The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What ya eatin?

Yes it is. Around these parts restaurants like to have “unique” seasoning for their steamed blue crabs. So this company (harbor spice) that I sometimes help out during their busy times. Has a I think about eight to ten variations they sell. The owner Dan has been doing spices for over 30 years. And is like a mad scientist. He has herbs and raw ingredients from all over the world. And mixes them up in a lab. The 1452 he considers one of his best versions of bay seasoning. Think of it like all the variations of Bay Rum in our hobby.

I went real simple this evening. I took two smaller fillets of sockeye (I think) salmon and just cooked them on their own planks of cedar wood on the grill using indirect heat. It's amazing how the cedar really becomes pronounced in the flavor of the salmon as you eat it. And I absolutely love it. Accompanied by some Jasmati rice cooked with some chicken boullion, olive oil, a small pat of butter and some curry powder. My wife said "mmmmmm" as she ate the rice and my son said "This rice is fire Dad." And I have to say I agree with him.

Lobsters were on sale last week for $5.99 a pound so I picked up 6 of them. We ate four of them yesterday so I took the meat out of the last two this afternoon, mixed in a little mayo and lemon juice and will make the wife and kid some lobster rolls for dinner tonight. I'll pass. Too much shellfish is hard on the kidneys. Intead I'll grill up a Kobe beef cheeseburger with lettuce, vine ripe tomatoes, some worchestershire and Sriracha sauce, ketchup and mustard. Maybe some potato salad to go with it.

Back