The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What's growing?

I am so jealous of you guys and your gardens. The wife and I didn't do anything this year. I know there is always time...but we pretty much gave up on the idea for this year. I have to make new harden boxes anyway. I am thinking of doing cinder blocks or the likes instead of wooden raised beds that I have to replace every other year.
I used paver blocks for the corners and wood planks for the sides. The planks fit right into slots already cut into the pavers and it all holds itself together. I’ve had the one for the last 3 years and the other is on its second year. No signs of needing to replace anything yet.

I used paver blocks for the corners and wood planks for the sides. The planks fit right into slots already cut into the pavers and it all holds itself together. I’ve had the one for the last 3 years and the other is on its second year. No signs of needing to replace anything yet.

I've done something similar to that. I know I could use different wood and combination of wood and pavers. But honestly...I'm thinking the cinder blocks would work great here. It is so humid all the time and we have extreme heat as compared to most of the US. Plus termites here are out of control and while I have a great termite plan...I don't want to test exactly how good it is. Our ground is pretty much clay and so raised garden beds are mandatory! My sis-in-law in PA pretty much tills up the ground and can grow anything. I envy her.

I've done something similar to that. I know I could use different wood and combination of wood and pavers. But honestly...I'm thinking the cinder blocks would work great here. It is so humid all the time and we have extreme heat as compared to most of the US. Plus termites here are out of control and while I have a great termite plan...I don't want to test exactly how good it is. Our ground is pretty much clay and so raised garden beds are mandatory! My sis-in-law in PA pretty much tills up the ground and can grow anything. I envy her.
I probably could plant directly in the soil and get great results too...but this created a small project for me to put together so I went with the beds lol.

I didn't factor in the humidity where you are, or the insects. I used to live in Southwest Florida, and when I lived there I worked for Terminix. So I know Exactly what you’re talking about with the termites. It’s a different species down south. Formosan termites can eat an entire house in about a month if left untreated!

Great gardens. I have not been so lucky in years past so I have pretty much resigned myself to no more attempts. I have done boxes but that doesn’t help either. Some day I may try growing in bails if straw (it’s a real thing) or I’ll just higher the non-profit guys from squash for friends to plant a garden that actually produces something.

I was able to grow loofah’s one year. That was a cool plant. They tasted great and when you let them dry on the vine (more like die and dry out) they turn into the bathtub loofah you are used to. Honestly it was easier to grow and eat than to dry and use but the idea was cool.

nope but i know a guy...

we are growing Lettuce, basil, mini tomatoes, purple chili peppers, mint, cilantro, and strawberries.

Found this guy in the garden last night. Had no idea they got this big. We feed some to our gecko but they are much smaller.

How do I get rid of em?

IMG_20190731_204439604.jpg

Back