The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Yuma Razor Pass around

Sorry guys for the delay...last week of the month is always busy for me at work, but end of January might have been the worst yet. I was going into work early and then coming home late. When I did shave I needed to go with a known entity. But Monday I will get a good shave in with the Yuma and report back forthwith!

Okay guys...first shave in the books. Here is what I wrote in my Journal about it...

First impressions are that it is light and small. It might not be Travel tech small...but it's not far off either. Planned on doing a two pass shave today to save a bit of time...but ended up doing a four passer. I had a bout a three day growth beard and with each pass of the razor I was reducing the beard, just in very small increments. I went with 2x WtG, and then XtG, and AtG. I ended up with a better than damn fine shave. I will test this guy out tomorrow to what he does after just a day of growth.

I'll have more thoughts latter as I am pressed for time...but today's shave was interesting. With the three days of beard growth I am wondering what a sharper blade would do in this razor. It is obviously super mild...and a Feather might wack down this thick stubble in no time! Like I said...more to come in a bit!

Looks like a good first outing. Look forward to the rest of your shaves with it.

I just acquired my very own Yuma, so I’m out of the pass. Thanks!

1. uacowboy ( done )
2. gvw755 (done)
3. dangerousdon (in possession)
4. dmshaver (on deck)
5. SteveChuckFrank (in the hole)

1. uacowboy ( done )
2. gvw755 (done)
3. dangerousdon (in possession)
4. dmshaver (on deck)

just don't forget to post your thoughts on it in here anyway

Party Pooper!

Second shave with the Yuma. Better today than yesterday...not that yesterday was bad. Here are the nuts and bolts from my journal...

Grabbed the Yuma razor again and set out for a wonderful shave. Some things I really appreciate about this razor are: I love the hexagonal shaped handle with the engraved and raised design on the handle. This allows me to grip the razor even when my hands are slippery and wet. I even appreciate the squared off end of the groove roll on the bottom of the razor. This also adds to the grip.

So this morning I did not have the three days of growth that I did last time. And to tell you the truth...the shave really felt much the same. I really feel like it tugs a bit on long strokes. I know this should be the function of the blade...but I don't think so. But on shorter strokes...this razor performs nicely. Mild is a bit of an understatement, but that is what this razor is...mild. But it's really a care free shave that I would be hard pressed to be able to inflict any serious damage to my face and neck.

Okay...last shave in the books on the Yuma and I will try my best to get the razor out to dmshaver in the mail tomorrow!

My thoughts are that this little guy is a much better shaver than I expected. I might not want it as my daily driver, but for the occasional change-up or more likely a travel razor...this guy will get the job done! I am very happy with the results. I thought the lightness of the razor would be an issue...it was not. The way the razor is designed also maximizes grip. It's a mild razor and so I would use a sharper blade. I am interested on how the Feather or Nacet works in that David! Anyway...thanks KY Dave for letting us try out your razor. I'll get it cleaned up and sent out forthwith!

Thanks Don ! I know Dave has another he is doing so may not be in a hurry, but knowing your schedule try to get it out soon even if he as to wait to get to reviewing it. Thanks man

It'll be a while before I can use mine, but I do want top comment on how incredibly light it is. I knew it was light, but you just cannot prepare yourself for how light it actually is in person. I have plastic razors that are heavier than the Yuma. It's crazy light!

Yuma razor is on its way to dmshaver. Thanks again Dave for letting us try out this great razor!

1. uacowboy ( done)
2. gvw755 (done)
3. dangerousdon (Done and Sent)
4. dmshaver (In the mail - on deck)

Updated List

1. uacowboy ( done)
2. gvw755 (done)
3. dangerousdon (Done )
4. dmshaver (In hand for testing)
5. SteveChuckFrank (on deck)

First shave with the Yuma this morning. Only have about 18 hours of growth as I shaved yesterday early afternoon. To echo what others have said, this razor is light. I'm not impressed with the build quality or appearance, this is an inexpensive razor. But if you have a Ferrari engine in a Pinto, who cares what it looks like! The handle is shorter, 2 13/16", compared to a more standard length 3 1/8" handle. Out of curiosity, I grabbed a few razors to weigh compared to the Yuma. Here's the weight comparison (all razors weighed without a blade):

Yuma - 26.2 g
Fat Handle Tech - 48.5 g
Red Tip - 66.3 g
Travel Tech - 41.8 g
Schick G1 injector - 29.8 g
Schick Krona - 37.7 g
Fatip Grande - 67.3 g
Brass Colonial General - 130 g

As you can see, the Yuma is even lighter than the Travel Tech!

Overall the shave was fine. It's a different animal shaving with a light razor. I'm tempted to apply pressure because I'm thinking how else is it going to cut, it's so light my whiskers might create enough drag to prevent the Yuma from sliding down my cheek. Using an elite soap such as CBL lets the razor overcome the drag of my whiskers & creates a wonderfully smooth, slick shaving surface. I refrain from applying pressure & get a satisfactory, very mild shave using a new Nacet blade. I can certainly hear my whiskers getting cut.

This is interesting to shave with, but I'm not rushing out to search the interweb for one. I prefer some weight in my hands when I shave. Speaking of which, the handle is nice, good feel in my hands. But overall, I feel as though I have less control of it because of its extremely light weight. But who knows what shave 2 will reveal. I recently participated in the brass General pass around & after shave 1 I said I was underwhelmed with the General, then subsequent shaves I loved & now I've purchased a brass General. LOL!

This razor certainly needs a sharp blade like the Nacet I used. If you go with a mild blade, in this mild razor, you'll be getting a 7 pass with buffing CCS! I've got a good 3 pass shave to start my day. Thank you Dave in Ky for letting us try your Yuma, much appreciated!

Yup, superlight! I also weighed mine. I'm curious if I might actually be able to find any of my razors that are lighter.... including my plastic ones! LOL

In case you like the look shape of the handle but want a heavier razor. The merkur I think 1904 is a close looking copy. This yuma will go to one of the users that is interested in keeping it as it was a spare.

Back