The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Wine Cellar

You guys are killing me! Seems I have to take a trip out to Niagara to photo some vineyards...Napa of the North! Actually as you guys and my cellar seem to have Napa down I will proffer that which you can’t get! The Northern juice! See...just not a pretty face @woodpusher
I can say I have never tried a Canadian wine

And now...keeping with the Australian theme...Cab Sav, Malbec, Merlot, Petit Verdot blend...2016 Shotfire by Thorn-Clarke
807A3C1D-CEF1-4EB7-9FE8-8DF1C4261B3A.jpeg

Last edited:
Something I think is interesting. These propellers are in valley floor vineyards for frost protection. In the fall before harvest the nights can get pretty cool. And that’s one of the reasons Napa makes world class grapes. But frost will ruin grapes. So when the cold air is settling on the valley floor in the early morning, they will fire up the propellers to mix the air to get it just warm enough to not freeze.
0F4FAD3D-17A4-40E0-AA6C-4682EB2D90F1.jpeg

I opened an interesting one for a US wine tonight. I’ve mentioned Paraduxx before, but this is a co-fermented wine. Which means two different grapes are fermented together. In this case it’s Zinfandel juice fermented on the skins of Viognier grapes. Later blended with Cab.

8FDA565B-B052-40EA-9289-0944FA253163.jpeg

Now that sounds quite intriguing...I like all three on their own...

Of potential interest, the wine club at Paraduxx doesn’t include a discount, but does include free shipping. But I don’t know how that works for you foreign types.

Something I think is interesting. These propellers are in valley floor vineyards for frost protection. In the fall before harvest the nights can get pretty cool. And that’s one of the reasons Napa makes world class grapes. But frost will ruin grapes. So when the cold air is settling on the valley floor in the early morning, they will fire up the propellers to mix the air to get it just warm enough to not freeze.
View attachment 16179
This is actually really interesting! Doing a quick read of them I guess there are different devices that do similar things around the country. I guess there is a device that blows cold air from the ground upward also. Not sure how effective that would be. The fan moving the warmer air above to below seems like the better idea. I wonder why other forms of agriculture don't do this? Maybe they do and I have just never seen it. I am thinking specifically about Cherry Trees in colder climates like Michigan (That begin the fruit cycle early in the year and harvest in June...June can still yield frost and snow in Michigan sometimes). And also citrus trees in Florida where they harvest in the fall. Just think this is a simple but ingenious way to utilize the atmosphere to a farmers advantage!

My guess is the situation has to be very specific. Here is a microclimate in a very small area where just a matter of a few degrees difference over a few hours is what they are dealing with. I imagine much colder than that and there isn’t warmer air right above to mix.

Another interesting technique is spraying wateron the vines. Then there is a thin ice layer on the outside of the berry which insulates the berry itself. Kind of counter intuitive. Most folks use the big fans though.

Another interesting technique is spraying wateron the vines. Then there is a thin ice layer on the outside of the berry which insulates the berry itself.
I know they use this method in some of the Orange Groves in Florida. It does seem counter-intuitive...but it makes a little sense if you think about it. Kind of like insulating yourself with snow if you are lost in the wild with no way to make shelter.

Back