The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

Mmmmm fermented milk
135.png

Um lactose is technically not a fermentable sugar. Though it is what makes a "milk stout" this sugar is only for mouth feel and residual sweetness, not for its fermentation additions.

135.png

Um lactose is technically not a fermentable sugar. Though it is what makes a "milk stout" this sugar is only for mouth feel and residual sweetness, not for its fermentation additions.
Yea... Duh Dave.

Too much is the answer!

High West Midwinter act 11, act 9, act 11, act 9....on repeat! Then Jack Daniels 12 year. Then Calumet 16. Work is gonna be fun in the morning

Thats good stuff, I picked up a couple 6 packs and a 4 pack ast weekend. California outlawed the growler so we have to get 6 packs and some specialty stuff comes in 1 pint 4 packs (4 pints). As quickly as I am drinking beer these days the six pack or 4 pack probably stays fresher. I DO however have a wonderful small keg like thing that I use for nitro-brewed coffee that keeps beer nice and fuzzy as long as I like. MMM beer

Last week I asked the concierge group for some suggestions as I wanted to explore Japanese whisky and scotch. I have never tried any Japanese whisky and it has been at least 18 years since I have had any form of Scotch excluding the Del Bac Whisky I was gifted in last year's gift exchange (thanks @uacowboy). The Del Bac is technically a single malt AMERICAN whiskey but it borrows heavily from the scotish methods/techniques so the product is similar in many ways to scotch whisky. I didn't get much in the way of recomendations for a Japanese whisky but they graciously provided a couple recommendations for scotch whisky. ...ok "they" was mostly the Dave's (what lushes they are).

@BarberDave recommended a bottle of Dalmore Cigar Malt and @NurseDave suggested a Craigellachie 13yr single malt. At $150+ the Dalmore was intriguing but probably a better second bottle than first. The Craigellachie is more approachable in the $50 range. Sadly, my local liquor guy had very little to choose from in both categories. He did have an assortment of Dalmore but not the cigar malt, I may end up trying the Dalmore 21yr down the road. He did have a couple bottles of higher end Japanese whiskys but I knew very little about them so I didn't grab anything from the top shelf. In fact, his "top shef" scotch went from Dalmor down to Glenlivet, so I didn't grab anything there either.

As I parused the shelves I found a bottle of Suntory Toki Japanese Whisky (a well regarded entry level example of a Japanese whisky) but I didn't find any other scotches. But I DID find a few bottles of Jameson Irish Whisky that sounded interesting and were attractivly priced. I think there was an Orange, a stout and the one I got which was IPA barrel aged. So what did I think of these purchases?

Suntory Loki-
I chose to drink this neat at room temp for my initial impression then again neat with a cigar. It is smother than many of the American Whiskey's I have had but it still had a bit of a bite. The flavor was enjoyable but not very complex or unique. Giving a goos "Swooshing around" in my mouth did expose more character than simply sipping it. When paired with a cigar it comes accross much smoother but the mellow flavor does nothing to add or detract to the cigar experience. My over all impression is that at around $40 this is a decent whisky to have on the shelf but not one I find myself craving more of or thinking about after.

Jameson IPA-

Again, this was taken neat for initial impressions but I have not paired it with a cigar for evaluation on that front. To be clear, I have no experience with Irish Whisky so I have no idea how this is supposed to taste or how it compares to a traditional aged Irish Whisky. My initial impresion was that it was very smooth (much smoother than the Japenese whisky I had tried previously) and almost boardered on watery. Fortunatly upon further exploration I found it had more taste than what I initially thought, giving it a good swooshing around in the mouth really exposed the sweet floral and fruity notes that I associate with an IPA without all the hopiness . Overall I find this whisky much more unique than the Japanese Whisky and one that I can see myself enjoying another glass or two of. On the whole, I think the IPA characteristics imparted in this whisky work well BUT also make it clearly floral/fruity which I think I would tire of rather quickly if this were the only bottle on the shelf.

I still need to find (and buy) a decent Scotch to try, even if it is only a 50ml bottle. I supposed I owe it to the Irish Whisky's to try a more "Traditional" aged version before deciding on how I feel about them on the whole. While I can say with certainty I do NOT like Canadian Whisky, Irish and Japanese whisky's may still have a spot on my shelf.

Thats good stuff, I picked up a couple 6 packs and a 4 pack ast weekend. California outlawed the growler so we have to get 6 packs and some specialty stuff comes in 1 pint 4 packs (4 pints). As quickly as I am drinking beer these days the six pack or 4 pack probably stays fresher. I DO however have a wonderful small keg like thing that I use for nitro-brewed coffee that keeps beer nice and fuzzy as long as I like. MMM beer
Do you have a UKeg?

Do you have a UKeg?
What I have an unbranded version of the Royal Brew. IT functions similarly but is less fancy. It is also designed for cold brew coffee so the dispensing nozel is meant to "cream" the cold brew as it is dispensed, this can make it a little tricky to dispense beer without a super charged ultra thick head. Great for stout beers, they come out a lot like Guiness

Back