The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Watch List

WotD -Vostok Komandirskie Automatic.
b9e19473646273e197cf054bc1bf5767.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After my last watch post got to thinking ( I know a scary thought )

As a collector of “all things” LOL watches were the gateway drug. Over the years my accumulation has grown. As some of you know. That being said, the paradigm has changed for me in that regard and quite frankly it was due to the recent gift of the Tag Heuer Connected that Sharon gave me for our anniversary. It literally was a game changer for me and in essence has literally stopped my desire for purchase of any more watches…. I know SHOCKING huh!

I will explain. As a connoisseur of all that is horological, I like many was a timepiece snob, not from a cost or brand standpoint mind you, but more from what is really considered a watch.
I have watches that I love as cheap as $10.00 and some that have five zeros attached to the price tag. I love them all, but with technology, a completely new type of horology has become mainstay, and the luxury brands are jumping in to the pool

Many of the new generation no longer wear watches, as with tech, your phone is the new timepiece. Enter the manufacturers and artists of the digital face. As mentioned before, I was a wristwatch snob! Digital…. No way!, a smartwatch?…. Are you kidding me? Although admittedly I do have a Hamilton LCD digi throwback as I remember my dad owning a Pulsar digi back in the 70’s and it was just high tech cool back then.

As an “Apple” guy, I finally relented and bought an apple watch. A fantastic piece of tech, has everything you would ever want, and a phone! Yes folks I am Dick Tracy. The future is now!

one BIG problem….. it did not look like a “real” watch. Big problem! Convenience aside, the snob in me was bubbling up. I know there were others that were more “watch like”. But was ignorant on what they were like, they ran on Android, and looked cheap!

Here comes Tag Heuer! As an owner of a few “Tags” already it was worth a look and research. Hmmm this might be a winner, but how would the watch faces look? Hmmm this may be a winner. The Tag designed faces were spot on to their non-digital line so now i had immediately had 10 more Heuers including a few Carerras, which if purchased as a “real watch” would have been multiple thousands. They are geniuses!

not only do I get a quality wristwatch, with multiple faces, but also all the techy info needed from our need to be completely informed on seemingly everything….. But wait there is more!!!

Now, enter “high end” Swiss watch makers endorsing digital faces for these “next generation” smart watches and watch wearers. Now only do you now have “branded faces” that replicate their standard line, but you know have digital artists that are changing the watch world, and even bringing the digital watch into actually manufactured time pieces. Everyone is a winner

Companies such as, Tag Heuer, AVI-8, Maurice La Croix, Formex, Waldhoff, MVMT, Shinola, Sinn, Straton, and many more are now creating digital “faces” that are barely discernible from the actual watch

Of course many of your “big guy” companies like Rolex, Panerai, Omega, and others have yet to jump on, but I suspect it is only a matter of time, as the “wristwatch wearing” generation is losing ground and watch sales are in the tank.

Why would a company do this? When they can get thousands for the real watch? Well…. You get 50 people to spend $5,000 on a timepiece you have $250,000. That is a select few and they may never buy another.

On the flip side, the same company gets 100,000 digital watch wearers to spend $1.99 you have about $200,000 with taxes. However here is the jackpot. If you have multiple faces of your most desired watches, these same “wearers” will now buy multiple faces. That is millions

Online face vendors such as Facer, Watchmaker, as well as many more now offer over 100,000 different faces, from both manufacturers and the new digital artists and have created some of the most unique faces available from analog to digital, branded to original. Most of which you can customize yourself so literally millions of combinations

You could literally have a new watch on your wrist every day for the rest of your life and never repeat!

Can’t afford a Rolex, Tag, Panerai, Sinn, Omega, La Croix. Get a digital one, and most of them are endorsed by the actual manufacturer. So it is a “real one” in digital form. To quote Flynn from Tron “Digital Jazz Man”

Will this replace the real deal for me, of course not, but it will most likely be the last watch I purchase, maybe ( haha i know you are laughing ).

it is worth a look gents, especially for those that want to enjoy all the good of horology without too much of a major investment

here is an example. This watch retails for about $4500. Digital face $1.99 +the cost of your smart watch

8993CD71-7019-4425-8BC0-62486A50B4D9.jpeg
Just some thoughts. What say you?

Cheers

Last edited:
Back