The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

I've been doing a lot of sampling recently, as we go into fall, patchouli is calling me, so it's time for another shootout!

This time there are only winners! These are so different as to make each a worthy addition to a patchaholics den. I'm certain I'll end up with bottles of all of them.

Diptyque Tempo - The quintessential green patchouli, this has a sheerness that takes it away from the musty, earthy qualities patch normally has. Rather this glows in effervescent neon green. Matte and violet surely contribute to the effect, and it really is stunning. The downsides for me are it's slightly feminine at times, though many seem to find it masculine, so who knows. The other is after the opening, it's fairly linear, especially compared to the others. However it's unique sheer quality makes it a true winner, and any time I smell the sample I get light headed.

Pierre Guillaume - Intrigant Patchouli
Ooh this is so lovely, over the course of the wear I had many moments where I said how wonderful it was out loud. Sorry Helena, you married a frag head! The opening is very musty, has a turn of the century vibe, similar to the wonder Horizon by Oriza L Legrand. However this only stays musty for a while before turning what I can only describe as creamy beautiful magic. That lasts an hour or two before settling into an almost iris like powdery, creamy goodness that just lasts and lasts. I say that because PG, much as I love the house, can be real hit or miss on longevity. This is a total hit! However that's also it's downside as after a while it does feel like it's just hanging around without much more to say, still the opening conversation is so mesmerizing as to make this small affront worth it.

Lorenzo Villoresi - Patchouli
Oh awaken inner beast! This is just a power house in the opening, dirty, raw, magnificent. Then after 20 minutes or so, suddenly it opens into a 100% accurate cedar cigar box, I can feel little bits of tobacco and cedar dust in the air. Finally it shifts massively again into a stunning barbershop, I mean the absolute archetypical one, and I'm in heaven. The down side is it's accompanied by a tinge of a BO like smell, however, on multiple wearings, it's one of the things that's become endearing about the fragrance, it reminds me of the grandpa.

This is the first of these to be currently on the way to Helsinki for my further enjoyment. Largely thanks to finding it on a great discount, otherwise, I honestly can't choose between the 3, they are all fantastic.

I'll add that I've had the Villoresi sample for I think 2 years and have tried it off and on over that time, and it's only just now that it's actually made sense to me and become a love. That's the nature of this game, the olfactory sense is a strange one.

DSC01820.jpg

Back