The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

Fellow spirits drinkers please see this thread:

Beer drinkers I am working on another project there also.

Sweet? Savory?

If sweet are we talking stone fruit or berry? Or perhaps synthetic like Candy?

If savory are we talking cooking spices? Or sour fruits? Mint?
Let me give you some background:

I've only ever tried Irish whisky. I've had Bushmills....three different colored labels. And some very Irish named whisky...but it was aged 20 years. It was a gift for my step-dad and he insisted that I try some. My son in law drinks Tennessee whiskey (they live in Tennesse) so I have some of that in the house (but I've never tried any).

So to answer your question.........I really don't know. I probably should try some so I can figure out which I prefer. Maybe suggest something beginner friendly. Something I can buy a taster of somewhere.

Let me give you some background:

I've only ever tried Irish whisky. I've had Bushmills....three different colored labels. And some very Irish named whisky...but it was aged 20 years. It was a gift for my step-dad and he insisted that I try some. My son in law drinks Tennessee whiskey (they live in Tennesse) so I have some of that in the house (but I've never tried any).

So to answer your question.........I really don't know. I probably should try some so I can figure out which I prefer. Maybe suggest something beginner friendly. Something I can buy a taster of somewhere.
My question was more for in general.

But hey i'd recommend starting with something that is rather inexpensive and figuring out a profile you like. Once you find that then I can help you find something even better.

Look at Old Forester 86 proof (blue label)
Makers Mark 46
Woodford Reserve
Elijah Craig Small Batch
Jack Daniels Gentleman Jack
Wild Turkey (the low proof option to start)

All of those SHOULD come in mini bottles. So not a large expense. All of those are different profiles. If nothing there then that also helps me figure it out.

My question was more for in general.

But hey i'd recommend starting with something that is rather inexpensive and figuring out a profile you like. Once you find that then I can help you find something even better.

Look at Old Forester 86 proof (blue label)
Makers Mark 46
Woodford Reserve
Elijah Craig Small Batch
Jack Daniels Gentleman Jack
Wild Turkey (the low proof option to start)

All of those SHOULD come in mini bottles. So not a large expense. All of those are different profiles. If nothing there then that also helps me figure it out.
Most of those come in mini bottles that I can pick up at our local liquor store. So that does help. I'll let you know as I try them.

Back