The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

Razor: Gillette Aristocrat
Blade: Wizamet
Brush: The Todoroki
Shave Cream: Ethos Grooming Blue Note
Aftershave: Ethos Grooming Blue Note

I actually had Blue Note a day before before the Sandalwood arrived, but held off because I wanted to have whiskers to test the sandalwood soap on lol. The scent for this shave cream was inspired by Maison Margiela's Jazz Club. I had a small decant of Jazz Club at one point, though I have no idea where it is now. It has been on my to-buy list for a while, but was just catapulted up to the top. I do love having a matching set of shave cream, aftershave, and frag.

I pretty much grab my razors on a whim when it's time to shave, so there are a lot of them that don't see much use. The Aristocrat falls into the rarely used camp, though I always enjoy shaving with it. Grabbed the Todoroki, popped the lid on the shave cream, and got to it. First off, I have shave soaps that are softer than this cream so loading the brush from the tub was not a problem. As with most Ethos products I've used, it was fairly thirsty but didn't require the fire hose to get it to where I wanted it. Scent strength was moderate and fantastic. It has been a while since I smelled Jazz Club, but I'd say this is pretty close. Warm and spicy with some citrus notes playing peekaboo, I'd curl up on the couch with this for a laid back evening of Korean drama binging. I generally test slickness with a straight razor, which I will definitely do with this cream, but based off of experience with my other creams while using a safety razor this is as slick as the best of them. Three easy passes left me with a BBS and no sting from the alum. Splashing on the AS gave me a slightly different experience, as once it hit the skin it actually felt a bit like a thin lotion. It was odd, since I'm pretty sure it is the same formulation as my other splashes from Ethos. Maybe there was a bit of the cream left on my skin and it reacted with that. Either way it felt great. I'm seriously considering 3017ing this tub, but only if I make sure to order a spare first. Don't want to run out, have it be out of stock, and have to wait to use it again.

kUmsBUzl.jpg

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

If you’re not planning out your shaves the night before and matching your brush and razor to the soap label - is it really shaving?😂

View attachment 103265

jack-nicholson-the-shining.gif

Excellent shave set today! Slick brush! Is that one of your creations?

Thanks Chris! It is one of mine. An attempt that worked pretty well, though there is some tweaking to do. I love how the colors came out though.

Razor: Gillette Aristocrat
Brush: The Todoroki
Shave Cream: Ethos Grooming Blue Note
Aftershave: Ethos Grooming Blue Note

I actually had Blue Note a day before before the Sandalwood arrived, but held off because I wanted to have whiskers to test the sandalwood soap on lol. The scent for this shave cream was inspired by Maison Margiela's Jazz Club. I had a small decant of Jazz Club at one point, though I have no idea where it is now. It has been on my to-buy list for a while, but was just catapulted up to the top. I do love having a matching set of shave cream, aftershave, and frag.

I pretty much grab my razors on a whim when it's time to shave, so there are a lot of them that don't see much use. The Aristocrat falls into the rarely used camp, though I always enjoy shaving with it. Grabbed the Todoroki, popped the lid on the shave cream, and got to it. First off, I have shave soaps that are softer than this cream so loading the brush from the tub was not a problem. As with most Ethos products I've used, it was fairly thirsty but didn't require the fire hose to get it to where I wanted it. Scent strength was moderate and fantastic. It has been a while since I smelled Jazz Club, but I'd say this is pretty close. Warm and spicy with some citrus notes playing peekaboo, I'd curl up on the couch with this for a laid back evening of Korean drama binging. I generally test slickness with a straight razor, which I will definitely do with this cream, but based off of experience with my other creams while using a safety razor this is as slick as the best of them. Three easy passes left me with a BBS and no sting from the alum. Splashing on the AS gave me a slightly different experience, as once it hit the skin it actually felt a bit like a thin lotion. It was odd, since I'm pretty sure it is the same formulation as my other splashes from Ethos. Maybe there was a bit of the cream left on my skin and it reacted with that. Either way it felt great. I'm seriously considering 3017ing this tub, but only if I make sure to order a spare first. Don't want to run out, have it be out of stock, and have to wait to use it again.

kUmsBUzl.jpg

That’s a great looking shave my friend. Love that brush handle.
BTW the splash does have a couple new ingredients in it.

Now you just need the cologne. Maybe I should make then.

Thanks for sharing the photo. 😊👍🏼

A couple of shaves with the new Henson AL13 Aggressive.

Razor: Henson AL13 Aggressive
Blade: Feather
Brush: Sorrentino Turquoise
Soap: CBL Orion California Sunrise
Aftershave: CBL Post Shave Tonic
EDP: Amouage Sunshine Man

First shave with the new aggressive AL13, and I went with the same blade as I use in the mild AL13. CBL Orion did it's thing and left me with a lovely surface to skate the razor along. There is actually a bit of blade feel in this razor, though it is still mild, and the feather ended up being a mistake for me. That is a blade that has never really agreed with my skin until I used one in the original AL13, and didn't care for it in the aggressive model either. I do use the term aggressive loosely. This is still a pretty mild shaver, though it is possible to get a rough shave with it(as I discovered) unlike the original. I went three passes while chasing the baby, and there was irritation and redness in the trouble spots on my neck, though it was a very smooth result. A hefty dose of tonic and a couple sprays of Sunshine Man and I still left the shave den happy.

WBHHFMRl.jpg

Shave #2 with the new razor

Razor: Henson AL13 Aggressive
Brush: Rubberset 400 knockoff w APShave Gelousy fan
Soap: Barrister & Mann Le Grand Chypre
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Le Grand Chypre
EDP: Costume National Homme

Switched to the Wizamet for this shave, and the difference was night and day. A stellar three pass BBS with no irritation. A nice glug of the aftershave and a few sprays of the new frag and I was practically skipping out the door...to shovel a few inches of slushy snow with a nice crust on top that accumulated last night. It was a good workout that ended without a back injury, so all is well. All in all I like the aggressive better than the mild, though it isn't as effortless and a bit more care is required. It's a fun and unique feeling razor and I'll be hanging onto it. It should be noted that, due to both the lightness and geometry of both this razor and the AL13 mild, I have to use more water for a thinner lather than with other DE's. Otherwise it doesn't make it through the lather to my whiskers unless I add some pressure.

cBjLLxcl.jpg

Sweet that you got things dialed in. If you ever get the chance, look up the Henson creators on YT - its ironic they created such a high selling razor - and they aren’t traditional wetshavers.

Le Grand Chypre is my favorite scent in all of wetshaving!

Have a fantastic day!

A while back someone mentioned Rive Gauche in a thread. I don’t exactly recall where or when, but I do remember that it brought to my attention the fact that I hadn’t seen my bottle since I moved. Hoping that it was just stashed in a box somewhere, I put it in the back of my mind until I had time to actually go through everything in the basement and look for it, but it bothered me since that juice is basically unobtainium unless you’re willing to pay painfully high prices for it(which I am not). I was finally able to do a thorough search today, and turned up not only my bottle of Rive Gauche, but a few other frags as well. So happy that they didn’t disappear.

BDF5D948-1D76-4C22-AD5E-D218746D8D64.jpeg

Back