The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A Wild West Pomade Roundup!

WildWest74

Could be John Wayne
One of the biggest things this community has gotten me into, besides all the shaving necessities, is the value and performance of a good pomade!

Since I have gotten deep into this rabbit hole, I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread, where I can share my impressions of the pomades I am trying, and where we can all commiserate over our fashionable hair styling regimens. I don't purport to be an expert, but I know enough to know what I like, what works for me, and perhaps make suggestions for folks who need them.

Black Ship Heavy Water Based by Flagship Pomades

I found this pomade while researching unorthodox water based pomade, and it had gotten some great reviews. Traditional water based pomades usually work well for me and keep my hair locked in place. However, like a gel, they tend to dry out and can feel "crunchy" later in the day. This is not always a bad thing, but sometimes I like my hair to stay soft. This is where OWBs (unorthodox water based) come in. Usually they have a mix of waxes and oils, even petrolatum, that prevent them from ever drying out like TWBs (traditional water based). They also still wash out fairly easily with a single shampoo, while some leave a little buildup.

In the jar, this pomade looks like soft clay, and is grey in color with a light scent called Dark and Stormy. It is reminiscent of dark rum and ginger beer. The maker offers other scents, but not all are in stock. It scoops out very easily, almost crumbly and creamy at the same time. It breaks down easily in the hands, and is easy to apply to the hair with almost no pulling. It is very slick for such a dry looking product. The hold itself feel more like a medium firm. I could not keep a full slick-back under control, but for a side-swept style it is virtually perfect. There is very little shine, so my hair never looks greasy, and the hold does not diminish throughout the day. Because it stays soft and slick, restyling any flyaways is extremely easy. The pomade comes out for me with a single shampoo, using Head & Shoulders 2-in-1.

To grade this pomade, I will use the following categories:

EASE OF APPLICATION: 4.5/5
STRENGTH OF SCENT: 1.5/5
SLICKNESS (EASE OF STYLING): 5/5
HOLD: 3.5/5 (MEDIUM FIRM)
SOFTNESS: 4.5/5
SHINE: 2/5
LONGEVITY: 4/5
EASE OF REMOVAL: 4/5 (SINGLE SHAMPOO)

I rate the overall appeal of this pomade as a 4/5 for my intended use. It is becoming a daily favorite of mine. I purchased from Pomade Club for $18 with free shipping, and it arrived in 2 business days.

That's my first review. Feel free to chime in, Gents!

I am looking forward to reading this thread. Currently I use Suave Groom and Clean with great results. I do own a few other pomades but I always reach for the G&C

Me too! Looking forward to reading I mean.

Good review!

I tried pomades for a little while, but they were the cheaper, drugstore kind so they’d work only part of the day and then get all waxy and flaky on me. Sometimes they wouldn’t work at all, as my hair only gets more manageable when it’s a bit longer (goes from wiry Asian hair to more smooth European...go genes).

...so I switched to cheaper, drugstore gel, lol!

I am looking forward to reading this thread. Currently I use Suave Groom and Clean with great results. I do own a few other pomades but I always reach for the G&C

Actually, I will probably try that one out just for some baseline comparison for the less expensive products. I will also cover some other products for removing the heavier petro based pomades.

Actually, I will probably try that one out just for some baseline comparison for the less expensive products. I will also cover some other products for removing the heavier petro based pomades.
Back in the day, my grandpa used to wash his hands with gas when they were really greasy from working on the car. Just throwing that out there.

Will be reading too ... I went through this Pomade exercise last year, tried several ... my current go to is Layrite Matte Cream ... works great in my hair, easy to apply, easy to wash out.

That is actually one of my biggest concerns. This needs to be able to be washed out with regular shampoo and water. Need I go over the great pomade disaster of 2016.

I was going through the pomade kick back in 2016 and I had a nice sample of VooDoo I believe. It was a wax or something. Let's just say NOT water based. Now my hair looked great. But when I was showering trying to wash it out. Disaster struck! I could NOT get it out. I shampooed 3x and nothing. Finally I hollered for my wife who is standing outside the shower on Google trying to find ways to wash it out. She read olive oil mixed with dawn dish soap. Well we have both those products. So she grabbed a travel tube and did a 50 50 mixture and handed it to me. That is when disaster struck. SO SLICK! Now I am in the shower with a glass door, and slippery as all get out. I fell multiple times, I couldn't stand up, and I have water beaded all over my body because of the olive oil. And my wife is laying on the floor outside of the shower laughing hysterically! I was about to the point of grabbing the scissors and clippers to remove the pomade. It took 3 days to get that crap out of my hair! And still to this day my wife still laughs about it. So after that I am strictly water based pomade only!

That is actually one of my biggest concerns. This needs to be able to be washed out with regular shampoo and water. Need I go over the great pomade disaster of 2016.

I was going through the pomade kick back in 2016 and I had a nice sample of VooDoo I believe. It was a wax or something. Let's just say NOT water based. Now my hair looked great. But when I was showering trying to wash it out. Disaster struck! I could NOT get it out. I shampooed 3x and nothing. Finally I hollered for my wife who is standing outside the shower on Google trying to find ways to wash it out. She read olive oil mixed with dawn dish soap. Well we have both those products. So she grabbed a travel tube and did a 50 50 mixture and handed it to me. That is when disaster struck. SO SLICK! Now I am in the shower with a glass door, and slippery as all get out. I fell multiple times, I couldn't stand up, and I have water beaded all over my body because of the olive oil. And my wife is laying on the floor outside of the shower laughing hysterically! I was about to the point of grabbing the scissors and clippers to remove the pomade. It took 3 days to get that crap out of my hair! And still to this day my wife still laughs about it. So after that I am strictly water based pomade only!

Well, after that story I have to let you in on my secret weapon, which allows me to enjoy my petro based pomades with no worries when it comes to removal:

This stuff really is a miracle! Apply this to your hair BEFORE your shower. Just rub it in there, and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then shower and shampoo. This will get almost any pomade out, in my experience. Best of all, it only costs around $3 at most stores (Target, Walmart, etc.).

I don't care who ya are, that there is funny!

Now that right there is a classic story, Chad! I'll second Jim's recommendation on the 3-minute miracle conditioner. Gets Voodoo Brew out no issues.

Great thread Jim...will be following!

Thank you for the info. I got a pomade sample in a subscription box the other day. The sample is Blind Barber 90 Proof Pomade. I used it for the first time this morning and liked it. I can't give much of a review since this is the first pomade I've used. I don't know much about the different types of pomade, but would be interested in seeing more reviews.

The funny thing is Chad, most of us have a story similar to this...you are just the only one to admit it.
1f61b.png

Thanks for the review Jim and I am looking forward to your other reviews. I hope to see Suavecito Premium Blends on there. I started out using a variety of pomades and ended up with Suavecito Firme. It left your hair a little "crispy" and "wet" looking, but at the time I had a hairstyle conducive to the attributes of the Firme. I changed up my hair style and tried the Premium Blends line of Suavecito and I haven't looked back. Much like your Holy Black, it's a great value for a pomade that isn't in the store, and a better value than some of the ones that are. Made up mostly of natural oils and waxes...this stuff makes my hair look good all day long and washes easily out in the evening.

Look forward to more Jim!

Just FYI, a tried and true way to get oil based or even thicker water based Pomades out, is reasonably simple and very inexpensive. Recommended for a once a week build up removal, or any oil based pomade removal. Simply take a tablespoon of Olive oil and massage through the hair and let sit for 5 minutes. Then take dawn dish washing soap ( yes I said dawn...If it is good enough for duck feathers...) and massage into hair. Wet hair in shower, re-lather, rinse, and follow with regular shampoo and conditioner. Your hair will feel great

I've been there too Chad ...only it wasn't olive oil. Your Olive oil fiasco sounds very similar to my laundry soap debacle. I'll bet a good laundry detergent would remove a stubborn pomade.

I had to switch from dollar store gel to resolve a persistent dandruff issue, the first thing i grabbed was Groom n Clean. The smell is somewhat nostalgic and it worked well but I didn't like how the scent would burst forward whenever i got hot, it also got a little sticky if I was outside and my head sweated. I tried an early version of WSP's hair balm, it works but was hard to apply. WSP eventually decided to sell a whipped hair balm, much easier to apply and it worked ok. I totally dig the Nostalgic Ghost Town Barber (waterbased) and use it regularly. When The Holy Black had a $5 pomade sale back in December I got two different ones, a matt and regular shine. I really like the regular shine but the matt feels too stiff and dirty. From what i can tell the matt is the same base as the regular with added clay, which explains the feel. The regular doesn't really have a scent while the matt smells like the clay, similar to but not the same as a ladies night cream (I'm think of that pink stuff my grandma used to use "oil of old lady"...but i could be wrong). Then scent doesn't linger or project.

I have stayed away from oil based pomades so most of mine wash out easy enough. The matt THB and both versions of WSP are the hardest to wash out and only require a second washing to remove. I have been making my own hair and body shampoo bars for a while now and they do a good job of washing away any pomade or oils I have in my hair. I purposefully make them so they strip the hair which means I need to use conditioner most days, although I alternate conditioner, hair tonic with an extra dribble of glycerine and castor oil & an oil based hair tonic.

I should caution y'all, I think the pomade's turned my hair grey. I am more salt than pepper now and I blame the pomade.

Ok guys, so am I reading that anything I get to keep my stray hairs in place will leave a residue that will take at minimum a few washes to get out?

Ok guys, so am I reading that anything I get to keep my stray hairs in place will leave a residue that will take at minimum a few washes to get out?
I have some CREW superhold gel that holds like superglue but washes out as if it was never their. If you apply it to wet hair you get the old helmet head, but you can comb through it after its hardened and have a more natural look with a similar hold. I picked it up cheap and would probably consider paying full price when this tube is gone.

I forgot to mention BrylCreem, I tried the current store version and it worked ok but made my head and face oily ...and didn't hold so much as it coaxed hair into behaving. I switch the English version in the red tub (buy on line or in mexico) and found that it smelled better and had much less oil, still a soft hold but it worked when my hair was cut shorter.

Back