The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

Seeing your kids are still sick I thought you might have posted NyQuil

I'm feeling fine. Kids are doing better after the prescription drugs hit. Crazy how fast those hit the system. But fevers are creeping back up on em.

14257840c87e4db3b64e75095e04ed55.jpg

At Dr. @uacowboy ‘s direction. Hot toddy featuring MaCallan’s [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, I wasn't drinking this last night or this morning for that matter. But I did have this while on Holiday to DC at an Italian Restaurant called Filomena's. The Sommelier suggested this wine based on my wife's preferences. Basically in a nut shell, it is dry and jammy. I found it sweet but not overly. Maybe not the driest re I have ever had...but I thought it was more dry than wet. In my very limited wine knowledge...this is probably my favorite red wine I have had. Wine mag describes it as: "Aromas of dark-skinned berry, underbrush and pipe tobacco lead the nose. The full-bodied palate delivers dried black cherry, raspberry jam and licorice alongside polished tannins."

@NurseDave mentioned elsewhere that he wouldn't drink a wine that he does not like the label. Okay Dave...what gives and why won't you drink this wine? Are you partial to white labels with simple script? You don't like horses? Black and red labels are not in?

The Somm did you right Don, though it is a little young. I imagine the wine got better as you drank it and it was exposed to air. It probably would be a knock out this morning if you still have it. Valpolicella is the wine region this particular maker is from so it has to follow specific rules. Though there are many Italian winemakers that cheat.

So the reason you have a dry sweetness in it is from the way Amarone is processed during the fermentation. After harvest, The grapes( Corvina, Corvinone, and Rondinella) are places in creates to dry for up to 120 days. This reduces water in the grape and leaves more sugar. This high sugar content also increases the alcohol to at least 15%. It is then aged for at least 24 months. They really should be aged 10-15 years to really show their potential. The high price of Amarone is that it basically takes twice as many grapes to make a bottle plus they come from older vines which produce fewer grapes that have more concentration of fruit.

Okay, I wasn't drinking this last night or this morning for that matter. But I did have this while on Holiday to DC at an Italian Restaurant called Filomena's. The Sommelier suggested this wine based on my wife's preferences. Basically in a nut shell, it is dry and jammy. I found it sweet but not overly. Maybe not the driest re I have ever had...but I thought it was more dry than wet. In my very limited wine knowledge...this is probably my favorite red wine I have had. Wine mag describes it as: "Aromas of dark-skinned berry, underbrush and pipe tobacco lead the nose. The full-bodied palate delivers dried black cherry, raspberry jam and licorice alongside polished tannins."

@NurseDave mentioned elsewhere that he wouldn't drink a wine that he does not like the label. Okay Dave...what gives and why won't you drink this wine? Are you partial to white labels with simple script? You don't like horses? Black and red labels are not in?

View attachment 169

The Somm did you right Don, though it is a little young. I imagine the wine got better as you drank it and it was exposed to air. It probably would be a knock out this morning if you still have it. Valpolicella is the wine region this particular maker is from so it has to follow specific rules. Though there are many Italian winemakers that cheat.

So the reason you have a dry sweetness in it is from the way Amarone is processed during the fermentation. After harvest, The grapes( Corvina, Corvinone, and Rondinella) are places in creates to dry for up to 120 days. This reduces water in the grape and leaves more sugar. This high sugar content also increases the alcohol to at least 15%. It is then aged for at least 24 months. They really should be aged 10-15 years to really show their potential. The high price of Amarone is that it basically takes twice as many grapes to make a bottle plus they come from older vines which produce fewer grapes that have more concentration of fruit.

I am out with a friend last night and my wife sends me this picture asking which she should open. My stomach dropped and thought to myself, Oh Lord.

My response was to open the one on the left and you better make sure I have at least one to two glasses left for me when I get home.

I am out with a friend last night and my wife sends me this picture asking which she should open. My stomach dropped and thought to myself, Oh Lord.

My response was to open the one on the left and you better make sure I have at least one to two glasses left for me when I get home.

View attachment 201
I'm confused!?! If you told her the one on the right, when you got home, you'd have the whole bottle ;)

I would have she rather not picked either one. But the one on the right is worth probably twice as much as the one in the left.

It’s only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. And if you’re gonna keep it for yourself, it won’t be worth anything if you never open it [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that was the point @SteveChuckFrank she was going to open it without me. If she is going to be opening something like that I would want to make sure I am there

I am guessing she didn't know what was really in the bottle?

By the way...thanks for the knowledge...I found your post VERY informative. Who knows...with you and @NurseDave around I might actually learn a thing or two about wine!

Back