The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Words of wisd..... Yeah right.... We all know better than that!

Had 5 days of growth to get rid of tonight, so I went with a Gem MMOC. That took care of it pretty quickly. Still trying to use the last of the RR sandalwood. It's one of RR's better performing formulas. Whips up a great lather with the Semogue 1250.

Homefront is ok. Eye is getting better. Still a little red, but no pain or running anymore. Downside is that whatever was in there messed up my contact also. That was the last pair that I had and my glasses prescription is 17 years old. They aren't quite right anymore.... o_O

Glad the eye is getting better...but hope you can get a set of contacts soon!

I was getting caught up and enjoying the read ...until I ran across the eye picture, could have gone without that one. I’m kinda sensitive about my eyes.

I hope you can get new contacts soon. I know my vision changes every year and it's hard to read or see things up close without my specs!

Not much going on. Shaves are a little boring. Still trying to finish that tub of RR. If I was trying to stretch it, it would be gone by now. Funny how that works.

Homefront is about the same. Waiting on the bodyshop and insurance for the car, and the eye is cleared up. Contact exam Tues. so looking forward to that.

Work is good. Slow day today. Only did the hour meter reading for the PM sheets, and changed one of the hour meters that was screwed up. So I took the opportunity to play around with the machines a bit more. Took the piece of brass rod that I use on the tobacco cutters and turned it to clean it up then milled the blade slot in it for two of them that I am working on. Took about an hour overall, but it would take me about 8 hours to do them both with a file like I was doing. So that was a good day for sure.

And I even managed to grab you guys a couple pics.

Don't know about the handles yet. I'm still so far behind with stuff, new stuff still coming in, and trying to build a new forge, it's going to be quite a while before I even think of anything new.

I did take my Tech2 out last night for a go. Had a Nacet blade in it that I have no clue how long it's been in there. That and a bit too much pressure gave me a slight bit of irritation, but nothing too major. I put a new Feather in it after the shave for the next time. I think the mildness was throwing me off a little causing me to push more.
Still trying to finish that stinking tub of RR......

It looks like I may be getting some OT at work. Going in Sat. to change some sheaves on the blower pully, but the plant may be going on 9 hours for a while. That will help out for sure.

Was slow the other day so I took an old roll that we were scrapping and cut the endplates and bearings off making it into a piece of 6 inc thin walled pipe basically. Then I welded up a base out of 1 inch by 2 inch solid steel bar and welded it to one end of the pipe to make a new quench tank. The vertical orientation will give me more room for longer blades like kitchen knives, and since the base weighs around 70 pounds, I won't have to worry about it tipping over.

Also, my new (to me) ride is here!!!!!!

Nice update Shawn. That tank looks like it should work well for you and for that matter so should the car!

Good stuff already today Shawn! Nothing like a new set of wheels to enjoy!

Love your last couple of updates Shawn! Seems like things are starting to come together for you!

Well........ Let's try this one more time. Got this whole long post typed out and the page wigged out on me and didn't even save a draft......... Practice I guess.

No update yesterday because we lost power about 3pm due to a power pole catching fire down the road. It didn't come back on until around 1:30am.
Shave updates, I finally finished that tub of RR I was working on. Just in time too because my Cadre brush and package arrived. Shaved with it, the CBL, and a Gem that night. Definitely wasn't disappointed. The next shave was the Cadre brush again, a nice little Copper King straight, and some LNHC. Again, definitely not disappointed.
Last night there was no shave as I couldn't even take a shower. Living in the sticks, no power=no water.

20190402_205127.jpg

Work has been going good. Staying busy. I managed to get a few pics for you guys of a part I've been working on. Took a solid piece of round stock and needed to drill a hole in it to be able to run a boring bar through. The drill chuck was too small to hold the drill bit that I needed properly however.

20190401_122509.jpg

So I used the taper sleeves and mounted the drill directly into the "little" drill press and drilled a hole in the center of the round stock.

20190401_121450.jpg

20190401_121445.jpg

A drill bit this size really throws off some gnarly chips.

20190401_122410.jpg

20190401_121734.jpg

Back