The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What's Your New Brush?

You never know what the finished product will be until the lathe stops turning
1f60e.png

This is very true. There can be awesomeness or blandness hidden beneath the outer part of a blank. Though that's in the eye of the beholder. I have yet to see anything uncovered while a piece is on the lathe that I haven't loved. Maybe it's the newness of turning for me, but if it is I hope I never get jaded.

Thanks to a fellow Cadre member who steered me to Whipped Dog, I have a 24mm High Mountain badger brush in an ivory resin handle. I wanted a bit more backbone so Larry drilled & set the knot 3mm deeper than the normal depth of 10mm. Here's a couple of pics before the initial breaking in lather, & then one of the initial lather.

Your pics make it look tiny. To me at least. I guess the handle reminds me of the Wee Scot, so my brain is telling me it's small.

Your pics make it look tiny. To me at least. I guess the handle reminds me of the Wee Scot, so my brain is telling me it's small.

Here's a picture of it beside my Rudy Vey brush. The Whipped Dog is on the right. It is a bulb knot & my Rudy Vey is a fan knot. I put my new Aristocrat Jr. in the foreground for some perspective.

Very nice. I have both RV and WD, and can't complain about either. The ivory finish is looking good too, I may have to add one to my collection at some point.

Great pick-up Dave!!! I've been looking at those lime green Paladin's as well, but already have a Jade one in the den.

Great pick-up Dave!!! I've been looking at those lime green Paladin's as well, but already have a Jade one in the den.
Thanks Josh. The Jade is still there tempting me as well as 2 of thesePK-47 28 mm Butterscotch have been there since the last drop.Has my interest because of the loft and free loft both being 54mm. I like the look although not exciting enough to pull the trigger...........................trying to exercise restraint at least at some level.

I’m a little late in finding this thread, but those are some great looking blanks and brushes! I can’t keep up with you guys, but I did score these.

Back