The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Yuma Razor Pass around

Dave in KY

Shave Newbie
If you want to try it just copy and paste an updated list with your name on it. When pass around gets thru everyone, Those that are interested in it can make it known and will be added to the drawing for who will get to keep it. At that point whoever is the last to test it will ship it to the winner. Please take time to post your thoughts on the razor here and a video is even better.

1. uacowboy (razor shipped)
2. gvw755 (on deck)
3. dangerousdon (in the hole)
4. dmshaver
5. Spider

I’ll give this a shot.

1. uacowboy (razor shipped)
2. gvw755 (on deck)
4. dmshaver
5. Spider
6. SteveChuckFrank

Nice first entry and a video to boot. Thanks Kyle

If anyone wants to join the pass around , just copy and paste what's below and add your name to it.

1. uacowboy (In Hand and Testing )
2. gvw755 (on deck)
4. dmshaver
5. Spider
6. SteveChuckFrank

Second shave went well today, This time with a Voskhod blade. Even better end result. I plan to use the Yuma through the weekend and will pass it along around Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Got my 4th and final shave in this morning. I very much enjoyed test driving this razor. It paired really well with the Voskhod for me. I am curious to see if others have any trouble getting the blade to sit evenly in the razor but I did get that worked out for the last 2 shaves. Only real downside for me was how light it is. It is very easy to let it fool you into using more pressure than you should but at the same time it is still mild enough, at least to me, that you don't end up paying for it to bad.

I look forward to reading what everyone else thinks of it as it makes its way around.

Nice entries and thoughts Kyle. Thanks for the video and reviews !

If anyone wants to join the pass around , just copy and paste what's below and add your name to it.

1. uacowboy ( preparing to ship )
2. gvw755 (awaiting razor)
3. dangerousdon (on deck)
4. dmshaver (in the hole)
5. Spider
6. SteveChuckFrank

Okay, the Yuma just arrived from somewhere in AZ and so this is the updated list:

1. uacowboy ( done )
2. gvw755 (in hand)
3. dangerousdon (on deck)
4. dmshaver (in the hole)
5. Spider
6. SteveChuckFrank

One thing I immediately noticed as I got it (and had to dig around):

Razor on the left is my cheap Chinese Long Feng razor, so not only are the Chinese producing cheap clones of cheap Gillette Tech razors, but they are producing cheap clones of cheap vintage German razors. Personally, I thought Baili produced a great Tech clone and so I might also try a side by side with the Long Feng and the Yuma (I remember the Long Feng to be a pretty decent shaver.

That's pretty interesting. is the handle on the Long Feng hollow as well?

The light bulb just turned on - It's a Long Feng because of the long handle! ;-)

Yes, the handle is also hollow, but is capped on the bottom and not open like the Yuma.

Yuma first shave - first of all, the Yuma is extremely light. I have a lot of experience with light razors, having a bunch of vintage bakelites, however I also have this thing about metal razors needing to have some weight. The Yuma hardly has any. Okay, so I got past that real quick and got ready for my first shave.

As with all new (to me) razors, I loaded a blade that was a couple of shaves away from being tossed. I do this mainly so that all the faults and quirks of the razor immediately comes out. First thing I found out is that the razor is loud. It was probably because it was so light and because the handle was hollow and not capped at the bottom. My usual thing to do with auditory feedback is to ride the cap more until the noise goes away. In the case of the Yuma, the noise never went away. At no time did I think it was due to blade chatter because the head did secure the blade well.

WTG pass went well after I adjusted a little and found a good angle. I am a big time cap rider and so it was good that the angle worked. After the ATG pass, I fund more stubble than I wanted to find, however after a touch up that was closer to an XTG pass, I did end up with a near BBS.

I never noticed the blade alignment problem that Kyle mentioned, but then again I usually don't check and don't really care because it really is not an issue if you ride the cap severely like I do.

Tomorrow I will probably load a newer blade and see how that goes, now that I know the razor better. If all goes well, maybe I will do a shave with half my face using the Yuma and the other half the Long Feng.

Back