hair salon/Dove kind of “unscented”/salon fresh. It was very neutral.

The styling worked well initially, but it’s pretty much a “set it, then don’t touch it” product. If you start messing with it later, even for a minor touch up with a moist hand, it starts to lose composure a bit. Mess with it more than that and you’re SOL. It is a slightly noticeable product, in that it does look like you are using product (it has a dull shine to it and does clump the hair a bit) but looks far more natural than a gel.

This is the strongest hold pomade product from Dove that I could locate on the shelf and I’d put it on par with a medium hold gel. The only advantage a gel might have is the ability to readjust a little later in the day without need for more product. For instance, I can do this with the max hold Tre’semme gel, even to where the following day all I have to do in the morning is run my wet hands through my hair and I’m good to go. One application of that gel product lasts me 2 days.

Overall it’s an OK product for a box store shelf. Probably no where near the level of pomades Jim has his hands on.

It would do in a pinch, but I’d not buy it again.

I've had some issues with the site working properly on my everyday computer at work, so I apologize for going dark for so long. I should have some more stuff posted soon. Thanks for the info on the Dove, Chris!

Well, well, well! Suavecito Premium Blend is in the house and I am putting it through the paces. Hope to have a detailed review sooner rather than later, Don!

Well, after my last attempt at using the pomade, I haven't done so again. But I got my hair cut a couple days ago and broke out of my antisocial shell enough to talk to the guy about my hair. (I really hate getting my hair cut because it's just you sitting captive with this other person) My doesn't seem to lay down like it used to and seeing the top of my head on video now, it looks like it's thinning up there. My thought being I don't have the weight to hold things down like I used to. To which he replied "that's why you need product". He recommended Paul Mitchell shaping cream, but they stopped carrying it. So he used some 2nd choice Paul Mitchell tea tree something or other. It was pretty darn sticky to put in, but worked fine, but smelled pretty strongly of tea tree oil! Now I like the scent, but in the mornings I'll be using other scents and don't want to smell like tea tree oil every day. So the shaping cream is out because it's part of the same line.

So I started using my Black Ship pomade I got because of this thread. I still REALLY hate how stiff it is to put in and hard to wash off the hands, but it's working fine. I use just a little and it's keeping things down and it's not crunchy or anything. I'd still like to find something that is easier to apply and matte finish and not crunchy, but until then I'll keep using this.

Well, after my last attempt at using the pomade, I haven't done so again. But I got my hair cut a couple days ago and broke out of my antisocial shell enough to talk to the guy about my hair. (I really hate getting my hair cut because it's just you sitting captive with this other person) My doesn't seem to lay down like it used to and seeing the top of my head on video now, it looks like it's thinning up there. My thought being I don't have the weight to hold things down like I used to. To which he replied "that's why you need product". He recommended Paul Mitchell shaping cream, but they stopped carrying it. So he used some 2nd choice Paul Mitchell tea tree something or other. It was pretty darn sticky to put in, but worked fine, but smelled pretty strongly of tea tree oil! Now I like the scent, but in the mornings I'll be using other scents and don't want to smell like tea tree oil every day. So the shaping cream is out because it's part of the same line.

So I started using my Black Ship pomade I got because of this thread. I still REALLY hate how stiff it is to put in and hard to wash off the hands, but it's working fine. I use just a little and it's keeping things down and it's not crunchy or anything. I'd still like to find something that is easier to apply and matte finish and not crunchy, but until then I'll keep using this.

I need to give my full review of the Suavecito Premium Blend, but I think it may be right up your alley.

I need to give my full review of the Suavecito Premium Blend, but I think it may be right up your alley.

I think Jim may be right. And I think a lot of places in Cali carry the stuff. If you use a small bit of it in some damp hair...it might be what you are looking for. Super easy to wash out also!

Well if two out of two cadre members recommend it, that’s pretty good. I stopped by my favorite store for things like this and they said they would bring it to me Tuesday, no extra charge.

I think so. I don’t see it on the label, but it was titled premium. Is this it?

Premium Blends by Suavecito

This pomade was introduced to me by the fine gentlemen of this forum, particularly dangerousdon. It also caught my attention because it is an Unorthodox Water Based pomade, which seems to be the kind of product that works best for me on these hot and humid summer days.

The product is full of natural oils like coconut, jojoba seed, and lavender oil. Nevertheless, it is still water soluble. There is a light, natural scent to the product in the jar, reminiscent of lip balm to my nose. The product page describes it as a lavender scent, but I don’t pick up much lavender, and whatever scent is present is very light, and disappears quickly once applied. The pomade itself is very soft in the jar, and scoops out super easily. If you apply it to damp hair, it goes in almost effortlessly. If you apply it to dry hair you can feel a little more pull, but it is never uncomfortable. Either way, styling with a comb is extremely easy. I can adjust the hold by how much product I apply. I never really get the same “lockdown” slick-back that some of the stronger products give me, but I always get decent hold and control for a relaxed look. My hair tends to relax a little throughout the day, especially if it is humid and I start to sweat. This pomade never lets things get too loose, however, and it stays soft and pliable for easy restyling. It cleans off my hands with a dry rag, followed by soap and water before drying. It also washed out with a single shampoo. If I want to keep a touch of hold the following day, I can rinse my hair with just water, and some of the hold will remain in the buildup.

Final grades:

EASE OF APPLICATION: 5/5
STRENGTH OF SCENT: 1/5
SLICKNESS (EASE OF STYLING): 5/5
HOLD: 3/5 (MEDIUM)
SOFTNESS: 5/5
SHINE: 3/5
LONGEVITY: 3/5
EASE OF REMOVAL: 4/5 (ONE SHAMPOO)
With a total score of 4/5, this is a great everyday product for when I don’t want to worry about my hair. It is something I think everyone should have in their pomade arsenal. You can order it directly from the manufacturer for $14.00.

Excellent review of the Suavecito Premium Blend! Pretty much agree with everything you said! I was informed recently that Sally's will be carrying it also. Don't know if that is nation wide ornot though.

I've been fairly absent from the Cadre for a while. Before my activity slowed, I started using some pomade type hair products mostly because of this thread. I was getting a subscription box for a couple of months and got a few samples of hair product. Some of them were ok. There isn't much available to me locally and I hesitate to buy stuff online. One of the first pomades I bought was a water-based pomade by Billy Jealousy. There's an Ulta store about 30 miles from me and that was one of the few they had. I actually really like it.

It's a yellowish green gel that is a little thinner than vaseline. I can't nail down the scent, but it's not too strong. There is a bit of pull depending on how wet my hair is when I apply. I towel dry my hair and rub a bit of product between my palms. When my hair is a bit too dry there is some pull. It's easily fixed by dampening my fingers and rubbing them through my hair. I have straight hair with a cowlick in the front and back. This pomade is strong enough to hold them in place. It even does well when my hair is super short (3/4" on top). My hair stays in place all day. I only have to restyle if I give in to my habit of interlacing my fingers with my hands on top of my head. Restyles easy with just my fingertips. It leaves my hair shiny without looking greasy. It washes out completely in one shampoo. Eventually I'll try some other products, but for now I'm content.

Please take my ratings as an estimate as I haven't tried very many products. I would have tried more if I wasn't so happy with this one.

EASE OF APPLICATION: 5/5
STRENGTH OF SCENT: 2/5
EASE OF STYLING: 5/5
HOLD: 3/5
SOFTNESS: 4/5
SHINE: 4/5
LONGEVITY: 4/5
EASE OF REMOVAL: 5/5

Thanks for the great review, sir! I have been hoping that others would chime in with their experiences and opinions on different products.

Thanks for the great review, sir! I have been hoping that others would chime in with their experiences and opinions on different products.

Well I am still rocking the Suavecito Premium Blend. But the local place I was picking it up again won't be carrying any longer. They are switching to something else and I will likely give it a try after this tin is gone. But basically they said they are ditching it because of exclusivity. They said that Sally's Beauty Supply is picking up Suavecito. I don't know if this is accurate or not.

Well I am still rocking the Suavecito Premium Blend. But the local place I was picking it up again won't be carrying any longer. They are switching to something else and I will likely give it a try after this tin is gone. But basically they said they are ditching it because of exclusivity. They said that Sally's Beauty Supply is picking up Suavecito. I don't know if this is accurate or not.

That's a bummer, man. I know tha getting it from Amazon Prime is both quick and cheap, but it's so much easier when you can get it in person.

I certainly haven't seen it in any stores around here.

That's a bummer, man. I know tha getting it from Amazon Prime is both quick and cheap, but it's so much easier when you can get it in person.

I certainly haven't seen it in any stores around here.

It's no biggie. I like it enough...but I am not tied to it. When I run out of my stuff...I'll check their stuff out. If I don't like it then I will go back to the Suavecito. I just like to purchase local if I can!

Yesterday I broke out a seasonal from last year, which was Lockharts Fire & Brimstone. I reviewed it originally on the "other" site, and I think I need to post new reviews over here. Hopefully I can get some together soon.

I'm getting towards the bottom of my tub of Billy Jealousy, so I ordered more. Truth be told, I liked the containers, so I ordered some Rumble 59 water based. Even if the product doesn't work well, the containers are pretty cool in my opinion.

I'll post reviews after I have a chance to use them a few times.

Back