The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Wine Cellar

@Cvargo would it surprise to hear that we’ve been there a few times? ☺

This winery is at the base of the hill which leads to Auberge du Soleil where we got married. They also supply the house wine to Auberge. What is really awesome is a Zinfandel they have called Predator which tastes smoky and is AWESOME with meat off the grill. Their other wines were not totally my bag as they tended to not be as bold and juicy as many Napas but I’m am curious what you think. The label says Napa Valley so it includes grapes from several areas. If you’re drinking it now I would decent it or at least open and pour a glass or two an hour before you’re going to drink it. It’s pretty young.

@Cvargo would it surprise to hear that we’ve been there a few times? ☺

This winery is at the base of the hill which leads to Auberge du Soleil where we got married. They also supply the house wine to Auberge. What is really awesome is a Zinfandel they have called Predator which tastes smoky and is AWESOME with meat off the grill. Their other wines were not totally my bag as they tended to not be as bold and juicy as many Napas but I’m am curious what you think. The label says Napa Valley so it includes grapes from several areas. If you’re drinking it now I would decent it or at least open and pour a glass or two an hour before you’re going to drink it. It’s pretty young.

It'll be with dinner tonight. Thanks for the tips

Tonight we’re finally going to sit down to our first nice meal to celebrate moving. A co-worker brought me a nice big slice of smoked brisket and I opened one of those special wines.

Continuum is a winery started by Tim Mondavi and is up on Pritchard Hill which is also the home of Chappellet which has a long and famous history in Napa.

2013 was a stellar year for Napa Cabs and especially those meant to be aged. It was also Continuum’s first release that was 100% grown on estate. 66% Cabernet, 21% Cab Franc, 9% Petit Verdot, and 4% Merlot.

35ED14D3-847F-423D-BCBF-AC157CB0FB17.jpeg

8D8BDB4F-3170-494C-A5DB-3771D0E0AA9C.jpeg
I have to say that this Cab Sav is just about the tastiest I have had in a long time!

Last edited:
Good ole Gotts. His dad is the wine maker at Davis Estates. One of the newer and one of my favorite wineries in Napa. And his wife was the winemaker at Quintessa. More delicious stuff.

Thanks for the back story @NurseDave this is our first outing with this one and it comes in the recommendation of a family friend...tasty indeed!

Steak tonight and decided to splurge with a wine from Realm. This is a winemaker that I only have a few from because the price range starts too high and the stuff is too good. The brand was also started by a fellow nurse from my organization.

DEAD5AC2-1DB9-4FFE-B966-2E3C229F253B.jpeg

"This blessed plot, this earth, this realm..." Immortal lines from William Shakespeare’s King Richard II, the source of Realm’s – and this wine’s – name. We’ve made this Cabernet Sauvignon-dominated blend since 2003, our tribute to the great wines of Bordeaux’s Left Bank. We consider The Bard to be the quintessential wine of Realm: a dense, weighty and concentrated wine that year in and year out showcases the very best Cabernet Sauvignon of Napa Valley. Beckstoffer To Kalon and Dr. Crane, Blair Vineyard, Weitz Vineyard, Fortuna Vineyard and Beckstoffer Orchard have all found a place in The Bard. While the composition of the wine varies from year to year, Cabernet Sauvignon typically comprises over 70% of the blend, joined by lesser percentages of Merlot, Cabernet Franc and/or Petit Verdot.

Back