The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Testing my samples from Histoires de Parfums.

Today is my 2nd try with Petroleum. The first time I tried it, it was reminding me of Tom Ford Our Minerale on dry down, but today I used a bit more and am getting that mixed with occasional whiffs of gasoline, unusual to say the least.

Now yesterday, we went to the National Opera and saw La Bayadere. It's my favorite ballet, and I pulled out my heavy hitter, Frederic Malle Monsieur. I'd used HdP Noir Patchouli in the day, and the two together were scent heaven.

twxGWqC.jpg

Azzaro Visit sample from @Smattayu

This is a low cost Frag and giving you the skinny up front.......I'm buying it. Here's a description from the web.

Embrace youthful charm and sensuality with the fresh-spicy fragrance of the Azzaro Visit Eau de Toilette Spray for men. Introduced in the year 2003, the perfume is invigorating and arresting at the top with citrusy Bergamot and spicy whiffs of Nutmeg, Ginger, Pink Pepper, and Cardamom. In the middle, heady scents of Labdanum and Incense are balanced with warm and soothing nuances of Guaiac wood and Cedar. Balmy notes of Musk and Ambergris merge at the base of this Azzaro perfume for a unique trail that floats with you.

What I got - Off the bat I got hit with the pepper and but it dropped down quick to the warm woody spice and musk. I loved it on dry down but couldn't place it and then it hit me.....................To me it's almost a dead ringer for Nuavia Rossa. Some can't see wearing a scent when you use that soap but I'm buying this to am up the greatness of that some scent to the next level. LOVING this inexpensive Fragrance and will be buying it for sure. Thanks Eric

1580729671868.png
Here's another sample I had from @Smattayu and what is stated online:

Write your perfect fragrance story when you wear the woody, masculine scent of Encre Noire eau de toilette by Lalique. The glass, jewelry and perfume design house of Lalique launched Encre Noire, which is French for Black Ink, for men in 2006. This simple yet powerful aromatic fragrance starts with a smoky-spicy cypress wood top note that yields to a smoky, earthy, leathery vetiver heart. The scent closes with rich musk and smooth cashmere wood base notes. Spray on this rich fragrance composition and expect rave reviews.

I get all the earthy,woody and leathery goodness and am enjoying this one as I did yesterdays. It reminds me somewhat of the Noir Argent but seems to have a slight sweetness to it as well almost like the slightest Noxzema note. Dry down has it on the sweeter side. Another bargain priced goody that is on clearance at the moment so maybe on it's way out. Not a buy for me as it is too similar to the Nuit D'Issey Noir Argent that I prefer but a good one if you're looking for something in this wheelhouse.

Last edited:
I hope Encre Noir isn't going to be discontinued. If so I may have to get a couple more bottles before it becomes extinct.

It's one of my favorites. Especially for this time of the year, up here in the Puget sound.

Back