The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Watch List

Has anyone compared the Seiko King Turtle (SRPE03) and Capt. Willard (SBDC109)? Either would be a fine watch to have; however, the Capt. Williard costs 2-3X the King Turtle. Both have sapphire crystals, drilled lugs and fantastic lume, and the King Turtle has a ceramic bezel insert and the bracelet is 2 mm wider. The Capt. Willard bracelet looks to be better constructed and has the 6R vs. the 4R movement (not sure if the movement matters in timekeeping or reliability). The Capt. Willard model was worn in the movie Apocalypse Now, so maybe that accounts for most of the difference?

I like both watches for different reasons. Either one would look better on a NATO strap, IMO. My eye is drawn to the King Turtle case. I'm still not sure about the asymmetrical case design of the Capt. Willard, but I do like the 70s-style dial markers and hands on it better, though.

Anyone here done a similar comparison, and what did you decide between the two? And get both is not the correct answer. :ROFLMAO:

SRPE03.jpgSBDC109.jpg

Has anyone compared the Seiko King Turtle (SRPE03) and Capt. Willard (SBDC109)? Either would be a fine watch to have; however, the Capt. Williard costs 2-3X the King Turtle. Both have sapphire crystals, drilled lugs and fantastic lume, and the King Turtle has a ceramic bezel insert and the bracelet is 2 mm wider. The Capt. Willard bracelet looks to be better constructed and has the 6R vs. the 4R movement (not sure if the movement matters in timekeeping or reliability). The Capt. Willard model was worn in the movie Apocalypse Now, so maybe that accounts for most of the difference?

I like both watches for different reasons. Either one would look better on a NATO strap, IMO. My eye is drawn to the King Turtle case. I'm still not sure about the asymmetrical case design of the Capt. Willard, but I do like the 70s-style dial markers and hands on it better, though.

Anyone here done a similar comparison, and what did you decide between the two? And get both is not the correct answer. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 85558View attachment 85559
Caliber and case design are the biggest differences. The 6R has a longer power reserve (~70 hours to ~40 hours on the 4R). The 6R offers more magnetic resistance. Both are 24 jewels, 21.6K VPH and both are hackable and offer hand-winding.

Personally I like the asymmetrical / offset look of the Willard, but other that offering a crown guard (and looks), there's no real benefit.

The King Turtle obviously offers day/date complication whereas the Willard has date only.

Also, you may not think it matters much, but I can tell a difference re. the bracelet widths when wearing them. I find the smaller bracelet on the Willard more comfortable. YMMV of course.

Hope this helps!

Caliber and case design are the biggest differences. The 6R has a longer power reserve (~70 hours to ~40 hours on the 4R). The 6R offers more magnetic resistance. Both are 24 jewels, 21.6K VPH and both are hackable and offer hand-winding.

Personally I like the asymmetrical / offset look of the Willard, but other that offering a crown guard (and looks), there's no real benefit.

The King Turtle obviously offers day/date complication whereas the Willard has date only.

Also, you may not think it matters much, but I can tell a difference re. the bracelet widths when wearing them. I find the smaller bracelet on the Willard more comfortable. YMMV of course.

Hope this helps!
Mark, thanks for the feedback. You're right about the asymmetrical case forming the crown guard on the Capt. Willard, and the larger power reserve is another benefit. I have a small wrist, and I tend to favor 20 mm bracelets as well. I will give it another look. Thanks again.

Seiko "Willard" on the wrist today.
It does look good, and it has a much cleaner dial than the King Turtle. The crown guard is not as noticeable on wrist. I like the 70's vibe as well. Thanks for posting the wrist shot. I'm gonna noodle a little bit on one. I may be a goner. :)

@wristwatchb Not really anything set when I look into the Watch case in the morning and depending on the weather depending on how hot it is depending on different things as what I decide on I really don’t have a favorite, Just whatever Strikes me at the moment. Like right now I can’t seem to take this monster off my wrist. I like it so much it’s one of the most comfortable watches I have

Back