The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Vintage Gillette DE Razor Passaround

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
Are you stuck in a rut of only using the latest and greatest new/artisan DE razors? Have you ever given vintage DE razors a try????

A while back, I had a discussion with @G'ville Ute about my Yuma razor, and I learned that he had not tried many (if any) vintage Gillette razors. So I packed up a few and sent them to him to test out.

Many folks jump right into new razors and never give vintage razors a chance. I started with vintage, so I never understood this. Especially since vintage razors can be found so inexpensively, shave great, and were built much better than many of today's new razors. If you would like to try these razors out and see what the deal is with vintage, read on....

Here is what is included in the passaround:

3 Piece Razors
1920's Gillette Old Type
1930's Gillette Long Comb NEW
1930's Gillette Short Comb NEW
'38-'41 Gillette Early Tech
1957 Gillette Ball End Tech
YUMA

TTO Razors
40's Style Gillette Superspeed
1965 Gillette Flare Tip Superspeed
1985 Gillette Black Handled Superspeed
1960 Gillette Fatboy Adjustable
1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable
1960's Schick Krona

Rules:
1. There are 12 razors in this pass, so you may keep the box for up to 3 weeks, if you need that long to get through them.
2. Post your results/impressions in this thread. Daily entries not required.
3. You are responsible for paying shipping costs to send the box to the next person on the list.
4. You are responsible for cleaning/disinfecting the razors prior to shipping to the next person.
5. Contact the next person on the list to get their shipping address, and ensure they are ready to accept the pass box.
6. Include me on all PMs between sender/receiver.
7. Must be an active member of the TSC in good standing with at least 50 posts to sign up.
8. Any questions/comments/clarifications, let me know!

To sign up, please add your name to the list.

I would love to try this. I was wanting to try different razors. Thanks so much for this.

1.gobucks5485

I've always wanted to try the Fatboy, Slim, and Krona. I'm in!

1.gobucks5485
2.fhalden

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nice passaround, @Spider! I own at least one of all of those razors, except the Yuma, so I will pass on the passaround this time.

Nice passaround, @Spider .. Great idea for those who haven't been able to try vintage.. That said I'm not in as I have tried most of those also.....

It has been a great opportunity to try some of these great classics. I found a couple that I enjoyed and may look at purchasing in the future.
It also made me really realize how different blades react in different razors! I have found some great combo's through this.
If you haven't tried a vintage, I would recommend jumping in on this opportunity.

Thanks again @Spider for this opportunity.

LBXROBT.jpg

The razors have reached the Great Buckeye state.
Will use my 1st one Friday morning.
I do have to say I am a rookie in the razor world. I do look forward to trying all of them. Even that little one.
Will give a report on what my rookie thoughts are.
Thanks again for this very unique opportunity.

The razors have reached the Great Buckeye state.
Will use my 1st one Friday morning.
I do have to say I am a rookie in the razor world. I do look forward to trying all of them. Even that little one.
Will give a report on what my rookie thoughts are.
Thanks again for this very unique opportunity.
I look forward to hearing how it goes!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I need to try a LC again and perhaps some others so will get in line, Thanks KJ
Time to try out an Open Comb razor!

1.gobucks5485
2.fhalden
3.Patelliott
4.Dave in KY

The time has come to report on this exceptional pass around. Who ever receives this pass around is in for a special treat.
I decided instead of sending daily reports I would just split it in 2 parts.
Twist to open razors and 3 part razors.

I am done with using the 6 twist to open razors. 20200602_162148[1].jpg20200602_162158[1].jpg

Those are not in order on the paper but in order of how I used them. (should have made it in order)
But as I think about it maybe you can match the razor for what it is? If you are a experienced wet shaver you should not have a problem. But if you are like me you might have a problem. I had to ask the spider man for help on a few?

I used a new blade daily on each and used the same brand so it would be consistent.
I do have to say EVERY shave was terrific.
But one razor stood out to me better then the rest?? And I asked the spider man how can I get a hold of this?? How much will this set me back because I have to save up and get this!!
And to my surprise he said it is the cheapest razor of them all!! He said I could buy one on ebay for 15 bucks shipped!! And I am talking about the:
1960's Schick Krona!! Terrific shave with a nice solid long handle!!
All the rest were great and none deserve to be rated the worst so I will say a tie 2-6 with all of them.

Ok now I am on the the 3 piece razors and will report after I am done. (that little one YUMA is very inserting??

GO BUCKS!!

Back