The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What is New to You...... SPEAKEASY EDITION

The Court Case: The People -vs- "Smooth Legs" Vargo

Evidence
Exhibit-A: White Claw recommendation
Exhibit-B: Messy hair on Zoom calls
Exhibit-C: Crown Royal Peach whiskey recommendation

Verdict: Don't trust Chad's booze reviews

Sentence: If you do, you get what you deserve.
Oh you....

@BarberDave it's been over 48 hours since you bought a bourbon you alive?

Alive and well. Maybe tomorrow. LOL
Well... it is tomorrow, and although the debacle that will now be further known at the "Karen Vargo TSC Peach Whiskey Incident" or "The KVTWI Incident" for short, I have followed his recommendation.... Yet Again... However this time backed up back extensive research, interviews and vetting, not to mention I remember some times with the weaker brother of this "bird" back on various Air Force Bases and later in College, so we shall see, LOL

WT101.jpg

Had a great time on my "Bro-Date" with @uacowboy today at a local Single Malt Distillery in Tucson called Whiskey Del Bac. The "Bro-Date" tag was from @sunnysanity apparently HEHE

Anyway did a tasting of all their whiskeys.

Del Bac Classic
Del Bac Dorado
Del Bac Old Pueblo
Del Bac Distillers cut

and you can see those and the narrative at :

Whiskey Del Bac | Shop Online for Whiskey & Merch

Could not decide so I chose some small bottles to try before I commit to a 750, plus some glassware, as it is very unique, as well as a pin, and Stickers... both Freebies!

Del Bac.jpeg
The two I chose were the Dorado and Classic. The classic is based on Macallan 12 and distilled following "Scottish" ways. it was very good, and in my opinion, having never been a big fan of Macallan 12 even better and as @uacowboy put it ( paraphrased ) " This is what "Texas on Fire" from Stirling would taste like:. From their website:

Aged 90 Proof - 45% ABV - American Single Malt
Never Sourced - Never Chill Filtered
Whiskey Del Bac Classic is a true American Single Malt, borrowing from the Scottish model of whiskey-making but matured in new American white-oak. Classic is made from a 100% barley malt that is mashed, fermented, copper pot-distilled, aged and bottled on site.

The other, Dorado, was probably the most unique tasting Single Malt and enjoyable since I purchased Dalmore Cigar Malt. It is based on Laphroiag 10, but replaces the standard peat with Mesquite. I did not think I would like it, but WOW, WOW, WOW. From their website:

Mesquite Smoked - Aged 92 Proof - 46% ABV - American Single Malt
Never Sourced - Never Chill Filtered

Whiskey Del Bac Dorado is a single malt whiskey with the true character of the American Southwest. Using the Scottish model of whisky-making, Dorado is made from 100% barley that is malted and smoked over a velvet mesquite fire, mashed, fermented, copper pot distilled, aged and bottled on site.
Dorado has a nose of tobacco and chocolate, giving way to desert campfire embers, and finishing with soft tannins and sweet toffee on the palate.

The other two were good, but the Distillers Cut ( Barrel Proof ) was a bit hot for my liking and the Old Pueblo was so unique that it could take some getting used to as it is about as raw as possible and to my nose and palate very green, and the ancho chile is a surprise when mixed with a White chocolate note. More experimentation with this one is needed.

the Glassware is very heavy and good quality and the etching is deep, not just sticker like, very classy

It was a fun time. Quick clarification, Dorado tastes like Stirling TOF smells to me. Classic isn't smoked. Both are tasty.

That 13 year old Rioja :love:
That was tasty. But the Batch #2 cask strength was the winner for me. They said the #5 that’s just coming out now is even better. I found it and it’s waiting for pick-up. I won’t count it as a purchase though because I’m trying not to buy anything for three weeks, I used store credit and I don’t have it yet. 😁

according to the grill behind the bar

Whoa a talking grill. That place is fancy! Bet you never took Stacy to see a talking appliance before!

He got all gussied up for you- shaved, combed his hair, etc... I get a questionable baseball cap, bed head, and patches of velcro as face stubble. Apparently after 14 years he is bored of me. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Oh Kyle.... he's in trouble!

Back