The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A Wild West Pomade Roundup!

Ok guys, so am I reading that anything I get to keep my stray hairs in place will leave a residue that will take at minimum a few washes to get out?
No, I use the Suavecitio Firme, Old Spice Spiffy, and Duke Cannon News Anchor. All of them wash out very easily. The Suavectio and Duke Cannon have much better hold than the Old Spice.

Looks like I have some things to try out.

Thanks for checking this stuff out, guys! I was waylayed with a foot injury, and unable to get in to the office or fire up the laptop at home, so I missed replying on the day of some of your comments.

Don, I was definitely intrigued by the Suavecito Premium Blends, and if I get a new pomade any time soon that will definitely be on my short list.

Dave's suggestion of how to apply the olive oil first and then use dish soap in the shower is actually a very effective method. I think that is what Chad was trying to accomplish, but ended up mixing them both at once, thus the slippery mess in the shower. For me, once I discovered the 3 Minute Miracle it has been a big time saver for me.

Chris, I also have used two different THB pomades, the Matte Clay and the Supermax. I will be posting full reviews, but you are not kidding about the stiffness of the Matte Clay.

Ok guys, so am I reading that anything I get to keep my stray hairs in place will leave a residue that will take at minimum a few washes to get out?

So, as others have mentioned there are several products that will wash out with a single shampoo. It's just a matter of finding something that gives the level of hold you want with the performance and softness you prefer. Hopefully my reviews will give some good info.

Don, I was definitely intrigued by the Suavecito Premium Blends, and if I get a new pomade any time soon that will definitely be on my short list.

Good to hear. If you do...check out their Ebay Store...cheaper prices and free shipping on any order.

So, as others have mentioned there are several products that will wash out with a single shampoo. It's just a matter of finding something that gives the level of hold you want with the performance and softness you prefer. Hopefully my reviews will give some good info.
Well watch your step and carry on brother. I just need minimal hold. I've never used product, so just trying to keep things a touch neater than usual. And I know I won't use anything that doesn't wash out with one wash of normal shampoo and don't want crunchy or shiny hair. You know, something magical that keeps my hair from flying away, but acts like it's not there.

Super Water Based by Nostalgic Grooming

This pomade came to my attention when it was released in collaboration with Chiseled Face Groomatorium, and it was available in the delightful scent of Ghost Town Barber! That alone was enough to make me pull the trigger sight-unseen. I ended up discovering how good an Unorthodox Water Based pomade could be, and this eventually opened the door to Petro Based (PB) pomades for me.

In the jar, this pomade is very firm and waxy. The scent is nice and strong! This was a limited edition in the Ghost Town Barber scent, but the pomade is available in other scents like Barbershop, either directly from the maker or from some other retail sites.. To get the product out of the jar, I need to use the back of my thumbnail to scoop it out, as it is very firm. I use about a quarter sized dollop when I am going for a full slick-back. It takes a little bit, but when you build up the heat by rubbing your hands the pomade starts to break down from super waxy to soft enough to apply to your hair. I recommend applying this to towel-dried hair versus completely dry hair, because if your hair is too dry there will be some tugging as you style it. There is a decent amount of slickness as you apply, and it helps get things locked down for me pretty quickly. . There is a medium shine, but not enough to look super greasy. The hold stays nice and strong for the day, and it is very easy to restyle as needed using just a comb. It does not get fry or crunchy. The scent can linger throughout the first several hours, but never seems to overpower any other fragrance I am wearing. This pomade may start to lose hold in high heat and humidity, but once you return to a climate controlled environment everything will firm up again. After a single shampoo using Head & Shoulders 2-in-1 there is usually some buildup, which can be useful for a day when I want some control without fully locking everything in place. A second shampoo usually removes the remainder of the product.

To grade this pomade, I will use the following categories:

EASE OF APPLICATION: 3.52/5
STRENGTH OF SCENT: 3/5
SLICKNESS (EASE OF STYLING): 4/5
HOLD: 4/5 (FIRM)
SOFTNESS: 4/5
SHINE: 3.5/5
LONGEVITY: 4/5
EASE OF REMOVAL: 3/5 (TWO SHAMPOOS)

I rate the overall appeal of this pomade as a 4/5 for days when I want a good slick back and don't mind the extra work getting it applied and styled. I purchased mine from Groomatorium, but it can also be purchased directly from Nostalgic Grooming for $17.00 plus shipping.

Just as I was going to pull the trigger and try Suavecitio, I saw the Aventus scent of Black Ship was back in stock. It's on its way now.

Nice review Jim! I just pulled the trigger on a couple of Nostalgic pomades, already having the GTB version in medium. I went ahead with the Fruit Scoops and Moon Paste to give me a little variety on scent. I'm finding that with the GTB version, I'll still get whiffs of it 8-10 hours after application.

The Moon Paste is supposed to be an easier scooping version of their water base...looking forward to seeing how it compares.

Scent notes on the Moon Paste: "A smooth cologne blend of amber, bergamot, cedar, leather, neroli, and vetiver … We call it Cosmic Cologne because we are nerds."

The fruit scoops is supposed to smell like fruit loops...

Both are classed as medium hold pomades, with the Moon Paste being a matte finish.

The stuff I use would fit this bill perfectly. I use Prospector's Iron Ore. It is a water based firm hold that always washes out first try. It was a completely different consistency than I am used to, so it took me a while to figure out how best to apply it, but it is great. The days that I don't want hard or shiny hair, I just run my hand through it after it is dry and it just looks like my normal hair, but where I want it.

I'm new to this. I got the Black Ship yesterday and gave it a try. Now, this is the first hair product I've used since a brief stint with a pump bottle of green gel stuff in high school. The product was super hard. It was pulled away from the side of the container so I didn't know if it had dried out somehow or that's how it usually is. I scraped some off with my thumb nail and put it in my palm. I thought it would warm and almost melt as I worked it between my palms, but it stayed pretty darn sticky to the point I couldn't slide my hands back and forth. Figured it wasn't going to loosen up and more, so I worked it through my hair the best I could. I will say, after some combing it did work in well. There wasn't any shine and other than my hair being a little more compressed than usual, it didn't look like anything was there. Did wash my hand three times and still felt like there was product on it. An hour later and things are in place, but not crunchy at all. My hair is pretty soft, and I can feel there's something on it, but I imagine you can't get away from that 100%.

I don't have experience with that product, but with other water based products, I generally smear it into one palm, then wet my finger tips and rub my hands together. The added moisture really helps it get slick.

I don't have experience with that product, but with other water based products, I generally smear it into one palm, then wet my finger tips and rub my hands together. The added moisture really helps it get slick.
That makes sense. Thanks!

I'm new to this. I got the Black Ship yesterday and gave it a try. Now, this is the first hair product I've used since a brief stint with a pump bottle of green gel stuff in high school. The product was super hard. It was pulled away from the side of the container so I didn't know if it had dried out somehow or that's how it usually is. I scraped some off with my thumb nail and put it in my palm. I thought it would warm and almost melt as I worked it between my palms, but it stayed pretty darn sticky to the point I couldn't slide my hands back and forth. Figured it wasn't going to loosen up and more, so I worked it through my hair the best I could. I will say, after some combing it did work in well. There wasn't any shine and other than my hair being a little more compressed than usual, it didn't look like anything was there. Did wash my hand three times and still felt like there was product on it. An hour later and things are in place, but not crunchy at all. My hair is pretty soft, and I can feel there's something on it, but I imagine you can't get away from that 100%.

Sounds about right, this product comes out kind of dry and crumbly, and it doesn't really melt, per se, but the performance you describe is spot on. As for getting the pomade off your hands, I keep a Holy Black shop rag in my pomade drawer and just use that to wipe my hands off, but any coarser wash rag should do the trick. It's especially great with petro based pomades.

Pomps Not Dead Original by Pomps Not Dead

In my search for a medium hold petro based or UWB pomade, I was told to check out Pomps Not Dead Original.

In the jar, this pomade has the most manly, inviting scent. Clean and cologne-like without being aggressive and overpowering. The maker's website calls the scent Coconut/Coolwater. I cannot detect any coconut, but coolwater is a good descriptor. It is very smooth in the tin, and scoops out super easily. It breaks down in my hands like butter, and goes in with no tugging or pulling. Styling is ridiculously slick and easy. I use it on towel-dried hair, but it also works very good on fully dry hair. The hold is on the lighter side of medium for me. It does a great job keeping my side-swipe in place, and I can sometimes get it moderately slicked back, but my thick and wavy hair likes to fight so I end up having to restyle a few times throughout the day. On the plus side, there is very little added shine, and it feels almost weightless in my hair, so you can barely tell there is any product in there except for the increased control. This is one that I have grabbed almost every day since I started using it, except when I wanted to go for the locked-down slicked back look. Since it is a petro base, a single shampoo will not fully remove the product, but the buildup is minimal, unless you decide to degrease using Aussie or your preferred degreasing method. It takes between 2 and 3 shampoos to remove every trace of the pomade, depending on how many days in a row it has been applied or how much you used in your hair.

Final grades:

EASE OF APPLICATION: 5/5
STRENGTH OF SCENT: 3/5
SLICKNESS (EASE OF STYLING): 5/5
HOLD: 2/5 (LIGHT MEDIUM)
SOFTNESS: 5/5
SHINE: 2/5
LONGEVITY: 3/5
EASE OF REMOVAL: 3/5 (TWO SHAMPOOS)

Although the total score for this pomade would be 3/5, I still find it great for day-to-day usage, and it will feature heavily in my rotation. I found it through Amazon Prime, but it is also available direct from the manufacturer for just $14.00

It’s been a while since I’ve used any pomades, but I was inspired to pick one up since my usual gel was running low. Starting simple with some Dove Men+Care Manipulating Putty. My hair is pretty stubborn, even when trained, this is supposed to be their strong hold stuff.

I’ll report on it Tuesday when I use it for work.

Back