The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What's the deal with SV?

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
Saponificio Varesino? I can't even pronounce it. Except every time I see it written out, I think someone has butchered my last name again [Vezino].

So a lot of you rave about this soap, so what's the deal?

First of all, I have a very hard time spending a lot of money on a soap. I mean, I do have MdC, both original and Fougere, but I did not pay full price for them. They perform well, but I get just as good or even better performance and value from my favorite artisans.

The artisan soaps that I treasure, perform extremely well, and I can't imagine anything performing leaps and bounds above them. So how is SV different? What sets it apart?

And what gives Beta 4.0, Beta 4.3 ..... why are all the soaps in beta? Are they ever going to stick to a formula? That drives me crazy. I want a known formula that a maker sticks with. If I like a soap, and get a new scent, I like to know what I'm getting. The only soap more confusing than SV in this regard is RazoRock. And I refuse to buy anything from RR's soap line for that reason.

So, why do you SV?

I'll caveat this by saying I only have 2 of their soaps. My first one was Stella Alpina, and to be truthfully honest KJ, the scent is just absolutely wonderful on it, causing me to purchase Tundra Artica. Performance wise, they are about on par with Stirling, for me, out here, if I lather like I normally do (bowl). The difference for me is when I face lather with them. The lather almost rivals DG and WK...but, I'm not going to go out and buy their entire line. I do plan on buying a few more of their scents, but not the entire line-up.

Bottom line: the scent profiles are about as enjoyable, and unique, as you can get, strong (for those who enjoy good SoS), and performance can be right up there with the best available. Owning one for a "treat" shave wouldn't be a bad idea. Plus these pucks will last forever, so like MdC, the cost per shave is a lot lower than the initial cost would indicate.

Idk what makes them different but I can personally say they are. I only have 4 but the only Grail worthy shaves I have ever gotten have been from these and the Chiseled Face soaps.

To stay in my collection, a soap needs to perform AND smell good. SV seems to hit the nail on the head with complex scents every time. And performance for me is top of the line. To me, a truly high performing soap has so much residual slickness, you could forgo lathering for the 3rd pass and just run a wet hand over your face to spread what is still remaining around. SV is able to do that. I don't have the experience many do here, but I've been through a ton of soaps and SV stays in the den.

SV hooked me with the scents, but the increasingly excellent performance of the soaps and aftershaves keeps me coming back for more. I think the Beta is there because he is always striving to improve his products, and hasn't achieved perfection. Though the 4.3 is about as close to it as any shaving soap I've ever used. It is as good, or better, than any shaving soap I've ever used, in every category.

Dagwoodz said:
Performance wise, they are about on par with Stirling, for me,
NurseDave said:
To me, a truly high performing soap has so much residual slickness, you could forgo lathering for the 3rd pass and just run a wet hand over your face to spread what is still remaining around.
That residual slickness, is how I measure soaps. That's why I stick up for Williams so much, because it is absolute tops when it comes to slickness. Artisan wise, Mystic Water and Stirling are the pinnacle for me when it comes to slickness. Nothing I have tried so far compares to those. If you all say it's up there, maybe it's worth a try.

NurseDave said:
SV seems to hit the nail on the head with complex scents every time.
That's another thing that concerns me. I like to know what I'm dealing with, and usually prefer scents that aren't too complex and convoluted to be able to tell what is in them. Maybe I'm just simple in that regard.

Do you need SV? The answer is no. Is it a great performing soap? Yes it is. Is there a large difference between beta 4.0, 4.1 ,4.2 and 4.3. The answer is no. I think beta is just a bad translation on there part from italian to english honestly because the differences between them all is barely noticeable, I could be wrong though.

If you like green scents then I would say get the Felce Aromatica in the tin, I am sure you would really like it. If you like creed style scents then apparently try the new Opuntia. If you like classic italian scents go for the 70th anniversary.

You can find a good deal I am sure one day on BST and jump on it.

Also when Dave logs in this evening this thread will make his head explode LOL.

Cvargo said:
Do you need SV? The answer is YES!

Also when Dave logs in this evening this thread will make his head explode LOL.

FTFY

And I’m looking forward to seeing what Dave does say if he’s even able to type.

I only have one Saponificio Varesino shaving soap(that might get me banned by Dave. "I only have one"), the 70th Anniversary soap. When I first got it, the lather seemed very airy and light. I didn't understand the hype. After I discovered the SV instructions for lathering their soap, well, WOW! Since it's a triple milled soap and I usually use American artisan shaving soap, so I think I just wasn't getting enough soap loaded.

KJ, I actually just dug out my tin of SV 70th Anniversary out again(it was in tote #2 in the basement) last week after listening to the guys around here rave about it. It had been a couple of months since I used it. I'd forgotten how nice this soap smells and performs. Honestly, 5 out of the last 7 days shaves have been SV 70th Anniversary shaving soap and Blackland Blackbird DE razor. And, it's only Beta 4.1!

Yes, you need to at least try it, VEZ! I do use a lot of American artisan soaps: Mike's, Mystic Water, Barrister and Mann, Wet Shaving Products, and etc. I really like SV, too!

Chad is now an enemy of the State. PERIOD You DO need SV. Bias as heck admitedly, but with over 400 soaps in the den and having tried at least that many it is to me the finest soap ever made. Triple Milled so the cost over time is cheap, the customer Service by Alessandro and his crew is top notch, they have been in the business since 1945 and produce 7500 tons of soap a year and have been the top laundry soap producer, luxury soap producer and skin care products in Italy for years.

As to the scent they may seem complex however the fragrance pyramid us clearly noted on the SV site. they are masters at combing all these items to make the perfect shave soap.

As to the Betas, Alessandro is obsessed with making it better, constantly, and to utilize the finest NATURAL ingredients into the product. So not only do they perform like no other, smell like no other, but they are the best for your skin.

As to what had said, he is correct, although CRAZY, you do not need it, but if you don't try it at least, you are doing yourself a disservice and might as well go back to cartridges and goop, LOL ( just kidding )

It IS that good.

What is also truly unique is how this quality and performance extends to all products such as razors, brushes, bowls, skin care products, and so forth, I have pretty much the entire line across all products, and if..... IF this was the only product I could ever use. I would do so gladly.

Chad you are officially Banned from the Super Secret Saponifico Varesino Fan Club, LOL

I will say this. I appreciate Chad for being honest. The rest of you are just a bunch of dirty, dirty enablers!
1f602.png

Guilty as Charged, and Chad is high on Tumbleweeds so what does he know, LOLOL

Spider said:
I will say this. I appreciate Chad for being honest. The rest of you are just a bunch of dirty, dirty enablers!
1f602.png

I accept the title of dirty enabler only if you accept it for getting me semi hooked on the GEM razors. that one you sent me almost made me get rid of all my DE stuff when I added the RX to it.

I just try to recognize the difference between need and want. I still own the own the whole line minus Cosmo, Opuntia, and the other new scent can't remember name.

They are good soaps and if you think a scent pyramid is to your liking you should try it and not worry about what beta version it is.

DocHoliday0831 said:
I accept the title of dirty enabler only if you accept it for getting me semi hooked on the GEM razors. that one you sent me almost made me get rid of all my DE stuff when I added the RX to it.
yep, I’m guilty too. Not sure any of us are innocent of the charge in one way or another.

So, you guys got me, now I want to try some SV. So I went to the SV website to figure out what scents I want to try and I hate it, and am totally turned off now. They don't really describe their scents in any meaningful way. They provide a fragrance "Pyramid" as you guys said, but those are pretty much meaningless to me. Just like picking out a cologne, I don't understand what the result will be when those things are mixed together.

Is there anyplace I can get better descriptions of their scents?

Listen buddy, the expectation is you just order 3-4 and give them a shot. If you don't like them, then you have a great prize for the next Bingo game.

Seriously, if they were a soft soap I'd send you samples of each. How one would do that with a hard soap I'm not sure.

Back