The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What's the deal with SV?

NurseDave said:
if they were a soft soap I'd send you samples of each. How one would do that with a hard soap I'm not sure.

Doesn't work well. I recall a while back there was a piece of SV in a passaround box. I cut some off, and tried to lather it, and it didn't work out. I thought the soap was just inferior, until reading more posts about it later.

Also, does anybody know who might carry the whole line? Every dealer I visit is missing one of the few I'm interested in, and I'd rather just place one order to save shipping.

Bullgoose is the only place that carries the Flying Mango soap as it was a special thing in the asylum line for them. the rest I got from sv directly or maggards.

DocHoliday0831 said:
Bullgoose is the only place that carries the Flying Mango soap as it was a special thing in the asylum line for them. the rest I got from sv directly or maggards.

Maggards and Bullgoose are two places I looked, but both are missing one I might want. I might just order from SV, if I ever figure out what I want.

Maggard should be back in stock for what they are missing shortly, as they have most likely placed a sizeable order when Opuntia came out. They are slow to get new releases from SV, but I would imagine when they do receive that, the remaining soaps / AS's they are out of currently will be restocked.

So here are the three I'm looking at right now. I'll probably narrow it down to two before I order. Can you all help me with the scents of them? What do they smell like to you?

Felce Aromatica
Mirto di Sardegna
70th Anniversary

I don't own any of those, HOWEVER, based off smelling them at Pasteurs and what people have said this is what you could probably expect...

Felce Aromatica: a true fougere, similar to MdC fougere but stronger SoS from what I understand.
Mirto di Sardegna: Not sure, but Chad sure seems to think it smells like Tumbleweed. (just like Stella Alpina, which is citrus and basil, with woody undertones...a BEAUTIFUL scent)
70th Anniversary: This is a classic Italian Colonia...think Acqua di Gio or Acqua di Parma Colonia and mash them up. Bright citrus flavor.

KJ,
It is about educating yourself on those note and the evolution of them in the soap as you lather and shave. I for one think that they are one of the only companies that gives all the notes so you can see what is in them. No one else does. As to the Final scent profile, I can only offer what my nose gets, yours may be different but I will try. a Perfect example is Chris H and myself regarding Mirto de Sardgenia. He gets it being very much like Stella Alpina, where as I get a completely different scent. So much of this depends on you.

I can say they are purely Italian, and as such much of the openings are Citrus and floral. In my opinion NO-ONE does shaving like the Italians. It is not even close. As to the performance you need to spend time with them,m but they are so easy to lather and perform the best to me

So here goes ( and these are just my impressions of the final overall scent )

Flying Mango (fruity, salty) - my least favorite
Felce Aromatica - picture a not sweet version of English Fern, with more woodiness
Dolomiti - Spicy, cold, think of granite, rock, mud ( has Dolomite Silk in it)
Manna di Sicilia - Also a bit spicy, more earth, leaves, barks,
Tundra Artica - Oud and Berries, with a bit of snow
70th - Citrus cologny, Think Acqua Di Parma on steriods ( makes your face feel living and breathing)
Mirto di Sardgenia - Bright floral, spicy, creamy
Stella Alpina -Spicy, cold, citrus, Heavy Woods
Opuntia -Pineapple, Opens like Avenus, Prickly pear fruit, light woods ( currenltly my favorite )
Cosmo - Deep Spicy, almost a decaying note ( but in a good way ) Dark and soothing tons of wood

Well I hope that helps, and if I missed one let me know, I was doing this off the cuff and did not go into the den

Xenostr8shaver said:
KJ,
It is about educating yourself on those note and the evolution of them in the soap as you lather and shave. I for one think that they are one of the only companies that gives all the notes so you can see what is in them. No one else does. As to the Final scent profile, I can only offer what my nose gets, yours may be different but I will try. a Perfect example is Chris H and myself regarding Mirto de Sardgenia. He gets it being very much like Stella Alpina, where as I get a completely different scent. So much of this depends on you.

I can say they are purely Italian, and as such much of the openings are Citrus and floral. In my opinion NO-ONE does shaving like the Italians. It is not even close. As to the performance you need to spend time with them,m but they are so easy to lather and perform the best to me

So here goes ( and these are just my impressions of the final overall scent )

Flying Mango (fruity, salty) - my least favorite
Felce Aromatica - picture a not sweet version of English Fern, with more woodiness
Dolomiti - Spicy, cold, think of granite, rock, mud ( has Dolomite Silk in it)
Manna di Sicilia - Also a bit spicy, more earth, leaves, barks,
Tundra Artica - Oud and Berries, with a bit of snow
70th - Citrus cologny, Think Acqua Di Parma on steriods ( makes your face feel living and breathing)
Mirto di Sardgenia - Bright floral, spicy, creamy
Stella Alpina -Spicy, cold, citrus, Heavy Woods, Tumbleweed
Opuntia -Pineapple, Opens like Avenus, Prickly pear fruit, light woods ( currenltly my favorite )
Cosmo - Deep Spicy, almost a decaying note ( but in a good way ) Dark and soothing tons of wood

Well I hope that helps, and if I missed one let me know, I was doing this off the cuff and did not go into the den

FTFY

Me Pleasure.... to enable and Muddy...... We are all mad here

DocHoliday0831 said:
Now I NEED Felce Aromatica!!!!!
Might I suggest a nice Penhaligon's English Fern to go along with that?

Back