The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

I opened a bottle of something that I didn't remember that I had in my basement. Ron Zacapa 23 Year Old Solera Gran Reserve Rum. I poured some into one of my Crate and Barrel Winston single malt whiskey glasses. Dropped a couple rocks in there. The color was a nice deep dark and rich caramel color. Darker than El Dorado 15. At first I took a sniff of the nose and all I could smell was alcohol. I took a sip and felt it was harsh going down. I let the two rocks melt a little and continued sipping. And the more I sipped it, the better it got. Eventually I noticed some nice caramel flavors and it became super smooth. Very nice and a nice competitor to my favorite El Dorado 15 Year. I'll have to enjoy a few more glasses to see if my perspective remains consistent. And I'll have to do a side by side comparison to the El Dorado 15. But I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this bottle.

1564809210088.jpeg
Winston 7 oz. Single Malt Glass

* The glass is just to show what my scotch glasses look like. That's not the Zacapa in the glass.

Ok wait, I just remembered that’s not my favorite. My favorite I’ve only had once in a bar and haven’t purchased yet because I have to order it. Let me find it, there was a discussion on the forums about it.

Haven't tried Zaya. Yet another to add to the list. I love these enabling forums.
Ok wait, I just remembered that’s not my favorite. My favorite I’ve only had once in a bar and haven’t purchased yet because I have to order it. Let me find it, there was a discussion on the forums about it.

Don't listen to Dave...he is one of those guys who likes Coke with his rum... 🤪

Except when it comes to Zaya...that's some good stuff.

Grilled steaks to perfection, killed a wonderful bottle of red and just enjoyed some fresh apple pie and pralines and cream ice cream...long weekend comes to an end. Cheers Cadre!

421D63CD-A96D-4B08-BC90-62426F6E4BCE.jpeg

I never cared for Pepsi as it's too sweet straight up to me compared to Coke. Was that the issue when mixing?
That was exactly the problem. I don't normally drink k pepsi either but we had some and I thought I try it. I actually prefer RC for cola but nothing tops a cold Dr. Pepper.

Question for my bourbon enthusiast friends:

I wanted Buffalo Trace to be my next purchase, but the store I usually buy from doesn’t have it. It does have Eagle Rare though, which comes out of the same distillery I understand. Should I keep looking or are different productions out of the same distillery still just as good?

Back