The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Pantheon Roma - Raffaello
Creamy, dark green beast. I love this one and it goes against most of what I normally go for, as it's a borderline modern gourmand but the dark green artemisia put this in its own league for me. I just found myself going back to the sample again and again over winter, and just decided to do it as it's a perfect classy night out on a warmer day scent. Well the nights out don't happen a lot but I'm imagining myself getting into the fanciest nightclub thanks to this.

DSC01949.jpg

Pierre Guillaume Bagatelle Roma
Pierre says the inspiration of this was from a store opening on a rainy day when someone brought roses on a Vespa. Rain, petrol fumes, and roses. It does that but without feeling dirty. It must have been high octane fuel, but whatever it is, it's lovely and one of the coolest from the house I enjoy so much.

Pierre Guillaume Bagatelle Roma.jpg

Saponificio varesino 70 th anniversary is very similar to acqua di Parma, but it’s edp strength.. I just bought another bottle today. I love it with cella a/s , and their balm as well..typical Italian. Ologne, citrus,fresh, the the edp concentration sticks around all day..just a fyi
Does the 70th frag have a different profile than the AS and soap? I don’t find those to be anything like ADP.

Saponificio varesino 70 th anniversary is very similar to acqua di Parma, but it’s edp strength.. I just bought another bottle today. I love it with cella a/s , and their balm as well..typical Italian. Ologne, citrus,fresh, the the edp concentration sticks around all day..just a fyi
70th is a great scent. I don’t have the EDP but the aftershave doesn’t smell similar to AdP to my nose.

I dont post often here, but here is today's choice for me
70th.JPEG
Viewed some recent discussion on SV 70th and here is my take on it, as a long time user of not only SV, but 70th being my favorite of the line, as well as being a Brand Ambassador for the US distributor, Brand to Markets. The aftershave and the Parfum are distinctly different. The notes of both the pafum and aftershave are.

70th.jpg
that being said they are very different. The obvious is an aftershave vs pafum in strength, however certain skin emollients in the aftershave, do change the scent profile a bit to a bit "Creamier" vibe, or softer if you will. Although they share the same frag notes, they perform much different on the skin, and therefore in the olfactory experience you receive. The parfum is a bit "sharper" and lemon and tangerine forward, The geranium decided to make an appearance before the Amber and Vetiver settle in. The aftershave however gives you a tastes of tangerine, Jasmine and Geranium as more forward. The emollients added to change the, as mentioned above, the overall Olfactory presentation you get. With IMHO no other aftershave or Balm, leaves the skin feeling as "Alive" as 70th.
What you fu

It can be a bit fleeting on the fragrance, in the aftershave, but the skin feel lasts for hours. When combined with the EdP it does re-activate and they compliment each other wonderfully.

What you find in the Aftershave, as opposed to the Edp is: ( this does affect the overall fragrance profile)
  • Rocket: anti oxidant, anti redness​
  • Witch hazel: purifying and decongestant​
  • Lemon: toning, anti-aging, firming​
  • Aloe: healing​
  • Malva: decongestant, emollient, moisturizing​
  • Calendula: nourishing, healing, calming, soothing​
  • Chamomile: soothing, antibacterial, soothing, refreshing​
  • Eucalyptus: balsamic, refreshing, antibacterial​
  • Lavender: antibacterial, soothing​
  • Vitamin E: anti-inflammatory, emollient​

In thier own description SV makes clear that this is the "Adaptation and modern re-interpretation" of a "Classic" scent. We all know that this is obviously AdP. To me this is where that similarity ends. Sure there are wisps of a reminder , but they are different. Adp is a classic for a reason, and again, to me a much sharper Italian Colonia.

They may live in the same neighborhood, but on different streets, LOL Here are the notes of the classic Adp and you will see many of the same Tastes:

AdP notes.png

However the Distinct differences can be noted from the top to the bottom with a bit sweeter profile and a more spicy middle, and with sandalwood and Patchouli to be the notes that linger.

Again just my opinion, however if I had to pick one???? Between Acqua di Parma and SV 70th?

BOTH.

Have a nice day

Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum
After all the fresh greens scents. I got a strong urge for some spiciness. Yesterday was Heeley Esprit du Tigre a marvelous peppery herbal concoction, and today is all about the pepper with a just right touch of sweet musky background. The two share a lot though, the Heeley just being a more modern take, and the Villoresi exuding old school class.

Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum.jpg

Great post Dave.. I remember now you’re the brand ambassador for SV. I love the SV EDP, and have been meaning to try the shave soap, but at $51 it’s a little pricey for me. I love the Italian colognes ,citrus,fresh, just a classic I. My opinion.

“They may live in the same neighborhood, but on different streets “. … what a great line..you’re a very good writer, love to talk to you one day in person..
Best from the motor city..John

Back